They're drawing on my Cabinets!!!

64 Replies

@John Matthew Johnston

Unfortunately I don’t have any advice but I came here for the comments and learned quite a bit!

Goodluck with these guys! Hope they turn the place over in tip top shape for ya

@John Matthew Johnston

Same exact thing happened to me! I just did a great rehab 5 months ago. I walk through the house last month twith my appraiser for the cash out refi. I notice marker lines all over the hallways, living room and bedroom walls. My nice new stainless steel appliances looked nasty too. Hopefully these people will stay for a decade or two. If not, it's coming out of their deposit so I'm not worried. Most of my tenants seem to be lifers in my properties. So they can do what they want in them as long is the damage is less than the deposits.

Originally posted by @John Matthew Johnston :

My first rental is a B class SFR, Rent 1500/month. I put all new finishes and it LOOKED really nice. I went to do my first rental inspection after 5-6 months( while doing a walk through with an appraisal company to BRRR it) and the place is disgusting. They kids have drawn on the new white soft close cabinets with green marker and I counted at lease 8 other places they have been drawling on the walls. the floors have food and crumbs all over the place. empty mountain dew bottles and wrappers are all over the house. Dont get me started on the new stainless steel appliances that are covered in a layer of gooo!! The front porch is just covered in all kinds of **** like cloths and garbage. How do I document a written warning. An official letter of some sort. I want to warn them and give them a chance to rectify but im not sure they can make the change.

Suggestions.

Make more clearer in lease. Charge lease violation fee.

And then if continues you may need use chalkboard paint either on section dedicated and authorized by you as place write on. Just had tenants write with permanent marker on my white frig. They paid for it to be painted outta their security deposit. With lease violation fee $65. 

Originally posted by @Kenny Dahill :

@Joe Splitrock , we'll have to agree to disagree about kids drawing on walls.  And I am not saying every kid does, it's not a  rite of passage or a requirement to enter kindergarten.  My point is: kids do kid things.  Which includes drawing on walls because they do not know better.  Not all kids, but it does happen.

I do not think it is fair to simply assume it is negligent parenting because kids draw on the wall.  Things happen!  Maybe it happened with a baby sitter!  Maybe the parents were doing parent-things: laundry, cooking, etc. and didn't see the 2 mins in which it happened.  Maybe your child didn't because they had great parenting, but I find it hard to believe there has never been a great parent who had a kid draw on the wall.  By your theory, practically every parent I see in a restaurant is negligent parent because I see their toddler half drawing on the paper and half on the table. 

You only caught one of your homes that had children with drawing on the walls.  Is there a chance the parents either washed the walls or painted over prior to move-out?

If a child drawing on the wall is the worst thing they do, sign me up.  Paint is cheap and does no structural harm to a house.

Im noticing more adults and teens drawing on things  

I think due to entitlement era and over poisoning via vaccines makes them turn mental and crave colorful stimuli via tactile methods. 

@Kyler Cook we also sweep the floor and carpet after they make a mess with food, am I missing something!

This generation missed their spanking, and today it shows.

I wrote a long post. Let me say it simple in this post. Unless the tenants are apologetic and are taking steps to accept responsibility for the damage, get rid of them as fast as you can. I promise you there are plenty of people out there willing to respect property.

It is your choice if you want to have these sorts in your property or not. Everyone talks about how we are not allowed to discriminate - not true. We are restricted from certain types of discrimination however, discrimination is what we do, as we should be doing, and as we do in this business and every other aspect of our lives.

Only one word to think over for you now...

Next.

@John Matthew Johnston

I had the same issue. Too much to write on here but you have to look at this as a learning experience. I learned so much about people and how to deal with them. That situation made me a better business man/ investor. You are growing stronger because of this situation. I also learned how to clean better cause of this situation. Lol cleaning is a science also. Btw they sell degreaser products, tile grout cleaners and brittle pads. Home Depot got you covered in there cleaning section.

@John Matthew Johnston

Maybe that was clean for them 😀

IMO, I would repair the damage on the cabinets and walls and charge them for it. Then Deduct from rent if they don’t pay. It could help them be more conscious of what is going on or will lead to them leaving or a eviction. All those options are probably better than them staying for years and requiring a full rehab when they leave or get evicted.

The messiness than can be simply cleaned up is one thing but actual damaging product then they need to pay for repairs now. If they did stay for years there is no way the deposit would cover the amount of damage they could do over time.

The process of getting a applicant is one of, if not the most important part of the process. Whatever you can do to minimize renting to a dud.

My first rental is a B class SFR, Rent 1500/month. I put all new finishes and it LOOKED really nice. I went to do my first rental inspection after 5-6 months( while doing a walk through with an appraisal company to BRRR it) and the place is disgusting. They kids have drawn on the new white soft close cabinets with green marker and I counted at lease 8 other places they have been drawling on the walls. the floors have food and crumbs all over the place. empty mountain dew bottles and wrappers are all over the house. Dont get me started on the new stainless steel appliances that are covered in a layer of gooo!! The front porch is just covered in all kinds of **** like cloths and garbage. How do I document a written warning. An official letter of some sort. I want to warn them and give them a chance to rectify but im not sure they can make the change.

Yea......They do that sometimes. Welcome to being a landlord. This is your life now lol.

I love how lively this discussion is! This is definitely a good lesson in learning to adjust expectations as a new investor. You've already gotten a lot of great feedback and I love the personal insights, such as from @Kai Van Leuven , that will surely help you sleep better at night. Kids or no kids, a renter will never take as good of care of your property as you will your own but we can hope they'll do their best at move out to restore it to a more sterile state. Wish you the best! I hope you'll update this thread once they do move out ;) 

I have a bad habit of writing too much.

(post deleted)

The security deposit is not going to cover the damages, the damages will increase in cost as time goes on, and so therefore the best financial decision is to cut ties with destructive tenants as fast as possible. Lost rent to vacancy often costs less than physical depreciation in terms of actual cost to repair and property value.

The people who let it all go and continue to collect rent do so as an effort to pay for their sanity, not because it makes the most financial sense in terms of owning property - let's get that clear.

And as far as sanity goes, I do better when I know my tenants are not trashing the place.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here