Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Sowinski
  • Investor
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Terminating Month to Month Lease...any tips?

Jonathan Sowinski
  • Investor
  • Buffalo, NY
Posted Aug 30 2012, 18:56

I am terminating one of our tenants lease at the end of September and just wanted to see if there were any suggestions/tips members might have…both to make sure the process is correctly followed and also to keep any hostility/animosity from the tenant to a minimum.

If you are interested here is the background…Tenants A and B signed month to month lease April, 2012, they turn out to not be greatest tenants e.g. paid late 4/5 months (did pay though and $120 extra in late fees so not the worst), smoke in the apt. (lease states no smoking), tenant B moved out and tenant A seems to have replaced her w/ a tenant C (this was a bit sketchy we told them they needed to sign new lease blah blah blah they claim there was no change of tenancy blah blah drama drama blah blah) tenant C seems to have a dog that she brings with her for her “visits” and a few other instances of BS lying and whatnot…anyway, I just mailed a letter of termination of lease (uploaded to FilePlace @http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/Jonathan_S/file/termination-notice ) with delivery confirmation through USPS and will be hand delivering one tomorrow as well.

I didn’t find to much on the topic in my searches so thought I would see what people thoughts/experiences are. Basically, my biggest concern is that they are not going to pay September’s rent once they get the notice…I wouldn’t bother with additional cost of eviction for nonpayment, if they don’t move out on time that’s another story…

Loading replies...