Restarted with common sense

4 Replies

Basically I really messed up as a teenager, I got credit cards never paid them. Lost my car. Lost jobs. Couldn’t find one thing to do in my life. But anyways I really did a 180 on all that and pushed through it all. Although my credit is severely damaged. I’m making excellent progress. So I want to get an apartment short term. 6 months, and I know here in Houston if you want to live well credit matters. Just as every where else. I wanted to offer 3 months up front. I make 87k annually now. Do you think I’d get an approval? I lacked discipline when I was younger. Safe to say I found myself.

Antonio, contact landlords in your area and ask for their specific tenant screening criteria. If you are worried about your credit score and they say something vague like "we look at factors including your credit score, monthly income, etc..." ask them what the credit score cut off is. If they don't have one (they often won't) ask how they evaluate credit generally. Maybe they look to see that the last 2 years all your payments have been on time. Maybe they ignore medical debt. 

The point is to ask and then check your own data against their criteria. If you are failing all the various landlords' overall screening criteria, follow up with them and explain your situation to a person. Be advised, they likely won't be able to tell you one way or another whether they'd approve you or not until they actually take your application and application fee, review it and run a background check to verify everything you are saying. But the point is to narrow down your pool of prospective landlords and waste fewer application fees where you don't stand a chance based on your credit.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Antonio Figueroa :

Basically I really messed up as a teenager, I got credit cards never paid them. Lost my car. Lost jobs. Couldn’t find one thing to do in my life. But anyways I really did a 180 on all that and pushed through it all. Although my credit is severely damaged. I’m making excellent progress. So I want to get an apartment short term. 6 months, and I know here in Houston if you want to live well credit matters. Just as every where else. I wanted to offer 3 months up front. I make 87k annually now. Do you think I’d get an approval? I lacked discipline when I was younger. Safe to say I found myself.

Fat Property has a ton of stuff inside the loop (midtown, montrose, 3rd ward, etc.)  I know the ops manager very well. They don't deny on credit. But you might need to pay a higher deposit.  Their website and info shouldn't be hard to find. 

Originally posted by @Cody L. :
Originally posted by @Antonio Figueroa:

Fat Property has a ton of stuff inside the loop (midtown, montrose, 3rd ward, etc.)  I know the ops manager very well. They don't deny on credit. But you might need to pay a higher deposit.  Their website and info shouldn't be hard to find. 

Really appreciate it. I was actually more interested in living in those areas because of work. I’m more than comfortable with putting forth a higher deposit. But I wasn’t sure if that was legal or something. I was told there is a law on that. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here