Software to stay Organized

14 Replies

Since I only have 8 units, I'm not using any PM software. I use quickbooks for all the bookkeeping. It isn't the most intuitive but it keeps all the finances organized. And the reporting is pretty good.

As for the property management tasks, I use online forms to keep things systematized. Maintenance requests are all online submissions, etc. 

Works on the small scale, as my portfolio grows I will look into software, but for the size that I am right now, I cannot justify the cost.

@Vernon Trice III . I use QuickBooks online for all financials and tax information. I keep an excel file with a tab for each property to document things such as paint color, tile type, etc. I also have a separate bank account that is only used for my rental properties and that is linked to QuickBooks.

Originally posted by @Timothy VanWingerden :

Since I only have 8 units, I'm not using any PM software. I use quickbooks for all the bookkeeping. It isn't the most intuitive but it keeps all the finances organized. And the reporting is pretty good.

As for the property management tasks, I use online forms to keep things systematized. Maintenance requests are all online submissions, etc. 

Works on the small scale, as my portfolio grows I will look into software, but for the size that I am right now, I cannot justify the cost.

For the management tasks what online forms do you use? is it a website that you set up and is done automatically or something that you have to update and tweak ? Im super interested in what you have to say about that. Thats a huge topic for me at the moment. I was thinking that the tenant would zelle me the money but I want a better process than that!

Originally posted by @Cole Raiford :

@Vernon Trice III. I use QuickBooks online for all financials and tax information. I keep an excel file with a tab for each property to document things such as paint color, tile type, etc. I also have a separate bank account that is only used for my rental properties and that is linked to QuickBooks.

Yeah I heard that quickbooks was a little ridged. What other products are out there?

Originally posted by @Dante Feria :

Stessa is a free app you can download on your phone.

Hey ! just looked them up and seems like a promising platform! also its back by JLL which is a major company. Might have to give this a try.

@Vernon Trice III For rent payments I use Cozy.co which works great. They also have the option of mailing or dropping off a check where I work. 

I've used a couple of different form builders and all work pretty much the same: 123FormBuilder, SurveyMonkey, Google Forms, etc.

The maintenance request is just a simple form that provides contact information, description of problem, and drop down for category. That gets emailed to me, which I in turn forward onto a contractor. If it is not an urgent request, I will queue it for my handyman to complete at the end of the month so that if there is another request it can be taken care of in one service call. The nice part about this is now I have a paper trail with not much work involved on my part. 

Of course, as I scale this process would change a bit but it works for my size.

@Vernon Trice III I use a free app called Tellus, tenants have been paying more on time and it’s full of features. My mother and husband use it too and we all can collaborate and help each other manage the homes. Definitely check it out if you want a full system. It does expense reporting, cash flow statements, rent roll, listings, screenings, collect rent, chat, etc.

Hi @Vernon Trice III ,

There are several solutions for what you are looking for.  There are large portfolio PM software and smaller portfolio landlord software.  The large portfolio software will have a lot more bells and whistles but hard to justify the cost for most landlords.  I'll share about the other solutions.

Software:  There are several options for landlords to help self-manage: Burbz, Cozy, Tenant Cloud, TurboTenant, etc. They essentially offer the same key features for rent collection, helping lease your property and then maintenance requests.  Things to consider are which marketing sites they syndicate to, accounting functionality and if they have an attached marketplace for vendors.  Some are free and others have either a monthly membership or per-unit cost.

Grab Bag:  If you choose not to use one of the software companies, often people will use a few other programs to help self-manage.

• Rent Collection: Free apps like Venmo, PayPal or Zelle can get your rent paid electronically.
  • Accounting:  Landlords can use QuickBooks or Quicken to track all their costs.
  • Maintenance Requests:  A lot use their personal phone and do it the old-school way through call/text
  • Listing:  You can create accounts on Zillow and other popular sites to list your rentals, then coordinate all the emails for viewings and applications.

@Vernon Trice III Look into Stessa it’s free and I use it to keep track of my documents, leases, expenses and other details for my properties. I still use quickbooks for my accounting but as far as being able to get all my info at a glance I’ve really enjoyed using Stessa.