Home improvement for rentals

7 Replies

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if there was a good audiobook for home improvement techniques that I can pick up. I bought my first rental property and will be closing in the next few weeks. I am not handy at all and I’d love any advice I can get. Including doing workshops and other stuff. Thanks!

@Andy Mejia              I do not fully understand your question.  If you're hoping to get educated with home repairs -youtube is a great tool for beginners.  i will say that in my experience, water /moisture issues cause majority of damages.  make sure to have gutters, and extensions on down spouts.  drains under sinks /vanities are known to leak at some point.  hope this helps.  Adam

@Andy Mejia as @Adam Drummond mentions, YouTube will be your best friend, but be sure to ask “Why something is done a certain way”, to those who have experience. There can be slight nuances in the work-to-be-done. Just go to your local DIY supply stores and take notice of how many different types of sealant or spackle mud there are. Each is made for a slightly different purpose (although there are usually “general” products you can use with similar results). This isn’t meant to scare or dissuade you, but to prepare you for asking questions about how to do things properly and then taking the time to practice. In your case it sounds like you will get “live” practice when fixing up your new property.

I was already somewhat handy, having worked some construction jobs growing up, and used my first rental as practice. It took me extra time to get it listed but the carrying costs were worth the education and experience.

My 2 cents. If you go beyond simple repairs and you are unskilled, Youtube is great for concepts but that is where it ends. You start touching plumbing, electrical, HVAC, structural integrity, it isn't like the DYI channel. It has to be done correctly and WITH PERMITS!

@Andy Mejia , congrats on the first deal!  Many more to come.

Youtube is great, as others have pointed out.  But knowledge without action is pointless.  I learned completely on the ropes by renovating my first three rentals.  In between renovations, I became my neighbor's and friend's handyman.  I would trade my time for nicer tools, people are willing to overpay you if it goes towards a tool you need for the project.  Fair trade.

Continue to experiment and learn.  Don't be afraid to call a handyman too if you're uncomfortable.  I'd say 90% of residential is doable for the DIY landlord.  Including electrical!

Originally posted by @Andy Mejia :

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if there was a good audiobook for home improvement techniques that I can pick up. I bought my first rental property and will be closing in the next few weeks. I am not handy at all and I’d love any advice I can get. Including doing workshops and other stuff. Thanks!

I'd check out Youtube videos by searching 'how to do X?". I would stick to simple easy stuff like changing deadbolts, cleaning off thermocouples, painting, hanging interior doors etc... Beyond that type of stuff you really are better off just hiring a pro.