General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Ryan L.
Votes |
She broke another window!

Ryan L.
Posted Jan 20 2020, 17:06

This is becoming a problem.... My wife and I self manage our 5 rentals and we have been on this journey for approx 3 years. Everything has been going great up to this point but one of our tenants has been in the house for about a year now and has a two year lease.  Over the last year we have had several issues with the tenant.  First, she consistently would pay her rent late......Not a big deal we collected $50 late fee and she would always pay about a week later.  Then she stopped paying the water bill in full. In our county the water bill has to be in our name as the owner.  Then tenant would pay but never in full and it would accumulate up to about $400-$600 then she would gradually pay it down.  Next after making some visits to the property we learned that she has been allowing her 2 adult kids stay at the house even though they were not on the lease.  Next we find out that she has 2 kittens in the house even though the lease specifies no pets.  Now tonight I get a call saying that a large window in the house has a crack in it.  This is the second window replacement I have had to do in the last year. The last window they said wouldn't close and they cracked it trying to force it closed.  I replaced this out of my pocket.  The second window to crack is a picture window.  It doesn't open or close so I know it has to be cracked because something hit it.  It seems like we are getting a lot of extra wear and tear on the house...... How do I address these issues.  Should I tell her that windows don't break unless something hits them and it is her responsibility to hire a licensed professional to fix the window?  I can do it myself but my time availability is limited right now and I prefer not to.  What are your thoughts how you would handle the overall situation?  The property cash flows really well for us but it is frustrating that our tenant is causing increased wear and tear on the property and breaking all the rules we initially set in the lease.....   

Loading replies...