Converting Your Tenants to Section 8

10 Replies

For those of you that own in Section 8 type communities- has anyone been successful in converting tenants to this subsidy program? Theoretically, with the right incentives, your long term tenants would jump at the chance to have the same place at a fraction of the cost, yes? Are their any provisions in the Section 8 program that state a tenant cannot choose to use his Section 8 voucher at his current residence, or at a property owned by his curent landlord? Just wanted to see if anyone else had done this.

Are we talking the current tenants would get a voucher?

That's the idea, yeah.

Here they aren't accepting new people and when they do every 3 years or so there will be a line of people waiting overnight, first come first serve.

I prefer to stay under 10% of residents on section 8, there isn't one I've had that doesn't turn into a problem at the end. Also, due to the state of the government / funding I don't want to many eggs in a basket.

Really elementary question as a dude not all that familiar with trying to get a tenant qualified for Sec 8:

When you say "here they aren't accepting new people", do you mean in your city, county or state?

@Jake Kucheck

I've converted 2 properties to section 8 status. One based on a section 8 tenant wanting a house I had which just required an additional level of property inspections to get qualified. The other was an existing tenant that finally received section 8 status, had been on the waiting list for a year, then had to get the house qualified.

Neither process was too traumatic. Both qualified for 100% of rent plus utilities to be covered.

Originally posted by Jake Kucheck:
Really elementary question as a dude not all that familiar with trying to get a tenant qualified for Sec 8:

When you say "here they aren't accepting new people", do you mean in your city, county or state?

Yes its a regional thing, your area may differ but its as simple as calling your local housing coordinator. Btw - no dumb questions, we are all here to expand our vision.

Sec 8 or not they still have to be accepted based on our criteria which is another main reason not many qualify.

Lately the ones that are moving around here are bouncing around like bees. A year later the unit is dirty and they move to a clean one. The inspections are no concern, atleast we haven't had a problem with them.

@Jake Kucheck In most of California, certainly in my area (northern CA) and in your area too, you can't really just "convert" a tenant to Section 8. First, the tenant has to be the one to apply for a voucher. The landlord can't do it for them. Second, the application/acceptance process is extremely long. Often it takes years to be accepted and get on the program. But probably most importantly, in most areas (yours included), a person can't even currently apply to get on the program because the enrollement period is only opened at certain times, and currently it is not open.

Thanks all.

Sounds like a better way to go would be trying to seek out existing voucher holders that are looking for a new place to live, instead of creating section 8 tenants from your current tenant stock.

BTW- this is for rentals in Genesee County, MI. Interesting that so many of the respondents were also from MI.

The best place to advertise vacancies to existing voucher holders in the Genesee County area is www.michiganhousinglocator.com.

Here in Kansas City the waiting list to get a Section 8 voucher / Public Housing unit is 3 years, it’s definitely not an overnight process, while they do grant emergency vouchers under certain provisions, ex: displacements, death, etc, another good place to market properties to find Section 8 tenants is www.socialserve.com , I usually take flyers downtown to the Housing Authority (Section 8 office) and that actually has been most effective.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here