Thinking about DIY painting, advice?

4 Replies

Hello,

I recently purchased a quadplex and one unit is vacant. My PM recomend to repaint the unit. I got quote at around $3/sqft which is average. The unit is 1150 sqft 2bed/1.5 bath, ceiling about 7.5 ft, two stories.

How long would this take to paint? I am thinking about painting myself along with a handyman. I am hoping to paint it in 3 days over the weekend starting at 7 and paint till 7. Any idea how long this would take? Any advice? Is primer necessary? Thank you!

Originally posted by @Robert Hernandez :

Hello,

I recently purchased a quadplex and one unit is vacant. My PM recomend to repaint the unit. I got quote at around $3/sqft which is average. The unit is 1150 sqft 2bed/1.5 bath, ceiling about 7.5 ft, two stories.

How long would this take to paint? I am thinking about painting myself along with a handyman. I am hoping to paint it in 3 days over the weekend starting at 7 and paint till 7. Any idea how long this would take? Any advice? Is primer necessary? Thank you!

I generally use a paint/primer combo. Expect to have to do several coats for a nice clean look. If there are any deep or dark colors you are painting over it could be 5+ coats. Also add in time for taping/masking. If you have a sprayer you will spend more time taping/masking, but save quite a bit of time on the painting itself. 

1150 square feet might not seem like a lot, but believe me that it will take a long time even with another person. 

You can do it. I don't bother to tape/mask things off.  Get a good brush and take your time cutting in.  When I work with another person, I usually start doing the cutting in and they follow painting the rest with a roller; then I grab a roller and help once I am done.

If you are painting over a dark colour, you can get paint that will cover it in one coat.  I went over a dark red with a light teal in a single coat using a higher quality paint.  I don't bother priming if it has already been painted.  

When you are filling the holes, put a piece of low tack tape next to it, to help you see where they are when you do a light sanding.

You can do it. I posted some tips on your other thread, but I wanted to add that I only prime if I'm going over a really dark color or have a unit that has been smoked in and I need to get rid of the smell. The day before I start I go through with a little bucket of mudd and fill in all of the holes so that they can dry overnight. Be sure to do your edging first and then roll the paint on. That way you won't get too close with the roller and screw up your ceiling. Another thing I do is paint it Agreeable Gray with an accent wall in the living room. It just classes it up a little. Many people live in apartments their whole lives and are sick of the white. Good luck!

2" Short handle brush for cutting in

Good drop cloth for carpet areas

One of the "paint in the handle" rollers. Love those things. 

Time varies but I could do that size in 1 day (12 hour) walls only.

If you need to paint the trim add 1/2 day

If you need to prime the trim add 1/2 day