Renting to a tenant with prior offences

7 Replies

This is my first property in the Houston area. Does anyone have experience renting to tenants with prior offenses? It was a felony in 2011 aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Any advice would be helpful..... 

@Mark Coleman I don’t know your neighborhood off hand. I’d have a hard time with a violent offense, 8 years though, people can change. I’d want to verify that as best as possible if this is your best candidate. If it’s a decent area I’d pass and wait for a better option... set screening parameters to avoid over thinking these kinds of concerns, if you choose no felonies, then draw a hard line. Best luck!

I always like to give a potential tenant a chance to give me their side of the story and any details they want me to consider.  I also am more lenient if they advise me of the charge on the front end rather than me discover it during the back groudn check.  Other questions:  What was the outcome of the charge?  Was he convicted?  Was he locked up for 8 years and only been out of prison a year?  Does he have an explanation?  Unless he can explain extenuating circumstances that offset your valid concern, I would likely pass.  Alternatively, if the case was dismissed and he has been out of trouble, working and productive since then, may consider him.  

Originally posted by @Mark Coleman :

This is my first property in the Houston area. Does anyone have experience renting to tenants with prior offenses? It was a felony in 2011 aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Any advice would be helpful..... 

I'm more lenient on homes then apts.  What I'd normally do is raise the deposit amount, maybe even rent a bit, then put the ball in their court.  Do they still want to do it?  If so, the extra deposit (as security) and rent (for risk) make up for it.

You're not screening this guy to be a roomate in your personal home so really what's the concern?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here