Evicted tenant keeps circling around

8 Replies

I recently purchased a home where the owner had to evict tenant. The tenant showed her true colors throughout this lengthy process. We finally closed and have started rennovations in the home. Oddly everytime I go do some cleaning or supervision of the work, I see the tenant circling the block. The last straw was yesterday when I saw her stop in front of the house in a vehicle with a Male companion, while pointing at the house. I am starting to feel very uncomfortable and am wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to handle this situation. Thank you!

@Erica Martinez is do two things. First, go to your local police department and share your concerns. They may not be able to help with a restraining order, but they may be able to offer some suggestions. Even if it’s just that they will drive by occasionally.

Second thing is that I would Keep a notebook and make note of the day, time every time you see her. Hopefully you’ll never need it, but if you do need to get the courts involved, you’ll be happy to have the documentation.

Notify the police in your area.   If she was evicted then the sheriff will be well acquainted with the issue and won’t have any issues doing a drop by and warn them to keep their distance. 

If that doesn’t need work make a formal complaint and a order of protection.  If you are at the property by yourself you may want to bring a friend along, nothing keeps people away then a few extra people. Also you may want to invest in a mobile security system until the property has a tenant in it.  

Originally posted by @Erica Martinez :

I recently purchased a home where the owner had to evict tenant. The tenant showed her true colors throughout this lengthy process. We finally closed and have started rennovations in the home. Oddly everytime I go do some cleaning or supervision of the work, I see the tenant circling the block. The last straw was yesterday when I saw her stop in front of the house in a vehicle with a Male companion, while pointing at the house. I am starting to feel very uncomfortable and am wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to handle this situation. Thank you!

I would contact the local PD. If you are lucky they will contact her and that should get her to back off. At the very least you'll have a police report on her so if the home is broken into or vandalized you'll have some leverage to push the police in her direction.

Aside from everything listed above, I would talk with the neighbors to keep an eye out and also (whether or not you buy a security camera) add one of those 'Smile - You're On Camera' signs to the front of the property.  

So this person(s) is in a vehicle on a public road? Unless they're actually coming onto the property I don't think there's a thing you can or should do. Just ignore them and get back to your business. Are they perhaps checking the mailbox? (if there's one there)

I'd agree with most of what has been stated here. The only thing I didn't see mentioned is that you should do your best to get the license plate number. It's certainly not an emergency call, but it doesn't hurt to go and and chat with the local PD about what's going on.

Originally posted by @Erica Martinez :

People are both curious and angry about what is happening at "their" house. If they are simply curious then "no harm, no foul". If they are just angry you can actually approach the car and ask if they left anything at the property and see what the response is. If you are reasonable and let them work through their emotions without saying anything to them beyond that, they will make it their last visit. Wait for them to answer and don't say anything. If they persist in visiting then you have several choices, 1. cower in fear (not recommended) 2. paint the front of the house so it is a "different House" 3. Ignore them (recommended) 4. file a police report (this doesn't solve anything) 5. invite them in to see the upgrades

They will get tired and move on with life.