General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jason Y.
Votes |
What is Fair Housing Guidelines?

Jason Y.
Posted Sep 15 2019, 19:42

We are using a property mgmt company in another state to manage our rental property. Previously, whenever an application comes in, the property manager would forward us the applicant's information. This includes their name, credit score and occupation, along with other information. We could deny or approve the application. This year, the property mgmt company filled the occupancy without even giving us a notice on who the applicant(s) were. I asked about why they did not ask for our approval and they said they cannot do that anymore due to something called "Fair Housing Guideline" because it puts homeowners and the property management company at risk. I researched this but couldn't find anything about this. I only found Fair Housing Act.

Do those of you who use property management companies send you the applications to review or is this new rule apply to protect homeowners and mgmt companies?  But let's say, in the future, there is a problem with this tenant.  Who is liable since the homeowners did not have any input on placing this tenant in the home?

Loading replies...