Particleboard vs Plywood Kitchen Cabinets in Rental Unit

Particleboard vs Plywood Kitchen Cabinets in Rental Unit

Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes

I am completely redoing one of my rental units and I have a dilemma with the kitchen cabinets.

I am trying to stay within a budget so I am shopping around for suited cabinetry. My options are as follows:

1. Prefabricated kitchen cabinets from a local warehouse that will run me 1300.00, but will have the downside of particleboard frames.

2. Prefabricated kitchen cabinets from a local dealers that will run about 2,000.00, with plywood framing.

I have had a few family members that went with the local warehouse (ie home depot) particleboard based kitchen cabinets, and I have not heard them come across any problems.

I know some may argue the difference is'nt that much between price, but for about 700.00 I could purchase the granite, floor tiles and have everything installed.

I want some feedback on what everbodies thoughts are. I am open to hearing suggestions.

Thanks on advance!

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
13y

I use the unstained cabinets from Lowes/Home Depot and stain them myself. I like them because they are cheap, but sturdy and a replacement is easy to find.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    13y

    I would and have gone with the particle board prefab cabinets with the oak fronts from menards. I actually go with the unfinished cabinets and then stain and poly them myself for the biggest savings. Especially for a rental I have no problem with particld board. Plus for the cost it is much better to go with the cheaper option and later replace with the higher priced option down the road if you must but again I doubt you will find the need to.

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 283 posts · 81 votes
    13y

    I think there are several factors to consider.

    What type of rental is it? Sounds like a higher end rental so you may want to install nicer cabinets.

    How hard is it to get a new section if one becomes damaged? Can you go to the warehouse and pickup a new door if you need one?

    The one problem with particle board is water. If something gets spilled inside a cablinet, the cabinet can warp and become brittle.

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    13y

    I use the unstained cabinets from Lowes/Home Depot and stain them myself. I like them because they are cheap, but sturdy and a replacement is easy to find.

  • SFR Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 484 posts · 181 votes
    13y

    I used the stock white cabinets from the depot in my last rehab. They turned out great & the tenants love them. If you have a water leak, its going to destroy any cabinet, at least with stock cabinets, replacing them is quick and cheap.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

    I think I am going to stick with the prefab particleboard cabinets from the local warehouse.

    The unit is higher end, and the cabinets I am contimplating are aesthetically pleasing, easy to come by, and minus the particleboard frames they are sturdy.

    If anybody knows any wholesale locations besides loses/home depot Please do let me know.

    Thanks

  • Winston, GA · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    We have used the prefab cabinets from Home Depot on a couple of properties where all cabinets had to be replaced. We are very satisfied with them. Save the money.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    13y

    Look harder. I've seen enough crumbling cabinets to avoid particle if I possibly can. There's a line of inexpensive chinese all wood cabs in non-chain stores that are as cheap as the crap at Lowes. When I compare cabinets I always just ask the price of a 30" sink base. There's no variables like drawer glides to mess up comparing across vendors. I recall (it's been since last year the last I bought) that a sinkbase was ~$150, but the receipt eludes me. I have a catalog folder in front of me, but it's so under the radar there's no brand name, just a symbol of a orange winged globe.

    The kitchen cabs below cost ~$1350

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    13y

    Nice cabinets Johann!

    Of course, my preference is to find plywood cabinets within a reasonable price, but given I'm not a general contractor, and don't have any discount memberships, it's been difficult.

    I'm searching, as I have some time before we get to cabinetry, so if anyone knows of any where I can get them at a decent price, please do share. Otherwise, I will go with particleboard.

    Thanks!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    I don't like the particle board crap. It's cheap and doesn't hold up.

    The older apartment buildings it can be a good thing sometime when they do not replace the cabinets. On one recently all the units have solid oak from the 70's for kitchen cabinets,. Those things are almost indestructable. That's when they cared about quality regardless of the price.

    If you are going to hold this rental for a limited time ( a few years ) then put in cheap crap and let the other buyer in the future deal with it. If you are going to hold for awhile I would put quality that lasts especially if your units aren't in a war zone.

    If war zone things will get thrashed anyways but I don't invest in such places.

  • Real Estate Agent · Ivy, VA · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    I'm resurrecting this thread...

    I am working on a full reno of a large 2 unit home that will only be rented to students. Since I live 1.5 hrs away, my most important goal is to put fixtures and finishes in place that will look nice over time and require the least amount of maintenance. I'm torn between a plywood RTA cabinet and the Diamond NOW line of stock cabinets at Lowes. 

    I've seen stock cabinets degrade and look like hell, BUT, given this is a student rental, would the plywood cabinets do the same? I know they will be stronger, however the finish may not be. Also, white looks clean and crisp, but would a darker cabinet hide abuse?

    You just never know what a student with no world experience, and parents paying the rent, will do. Now, these 2 units will be the nicest you can find in the small town, so I expect to have more responsible tenants....in theory. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    8y

    I wouldn't do white. A schmuck mark on wood is just character, on white thermofoil it'll jump out at you. The only white cabinets I own are semi custom in my own master bathroom, and the carcass paint has yellowed dramatically compared to the thermofoil doors, looks pretty awful.

    I'm a fan of cliched finishes in my century old buildings. Oak cabinets and dark granite in the kitchens, white Subway tiles with black trim and pinwheel floors in the bathroom. Comfort food for the eyes.

  • Real Estate Agent · Ivy, VA · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Johann Jells Good points. Thanks for the advice. 

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    8y

    I really dislike particle board especially the sink base cabinet.

    One leak and they swell up, crumble and it's irreversible.

    Tenants always put too much stuff into their sink cabinet.  200 bottles of hand detergent, DW detergent, cleaners, bleach, comet, rolls of kitchen napkins, candles, extra kettles, and 500 supermaket plastic bags filling every air void existing in there meaning any minor leak will not be noticed by them until it's pooling on the floor.

  • Real Estate Agent · Ivy, VA · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Sounds like I'll be going with a plywood RTA cabinet. I'm leaning towards a stain finish since it will probably be easier to both hide some dirt and nicks/gouges. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.