Zillow de-activated my Rental Listing

13 Replies

Has anyone had this issue?

I posted a new rental listing to Zillow, and it was active for about 30 minutes before it was relabeled as "off market".

No explanation, no notification, nothing.... I am completely lost here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The same thing happened to me just yesterday.  I figured out it was because I was using my mobile phone.  Once I used my laptop, it listed and stayed (I just checked).  Good luck!

Is it a paid listing? And did you pay for it?

I didn't use Zillow for our recent turnover since they now charge a fee in our market. I used Facebook and was easily able to find a tenant through that site.

Once, I had someone looking to scam post duplicate listings for the houses I had for rent taking my pictures and everything. Zillow's customer service took them down quickly, but watch out for that too. Otherwise I have found that most of my residents found my houses on Zillow/HotPads/Trulia than anything else right now, and it's still free in my market. Otherwise I have tried Facebook before, but nothing good ever came from those leads, so I'm sticking with Zillow. 

Hey @Robert Palladino, I've had this happen a few times in the past 4-5 months.  Each time I have jostled it around (usually by deleting the photos and re-uploading the photos, deleting the address and re-entering that, etc) and it has worked to get the listing back up, eventually.

I've had most success using the Zillow Rentals app -- it showed me why it wasn't posting to Zillow, yet was on Hotpads and Trulia.  

At least one other time the address was originally deemed to be in Miami and no amount of editing or changing it would do, so I had to delete the listing and start a new one.  That worked.

Ultimately it's clear that Zillow is overhauling their Zillow Rental product and I think we'll continue to see some "rough edges" along the way.  I'm looking forward to finding solutions to these issues together!

Will

@Will Fraser I really like their improvements in the Zillow rental manager app, especially their messaging component. That's how I kept track of all my conversations with all of the Zillow leads this past spring, it worked really well. I looked at doing their online application process, but I found people were submitting applications without even inquiring about or looking at the house and I found that a little off.

My largest frustration with all the advertising venues is that people don't read the ads. They see a "shiny thing" and start making inquiries wasting my time when the answers to their questions were clearly in the ad.

Regarding fraudulent ads, I've had prospective tenants tell me that a large percentage of the online ads are fake.

I few times I've had fake clones of my ads appear (usually on Craigslist) using all the data from my ad but a price a couple hundred less. These ads have appeared on sites I haven't even listed on, so it's a problem for sure. What I started doing is putting a for rent sign in front of the house with the price and my phone number. That's where I usually get the calls from, ie someone parked by the house and asking about why the sign gives a higher price than the ad?

Same exact thing happened to me over the weekend. I put my listing up on Friday night just to find that my listing was pulled down by Saturday. I messaged Zillow through the help messaging system right away and unfortunately it took until Monday evening for them to respond. They said that it was essentially a glitch and they resolved it and asked me to reactivate it. Hopefully they sort out whatever is going on. 

Originally posted by @John Teachout :

I few times I've had fake clones of my ads appear (usually on Craigslist) using all the data from my ad but a price a couple hundred less. These ads have appeared on sites I haven't even listed on, so it's a problem for sure. What I started doing is putting a for rent sign in front of the house with the price and my phone number. That's where I usually get the calls from, ie someone parked by the house and asking about why the sign gives a higher price than the ad?

Thanks for posting this John, this information is excellent to be aware of, and your mitigation technique is very simple.