Not renewing a lease - do you owe tenant an honest explanation?

3 Replies

One year lease about to be up and I am not renewing. Tenant has been a real pain to deal with. Too many lies and excuses, you know what I mean.

Now do you tell the tenant why you won't be renewing?  Or do you make something up like you are considering moving in yourself, or you need to do some major renovations, or you might make it a short term rental, etc etc etc...it's not the confrontation I worry about but I don't want to risk property damages out of spite.

Originally posted by @Sam Leon :

One year lease about to be up and I am not renewing. Tenant has been a real pain to deal with. Too many lies and excuses, you know what I mean.

Now do you tell the tenant why you won't be renewing?  Or do you make something up like you are considering moving in yourself, or you need to do some major renovations, or you might make it a short term rental, etc etc etc...it's not the confrontation I worry about but I don't want to risk property damages out of spite.

You give proper notice and say "This is to notify you that I won't be renewing the lease. Thank you for being my tenant and I wish you well." Or something to that effect.

You don't have to state why (and it isn't wise to) unless local laws require such. No matter what reason you list, the tenant will resent it and it's conceivable they will damage the property and be uncooperative.

Raise the rent a significant amount. Then they won't want to sign a new lease, or they'll be paying you for the headache they're causing. Just another thought. 

I completely agree with Account Closed "We won't be able to renew your lease after xx/31/xx." with a reminder that they are still responsible for last month's rent and if they leave the apartment clean and damage free they will receive their full security deposit back after move-out.

No reason to go into details.