3 Units Shared Mailbox?

10 Replies

We are about to close on a SFH we plan to house hack in an HOA, the CCR's say as long as it is a roommate we can rent. This property has a separate 2br. apartment and a 1 br apartment in addition to the house we will be living in. The only hang-up we have is:

We can only have 1 mailbox, what are some creative ways to not have to be the "mail sorter" every day? 

I had a client who owned one side of a commercial duplex - and shared a mailbox with the other owner.  It was an "entertaining" adventure.  The other owner declared herself the mailbox owner in residence - and sorted the mail each day, even delivering it to the next door neighbor. The issues came whenever "something" was missing/not received...then it was a question of "did she take it?"  "Did she see it?"  Not good.  I recommend having the tenants arrange for a post office box off-site.  It's not expensive and most of us have gone paperless so the mail we do receive isn't really worth receiving anyways.  Hope this helps...

Originally posted by @Justin Juhan :

We are about to close on a SFH we plan to house hack in an HOA, the CCR's say as long as it is a roommate we can rent. This property has a separate 2br. apartment and a 1 br apartment in addition to the house we will be living in. The only hang-up we have is:

We can only have 1 mailbox, what are some creative ways to not have to be the "mail sorter" every day? 

Install two more mailboxes. Label them 123 main street unit 1, 2 & 3.

Originally posted by @Patricia Steiner :

I had a client who owned one side of a commercial duplex - and shared a mailbox with the other owner.  It was an "entertaining" adventure.  The other owner declared herself the mailbox owner in residence - and sorted the mail each day, even delivering it to the next door neighbor. The issues came whenever "something" was missing/not received...then it was a question of "did she take it?"  "Did she see it?"  Not good.  I recommend having the tenants arrange for a post office box off-site.  It's not expensive and most of us have gone paperless so the mail we do receive isn't really worth receiving anyways.  Hope this helps...

Great idea on the PO box 👍 had not even thought about that. Yes we wanted to avoid the issues that come with sorting mail. 

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Justin Juhan:

HOA will not allow multiple mail boxes for 1 property.

Originally posted by @James Wise:

If the HOA won't allow multiple mail boxes that leads me to believe you've got a bigger problem on your hands in that they probably don't allow you to operate this property as a multi family property.

If the HOA won't allow multiple mail boxes that leads me to believe you've got a bigger problem on your hands in that they probably don't allow you to operate this property as a multi family property.

Please re-read my original post.  We will be living at this property and the CCRs say we can rent if it is a "roommate" type situation, being as we live there, it will be. 

Please re-read my original post.  We will be living at this property and the CCRs say we can rent if it is a "roommate" type situation, being as we live there, it will be. 

If you're all roommates in one dwelling there is one mailbox, that simple. Put the mail on the kitchen counter for all to grab....Doesn't sound like you'll all have access to the same kitchen counter tho, cuz it doesn't sound like these are actually your roommates lol.

If you're all roommates in one dwelling there is one mailbox, that simple. Put the mail on the kitchen counter for all to grab....Doesn't sound like you'll all have access to the same kitchen counter tho, cuz it doesn't sound like these are actually your roommates lol.

Thanks for your creative ideas. 

Moral of the story; Trying to skirt the system is never the smart play.

Moral of the story; Trying to skirt the system is never the smart play.

Because the thousands of people who rented out their basements in the recession were "skirting the system"