To catch a pot smoker

To catch a pot smoker

Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Hi all,

Okay - here's the situation: shared entrance hallway between two units, and one of the occupants is using the hallway to smoke pot.  I know this because I have been in the hallway a few times in recent weeks and there is a very strong and fresh odor. Lease forbids this, naturally.

I am pretty sure I know which tenant, but I would like to try and get irrefutable evidence.  I sent a general letter to all residents and, not surprisingly, no change.  They have disabled the smoke detector in the hallway as well.

I know if I come in with an accusation, they will immediately blame it on the other unit.

Looking for suggestions...

1Reply
79 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y

Leave a trailof  some potato chips , chetos , and other munchies . The pot smoker will follow the trail , use a net to catch them 

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Wesley W.  If you this is common area then perhaps you can justify camera system to figure out and deter this behavior.  Taking down the smoke detectors is a big deal and should be dealt with in my opinion

    Best of luck to you! 

  • CA & NV · Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 378 votes
    6y

    Lease forbids what, smoking pot?  Marijuana has been decriminalized in NY. What are you trying to accomplish?

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Willis:

    Lease forbids what, smoking pot?  Marijuana has been decriminalized in NY. What are you trying to accomplish?

    Regardless of that law it is indoors and I am assuming It says no smoking if any kind indoors.  My guess his he doesn’t want his property to smell like crap and give a pleasant experience for all his tenants.  

    Install some cameras, send a notice to all saying tampering with smoke detectors isn’t allowed.  Catch the person and then boot them, my answer is if they break the simple rules than your place will be trashed when they move out and it’s easier to rip the bandaid off now before it gets to that. 

  • CA & NV · Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 378 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed

    If the lease forbids smoking in the apartment or the common area, that is a different story, but he explicitly said "and one of the occupants is using the hallway to smoke pot" and the title is "to catch a pot smoker," which implies it is the pot, not the smoking.

    If this is a common area and the lease forbids smoking in a common area, then install a camera and terminate accordingly.

    BTW I hate smoking of any kind and can't stand the smell.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Leave a trailof  some potato chips , chetos , and other munchies . The pot smoker will follow the trail , use a net to catch them 

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Install some cameras, send a notice to all saying tampering with smoke detectors isn’t allowed.  Catch the person and then boot them, my answer is if they break the simple rules than your place will be trashed when they move out and it’s easier to rip the bandaid off now before it gets to that. 

     Installing a security camera is problematic as I do not have any wi-fi of my own in the building.  I thought of installing a hidden camera, but the area is pretty small and stark, so really not too many good places to disguise or hide it.

    I have ordered a cage for a new detector, but if they are willing to disable a detector to break the rules, they probably wouldn't be thwarted much by a cage.  I could send letters about the damage to the detector, but without proof I don't think that would be accomplishing much.  I'm pretty sure whomever did it knew that was not acceptable behavior.  

    I have moderately tight circumstantial evidence it is the daughter of one of the tenants - "back from college" since the summer - and her guests.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Willis:

    Lease forbids what, smoking pot?  Marijuana has been decriminalized in NY. What are you trying to accomplish?

    We caught him, it's Jeff!!! :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Wesley W.

    Camera sounds like your best option for knowing for sure.

    If you were very confident in your assumption, which is just as costly if not more is to to not renew the tenant you suspect of the violation and find out if you are right. If you get them out of the hallway, by installing a camera they will just smoke in their unit, so I think this option might be the best. (Since they have already shown a willingness to disregard the rules)

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Todd Rasmussen  Sadly, NY just changed its laws so I will need to provide a 90-day notice of termination despite having a month-to-month lease in this case.  I'm just trying to decide if 3 months of retaliatory BS is worth it.  This was an inherited tenant that has been a moderate PITA since building acquisition.  The property is sufficiently stabilized now that I could cut her loose.  Minimally, I would wait until spring at any rate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    I’d do nothing . If the guy wants to smoke a joint after a day of work what’s the big deal . I mean geez if he’s paying rent and not a drug dealer is it really causing much damage

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I vote for the bag of Cheetos and a net 😂

  • Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 339 posts · 325 votes
    6y

    @Wesley W. Are they at least smoking decent weed?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Wesley W.

    You don't need a real camera. Just a fake one with a battery powered light. You can get four for twenty bucks on Amazon. The minute they break one you stick up another one. Wi-fi, connections, wires...most people have no clue how these things actually work.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fleming Island, FL · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 104 votes
    6y

    @Wesley W. Does it smell like good weed?

  • Chicago · Member since 2018 · 214 posts · 165 votes
    6y

    Couple of ideas: 
    1. You can get a battery operated motion camera that saves to a card and you pull the card and watch the thing later. Cheap alternative to the full blown real time system. 

    2. If you know who it is or think you do, sit down with them or first send them a lease violation notice letter and then talk to them. Tell them they need to smoke OUTSIDE the building or you will be taking action against them and if there's an eviction on their record it will hamper their ability to rent in the future. A warning essentially. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 936 votes
    6y

    You might be able to do this in a roundabout way: can you test the units to see if there is a marijuana smoker in there?  If so, and if there is only one unit testing positive, that is likely your common area smoking unit.

    Check this out: https://www.amazon.com/THC-Surface-Residue-Detection-Test/dp/B00BPX4XW2

    I've never used it and don't know anything about it.  There may be other products out there.  I just had an idea that might help you and did a quick search.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I recommend sending a Notice of Inspection to both tenants with the minimum legal notice given. Then go and "smell"/look at each unit.  Document the inspection with photos and I recommend using an Inspection Checklist as well. If the tenant is present, discuss the issue with he/she and let them know that any violation of the lease - including disabling a smoke detector or any other property will not be tolerated and will result in eviction. I would also advise that there will be ongoing, routine inspections of the common areas to ensure compliance.  

    Showing up and doing inspections of their personal space pretty much reminds them that it's "your ball, your court." 

    Pats on the back to you for knowing what's going on at your property.  

  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    6y
    He thinks its more than likely a college aged girl that's home for the summer. If she's smoking in the hallway its more than likely because her parent/s don't allow her to smoke in the house. I wouldn't waste the money on inspections. Just go directly to the tenant and let them know cameras are being installed. If they are tampered with they can expect a lease termination.
  • Rental Property Investor · n/a · Member since 2019 · 143 posts · 117 votes
    6y

    Would it be possible to go right to the parents and just have a normal conversation with them about it?  Mention that other tenants have complained about the odor and just restate it is against what is spelled out in the lease.  Seems like a lot of trouble to install security cameras for this, especially since it sounds like it isn't a criminal offense.  Depending on the parents, they may be grateful you address it with them instead of trying to catch their daughter and follow through with any kind of repercussions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Belgium, WI · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    Sometimes you just gotta pull everyone aside and say "hey, I'm not messing around. Smoke outside or I'm done". A conversation is a cheap first try vs 90 days of hell

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Wesley W.:

    Hi all,

    Okay - here's the situation: shared entrance hallway between two units, and one of the occupants is using the hallway to smoke pot.  I know this because I have been in the hallway a few times in recent weeks and there is a very strong and fresh odor. Lease forbids this, naturally.

    I am pretty sure I know which tenant, but I would like to try and get irrefutable evidence.  I sent a general letter to all residents and, not surprisingly, no change.  They have disabled the smoke detector in the hallway as well.

    I know if I come in with an accusation, they will immediately blame it on the other unit.

    Looking for suggestions...

     lol, why are you so vested in catching the pot smoker? Myself I like catching rent checks.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    6y

    Usually the building tenants handles it themselves. Someone who doesn't like the smell will go in the hallway and tell the smoker, loiterer, etc..to "take it outside" and they do. 

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    This is a complete waste of time, energy, and resources. Apparently you’re not busy enough.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    Leave a trailof  some potato chips , chetos , and other munchies . The pot smoker will follow the trail , use a net to catch them 

     I'm still laughing so hardddd from THIS 👆👆👆

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Wesley W. This is unacceptable! If I were you I would not rest one second until the situation is resolved. Nobody should be smoking nasty swag in your building, and grossing out all the other tenants with their poor taste in weed. Have you tried introducing her to Super Lemon Haze yet? If not, I’d start there. Don’t wait, bring some over immediately. Super Lemon Haze is simply dripping with deliciously aromatic terpenes that emit an irresistible fragrance which is certain to provide a nice relaxing atmosphere to your building, quickly dissolving any tensions between tenants. If you include Super Lemon Haze with your units, you will exclusively attract and retain only top-shelf renters like doctors and lawyers. Seriously though, what is up with all these posts lately about evicting people over some weed? There was one recently where the OP kept saying “but it’s a lease violation!” Sure, it certainly is but I guarantee you every tenant violates the lease at some point. My lease is basically worded that way so I have ammo if I need it. Do I evict for every lease violation? Nope, because I prefer having tenants. Evictions and turnovers are expensive and to be avoided at all costs people, especially this time of year. If your tenants are paying rent on time, don’t rock the boat. Pick your battles and save your nuclear option for when it’s actually necessary! Buying cameras, hiding in the shadows in a ninja suit, playing keystone cop, threatening eviction... sounds time consuming, frustrating, and expensive and also a good way to create animosity with tenants. What are you going to do; stalk, spy on and evict every tenant that smokes weed? What a futile exercise. Who will rent your units? I smell weed basically every time I go into one of my buildings. If none of the residents care, then neither do I. If another tenant such as one with young kids or a health condition or something complains, then of course I would address the issue but that literally never happens as they tend to work it out themselves which is exactly what I want. I don’t think of my tenants as roommates or children, and stay out of their personal business and all tenant drama as much as possible. However I do have zero tolerance for growing, excessive smoking of anything inside to the point of bothering the neighbors, and of course tobacco use inside is grounds for swift and relentless punishment because nicotine smoke causes actual damage to the property. But I can’t be bothered by a little weed personally. I’ve smelled it in my section 8 units and also my class A units. If I threatened to evict every time I smelled it, I’d have a lot less tenants and a lot less money. As long as they don’t get so stoned they forget to Venmo the rent on the 1st, and nobody else in the building is upset about it, I don’t see any reason to get involved. If it bothers you, it can probably be resolved with a nice conversation but I wouldn’t get carried away investing in cameras or threatening to evict, that just seems more than a little excessive. Taking on the cost of cameras or an eviction or even just a turnover (especially because it’s hard to find a good tenant this time of year) would be extreme overkill for something you’re likely to encounter a lot when owning multifamily buildings in a state where weed is decriminalized and used by many. I’d stay completely out of it unless you have other tenants complaining or it’s actually effecting your business somehow. I spent this week patching holes punched in doors and cleaning up blood splatters on top of crayon drawings on the walls (heavy-duty domestic violence damage in a unit with young kids), so I’d be psyched if my only issue was some weed smell at this point, just to put your problem in perspective. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.