Treehouse at my rental

2 Replies

I have a house that I would like to rent out, and it has a treehouse in the back yard (I built it).  How do I deal with the treehouse in my lease?  Of course I'll write in a liability clause and have a lawyer look it over, but I'm a little concerned about liability.  Any thoughts here?

Edward, there's actually a lot about this very issue online...a tree house - along with a bunch of other cool things - are considered attractive nuisances and, as such, the liability is on a higher bar.  Here's an article that addresses tree houses and more and what safety measures might be put in place to reduce injury/liability.  It's a risk - not only for kids but for adults too - so your plan is where I would start and add in the safety measures described in the article.

https://www.esurance.com/info/homeowners/what-is-an-attractive-nuisance

Hope this helps...

Originally posted by @Edward Debbs :

I have a house that I would like to rent out, and it has a treehouse in the back yard (I built it).  How do I deal with the treehouse in my lease?  Of course I'll write in a liability clause and have a lawyer look it over, but I'm a little concerned about liability.  Any thoughts here?

Take it down. It's a liability with no measurable benefit to you as a rental property owner.