Votes
Lana Rowan
  • New Haven, CT
Votes |
Determine tenant responsiblity to use rental security deposit

Lana Rowan
  • New Haven, CT
Posted Aug 10 2019, 10:40

Below is text from my tenant as of Aug 10 (they are moving out Aug 25).  This is after him not "allowing" us to enter to show the house the last two weeks due to them getting ready and the house in disarray. It would be nice to use some of the security money to pay for repairs. Our lease states: "DEDUCTIONS. Landlord may deduct reasonable charges from the security deposit for: (4.) Costs of cleaning, deodorizing, and repairing the Property and its contents for which Tenant is responsible."

"Forgot to mention, the downstairs bathroom shower, the pink soap holder fell off, the opening gives you a good view of the condition in the wall behind the tile. The area behind it is all moldy and rotted. A friend of mine (contractor) looked at it, he said this damage has been developing for many years, he can repair it for you the right way by removing about 16" of tbe lower area of the pink tile, replace the board behind it then place white over it. He said he can do it for $700, he lives in North Haven. Also we've tried several times to clean the mold on the ceiling in the upstairs bathroom, painted once not working. My friend said that bathroom needs an exhaust fan by code, just a heads up."

The mold on the ceiling is in Bathroom #1. I don't know how long it has been on the ceiling (the bathroom has a shower, operable window but no vent). We lived in the house for 5 years and never had mold on the
ceiling.

The soap dish fell off in Bathroom #2. We never used the shower in the 5 years we lived there and I am fairly confident the tenant before them (1.5 years) didn't use the shower either-we used Bathroom #1.

Loading replies...