Flooring Question For Rental

Flooring Question For Rental

Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 33 votes

I spoke with a home depot rep today about replacing floors in a rental that I am about to rehab. I was quoted $2.50 sq/ft for their lower end trafficmaster material and install. He recommended me go this route but told me that this type was not water resistant and that kind of pushed me away. I was also recommended the pergo laminate that is supposed to be much more durable around water and more scratch resistant. I felt like this may last a lot longer but would cost $4 Sq/ft material and install. Lastly, I looked at the LVP which I see a lot of people on here praise. I can get LVP material / install for $5 sq/ft. The home depot rep told me that although the LVP would withstand water really well and be very durable, it would probably feel cool to step on whereas the laminate would feel much closer to room temperature and that this was something I needed to take into consideration. I have not seen this part mentioned on here before.

I'd love to hear any feedback about any of this material and whether you feel this is a fair price based on what you are getting.


Thanks,

David

0Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @David New:

I spoke with a home depot rep today about replacing floors in a rental that I am about to rehab. I was quoted $2.50 sq/ft for their lower end trafficmaster material and install. He recommended me go this route but told me that this type was not water resistant and that kind of pushed me away. I was also recommended the pergo laminate that is supposed to be much more durable around water and more scratch resistant. I felt like this may last a lot longer but would cost $4 Sq/ft material and install. Lastly, I looked at the LVP which I see a lot of people on here praise. I can get LVP material / install for $5 sq/ft. The home depot rep told me that although the LVP would withstand water really well and be very durable, it would probably feel cool to step on whereas the laminate would feel much closer to room temperature and that this was something I needed to take into consideration. I have not seen this part mentioned on here before.

I'd love to hear any feedback about any of this material and whether you feel this is a fair price based on what you are getting.


Thanks,

David

Hi David, we install Lifeproof flooring across our portfolio rental in CT. Specifically Lifeproof Shadow Hickory. My contractors love the easiness of the install and I appreciate the quality of the product at the price point it's at. We used to use a Shaw commercial product (another LVP - can't remember the specifics) but it was 2x the cost and I'm not sure it was 2x better than the off the shelf stuff at Home Depot. 

I'm not too concerned about the temperatures of the flooring. I can't imagine hardwood floors would be any warmer, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...just ask my girlfriend!

Lastly, pro tip: if you get enough flooring, you can go to the pro desk (or the guy/gal in flooring) at Home Depot and try to negotiate a discount - especially if you're buying enough that they have to place an order. We're usually able to negotiate 5-15% off the retail price they quote us. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 352 posts · 194 votes
    6y

    Hey @David New I try to refinish existing wood flooring wherever possible in my units. Where I have to replace flooring I replace it with a durable vinyl flooring like Lifeproof. It lasts a long time and is waterproof

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Benjamin Seibert

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 352 posts · 194 votes
    6y

    @David New no problem! The vinyl definitely helps keep it tenant proof and should last for multiple tenants!

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David New:

    I spoke with a home depot rep today about replacing floors in a rental that I am about to rehab. I was quoted $2.50 sq/ft for their lower end trafficmaster material and install. He recommended me go this route but told me that this type was not water resistant and that kind of pushed me away. I was also recommended the pergo laminate that is supposed to be much more durable around water and more scratch resistant. I felt like this may last a lot longer but would cost $4 Sq/ft material and install. Lastly, I looked at the LVP which I see a lot of people on here praise. I can get LVP material / install for $5 sq/ft. The home depot rep told me that although the LVP would withstand water really well and be very durable, it would probably feel cool to step on whereas the laminate would feel much closer to room temperature and that this was something I needed to take into consideration. I have not seen this part mentioned on here before.

    I'd love to hear any feedback about any of this material and whether you feel this is a fair price based on what you are getting.


    Thanks,

    David

    Hi David, we install Lifeproof flooring across our portfolio rental in CT. Specifically Lifeproof Shadow Hickory. My contractors love the easiness of the install and I appreciate the quality of the product at the price point it's at. We used to use a Shaw commercial product (another LVP - can't remember the specifics) but it was 2x the cost and I'm not sure it was 2x better than the off the shelf stuff at Home Depot. 

    I'm not too concerned about the temperatures of the flooring. I can't imagine hardwood floors would be any warmer, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...just ask my girlfriend!

    Lastly, pro tip: if you get enough flooring, you can go to the pro desk (or the guy/gal in flooring) at Home Depot and try to negotiate a discount - especially if you're buying enough that they have to place an order. We're usually able to negotiate 5-15% off the retail price they quote us. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Filipe Pereira Thank you! This helps a lot.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    I prefer LVP. Yes, it will be cooler than carpet but the tenant can always put down area rugs. I personally try to keep carpet in the bedrooms and LVP in the rest of the rental.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Centennial, CO · Member since 2019 · 95 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    LVP all the way, including the bedrooms. Just brought on a new property and one bedroom still has carpet. Black light test showed over 100 dog urine spots. Disgusting! If you want to have pets in your rentals, LVP will hold up much better & longer than carpet. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Valley cottage NY · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    @David New I had Lifeproof LVP installed in my 3 unit and it looks amazing and is tenant proof. I figured I would spend a little extra on the floors to make sure they lasted. I have pictures of the floor I used if you would like to see. I even installed it in my primary residence and everyone who walks in loves the floors. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.