Zillow listing service

12 Replies

Their website is SUPER BUGGY.. I have learned to make the description short, spell out phone numbers or web/email addresses, and dont use bullet points, paragraphs or any other post-1970 computer markup. I'm surprised they allow lowercase letters, to be honest.

Also their "tenant application" is a joke. Otherwise, 90% of their users will just click the big blue buttons and trigger an email to you, not actually read your ad or any instructions within.

I use Zillow and they put the ads on hotpads and trulia as well. Just got notice today they're going to start charging a listing fee in Florida now. But only if you have more than one property. We only have one in that state so not an issue (yet) I haven't had any issues with making advertisements but no matter what venue you use, people don't read ads nowadays which is really frustrating.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

Zillow Rental Manager used to be Postlets.

I also got an email today about their new pricing structure.  $9.99 per week per listing.

Are there other good places to place rental ads?  I have never gotten anything out of Craigslist.

Originally posted by @Nicky Reader:

Also their "tenant application" is a joke. Otherwise, 90% of their users will just click the big blue buttons and trigger an email to you, not actually read your ad or any instructions within.

I get that quite a bit.  People who sent me email from Zillow and have zero content in the message.  I am not sure what triggered that.  I usually just sent back a reply saying "Thank you for your interest in this property, please let me know if you need additional information and good luck with your house hunting".

Another thing that's really annoying with Zillow is they seem to have a problem with properties not bought and sold via MLS.

With MLS sold properties they seem to be able to carry most of the information correctly.

But with private sale they do not have info on them and if you claim it as your property and edit the details, features, uploaded photos, in about a month or so this information will be erased automatically. I have contacted their support before and was told they fetch info from MLS and when it does it overwrites the old data with new info. Only in the case of my two properties bought through private sale they would overwrite with old data on MLS which wipes out my new data. There is no way to fix it they said. I have one fourplex that's shown as land only on Zillow but because it changed hands about 4 times in the last 30 years all through private sale, Zillow keeps saying it's land only LOL.

I was experiencing the same thing too. I posted my listing on Zillow and it says it will be syndicated with trulia and other websites, but for some reason, after I posted, it was declined by one of their websites. I just emailed their support to help me out but it wasted me a lot of time on this! 

Originally posted by @Kenny Dahill :

What are your thoughts about their $9.99 per weekly listing?  I would hate to forget to remove my listing, or worse rely on my property manager to remove it.

If it brings results I don't have a problem with it.  However it's buggy, it syndicates to less site then the used to be free Postlets, so I am looking at other sites.

Originally posted by @Sam Leon:
Originally posted by @Kenny Dahill:

What are your thoughts about their $9.99 per weekly listing?  I would hate to forget to remove my listing, or worse rely on my property manager to remove it.

If it brings results I don't have a problem with it.  However it's buggy, it syndicates to less site then the used to be free Postlets, so I am looking at other sites.

Which options are you considering?

wow. didn't know zillow was charging.

They're really trying to please the investors. Their stock sank recently.

I wonder if they will charge for rental listings that are syndicated from the MLS.

I guess one way around this is to make a bunch of separate zillow accounts, one property per account.

Zillow should be thanking US for the data they get.

As soon as they start charging, people will just go back to facebook and craigslist.

Promotion
Obie Insurance
Coverage for your rental
Get a quote for your rental property in 2 minutes or less.
Save on landlord insurance. A transparent, simple, and affordable way to protect your investment.
Start Saving