(Current) Tenants say the dumbest things, too...

(Current) Tenants say the dumbest things, too...

Member since 2011 路 798 posts 路 216 votes

So, your tenant made it through the screening process and moved in.

What kind of dumb things are they saying now?

Petty requests?

Requests to remodel?

Requests for upgraded appliances?

Whining about the internet you provide free as a courtesy? (don't do it.. it's not worth it)

Excuses for not paying rent on time?

6Reply
608 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor 路 Maui, HI 路 Member since 2009 路 13k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
13y

I have a tenant that continually complains of being cold, and I need to do a better job of sealing her doors (which they are sealed fine.) I go over there- and her heat is off. "Well, I don't wan to pay for all that electricity! I just run it once in a while."

.............

See this reply in the discussion

281 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor 路 Audubon, PA 路 Member since 2009 路 13k+ posts 路 8k+ votes
    9y

    @Terrell 

    @Terrell Garren - that story should be placed into this other thread for applicants:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/737...

  • Amelia, OH 路 Member since 2017 路 10 posts 路 5 votes
    9y

    First time landlord here with first tenants who looked good on paper..classic mistake I guess. First payment comes due and they forgot they had a car payment. Grace period goes by and husband hasn't been working much lately (he was just telling me how he got promoted to 1st shift two days before). Can't pay rent but insist on asking me about MY mortgage obligations. They wanted to see clear deed to property because their cousin did a lease option and owner never paid mortgage causing property to be foreclosed on. They sat straight faced and asked me about how they could trust I would pay MY obligations when they weren't paying rent after one month. 3 day notice is posted.

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Audubon, PA 路 Member since 2009 路 13k+ posts 路 8k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @RaeLena Morrison:

    First time landlord here with first tenants who looked good on paper..classic mistake I guess. First payment comes due and they forgot they had a car payment. Grace period goes by and husband hasn't been working much lately (he was just telling me how he got promoted to 1st shift two days before). Can't pay rent but insist on asking me about MY mortgage obligations. They wanted to see clear deed to property because their cousin did a lease option and owner never paid mortgage causing property to be foreclosed on. They sat straight faced and asked me about how they could trust I would pay MY obligations when they weren't paying rent after one month. 3 day notice is posted.

    Did you perform an actual employment verification? If so, are you sure it was really the employer you corresponded with, and not a shill?

  • Amelia, OH 路 Member since 2017 路 10 posts 路 5 votes
    9y

    @Steve Babiak- I did, one of them is a school teacher at the local school and teaches driver's education during summer. Other one works for building contractor (who should have plenty of work during summer)

  • Contractor 路 Loganville, WI 路 Member since 2015 路 65 posts 路 44 votes
    9y

    Had a tenant that was with me for 10 months with next to no issues wanted his girl friend to move into the house he was renting and to sign a two year lease agreement/extension.  

    Two weeks later he tells me that he is joining the army and wants to break his lease. 

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Houma, LA 路 Member since 2016 路 238 posts 路 115 votes
    9y

    Currently listing a home for rent as we finish up the last few details of the rehab and showing it to prospective tenants.

    Had one send a total of 12 messages via Zillow, Trulia, and Craiglist asking to see the property immediately. Since I was going there this morning, I contacted her to come by. She showed up late, proceeded to tell me that she was evicted from a rental last year, and will most likely break her current lease to move into our rental, so when can she find out when she can move in?

    "Well, ma'am, we will not be finished with the last few details until this weekend, so we will be making our decision next week."

    "But I need to know right away, because if I wait, I will have to pay another month's rent where I am now and won't have the deposit & rent for here..."

    "For reasons previously stated, and because we also have other tenants who applied to rent the property, we will make our decision next week. Here is our application and a document explaining our application process and selection criteria."

    "Oh, OK. Thank you."

    Uhhhhhhhh?!?!?!?!?

  • Investor 路 Valparaiso, IN 路 Member since 2011 路 103 posts 路 65 votes
    9y

    Originally posted by @Clint Galliano:

    Currently listing a home for rent as we finish up the last few details of the rehab and showing it to prospective tenants.

    ...

    Clint, I hope you'll share that story (and any others you might have about applicants) over on the Tenant Applicants thread: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/737...

    We all need a good laugh now and then! Lets us know we're not alone! :)

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Houma, LA 路 Member since 2016 路 238 posts 路 115 votes
    9y

    @Rich Schmidt Didn't realize there was a thread for it...cross-posting now.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 227 posts 路 287 votes
    9y

    Inherited tenant hasn't paid any rent since I got the property 6 weeks ago. Slumlord seller had no agreement to give me but the one thing she and the tenant agree on is it's just a month-to-month agreement. Of course, the tenant has been dodging me whenever I've shown up with a new lease to sign. She also refused cash for keys. So, I put up a pay or quit and also a termination letter on her door.

    She texted me. She doesn't think I can terminate a lease that doesn't exist, so I can never legally get her out of my property. She'll be talking to her uncle who's a lawyer "to see wat my opinion are".

    Okay lady.

  • Queen Creek, AZ 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    We recently had a tenant that was late on their rent.  Five days after rent is due they post a picture on Facebook of themselves skydiving.  Yup up in the plane with their parachute on.  

    I was tempted to post and ask if they could land in the neighborhood to "drop off" the rent check.

  • Queen Creek, AZ 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    Someone stopped by and paid the rent today....

  • Investor 路 Akron, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    9y

    I'm moving because I'm tired of you always reminding me about my late rent when I know perfectly well my rent is late.

  • Chris S.Business Member
    Property Manager 路 Anchorage, AK 路 Member since 2017 路 175 posts 路 160 votes
    9y

    I have a tenant who is notoriously late on rent every month, always pays, but is always late. Well in Alaska we get the PFD, basically money from the state for living here. So PFD's are coming out and they are getting around 1100/family member, kids included. So he tells me that the old landlord would let them pay in advance whenever PFD comes out, I am thinking okay...maybe.....Then he insists that since he is paying in advance, he should get a discount of at least $100 monthly. Stated the former landlord would do it for him. Cant help by wonder why he think I would give him a discount on money he is going to be paying me anyways...assuming he wants to keep living there that is....

  • Property Manager 路 Livonia, MI 路 Member since 2011 路 4k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    8y

    my buddy @Keith Jourdan tenants just asked him if they should be paying the property taxes! lol

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Sevierville, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    8y

    LOL he should tell them yes, @George P.!  I mean, since they're offering... ;) 

  • Property Manager 路 Livonia, MI 路 Member since 2011 路 4k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    LOL he should tell them yes, @George P.!  I mean, since they're offering... ;) 

     Lol

    I told him to tell them since they are offering, they can pay all my 40 too! 馃槀馃槀

  • Property Manager 路 Metro Detroit, MI 路 Member since 2008 路 305 posts 路 362 votes
    8y

    just when you thought you've heard it all , a new gem appears !

  • Investor 路 Louisville, KY 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 253 votes
    8y

    I had a tenant that called me and said their electric was out in their apartment and could i come over and fix it right now (I do most of my own maintenance) because they had a young child and it was very hot without air in the apartment. I asked them to look outside and see if other homes had lights on (it was dark outside) up and down the street. They replied that they were already outside and so were all of the neighbors because everyone's electric was out. I explained that i would call the electric company to come and check the area. They replied that several people had already done that but she was requesting me to come and fix myself since she had a young child.

    Another tenant was not going to be home during a pest service so I let the pest company in and noticed the horse head on the counter soaking in a large pot of water.

  • Catskill, NY 路 Member since 2018 路 636 posts 路 668 votes
    8y

    I really enjoyed reading this thread!

    When I did property management, we had a younger couple (early 20's) renting from us.  They called about a maintenance issue.  We go to fix it and when we walk in the place is a disaster.  They must have been able to see the disgust on our faces because the girl says right away, "I can't wait for spring so we can do some spring cleaning."  This was in december and they had only been there for a  month or two.    

    I did PM for quite a while.  I'm sure I'll have more to add.

  • Augusta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    8y

    Tenant calls (late on a Saturday night) and says "steam is coming out of the closet in the middle bedroom".  Steam? (note; no radiator heat in the place).  I ask him how long has this been happening (I've got a pretty good idea what the problem is).  He says, oh, a couple of days.

    I drag Bill over and I get to crawl under the house (his back is out).  The closet butts up to the bathroom and the real issue is a leak in one of the water lines running up to the tub faucets.   It's not a difficult fix but it sure would have been more fun during daylight hours.

    Gail

  • Columbia, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 133 posts 路 190 votes
    8y
    Got a few but two of my favorites. First guy worked for army corps of engineers, mid 50s. First weekend said batteries were dead in thermostat and he wasn't "comfortable" changing himself. Went there and 30 seconds later done. He had been there 3 days but there were literally 25-30 4 loko cans laying around! He layer said the windows were all put in incorrectly and needed to be redone because letting in air. I lived there myself before so I knew it wasn't true but was curious. Windows open from top and bottom.....popped into place and boom, 30 seconds later done. He would email me these huge rambling messages at 3am (4 Loki fueled I'm sure) about how I deceived him about no previous pets in the unit because he could smell the urine. This was in Augusta GA and there is a paper mill close. He refused to believe me and asked to change his 2 year lease to 1 year. I met him the very next day! Second worked for VA and lost her keys twice within first month. Told her to get duplicate or charge next time (lost again 6 months later, no spare). She dumped spaghetti noodles down drain and LUCKILY I was there fixing something the same day and saw the noodles because when plumber told me the reason for the clog she denied it until I told her I saw them myself. She left the house with fleas, swore dog was on treatment (any pest guy will tell you the best flea medicine is a treated dog), and said damaged carpet was there when she got there even though it was brand new. She was one of my worst renters even though never late because she was a know it all and lied to make herself "right" about everything.
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Sumter, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 334 posts 路 531 votes
    8y

    Ugh, my very first tenant dumped spaghetti down the drain and gave me the big ol' Puss in Boots eyes, said she would NEVER do that. Uh huh. Someone else must have snuck in here and cooked dinner.

    My most recent tenant poured a bunch of grease down the drain and guess what? It clogged. Same big innocent eyes - no, I didn't do that! *sigh*

  • Catskill, NY 路 Member since 2018 路 636 posts 路 668 votes
    8y

    The spaghetti down the drain stories reminded me of another story.  This couple (mid 20's) with a young child called and said their toilet was clogged.  Their toilet was clogged before because their kid threw a toy in there and flushed it, so we tell the plumber to let us know what they find so we can bill them if it was their fault.  Plumber calls us and says "we told them we pulled something out of the toilet and they immediately say "we haven't had cabbage in days!"  The plumber never told them what they found (it was cabbage) but they incriminated themselves right away.  

  • Investor 路 Tarpon Springs, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 49 posts 路 11 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dawn P.:

    Ugh, my very first tenant dumped spaghetti down the drain and gave me the big ol' Puss in Boots eyes, said she would NEVER do that. Uh huh. Someone else must have snuck in here and cooked dinner.

    My most recent tenant poured a bunch of grease down the drain and guess what? It clogged. Same big innocent eyes - no, I didn't do that! *sigh*

     Until I read this thread, I didn't know spaghetti was such a problem!

  • Property Manager 路 Livonia, MI 路 Member since 2011 路 4k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    8y

    current tenant (4 yrs at the house): My bath ceiling paint is peeling. Come and fix it!

    me: Oh, is the Panasonic bath fan (best fan) not working?

    her: Oh, we dont use it. Noone told us we have to use it!

    me:

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.