Questions for landlords.

33 Replies

So I have 2 questions that I need general answers to, and I would also like to have specific answers from Missouri landlords if at all possible.

Details of my property in case it matters—— Duplex 1br 1ba in Jennings, Missouri.

Is it the standard for a duplex rental property to come with a landlord provided refrigerator in each unit?

And should landlord install blinds on windows or is that the tenants responsibility?

@Alex Penalva   I'm not in Missouri, but two things to think about.  For fridges, do you want tenants moving a fridge and out of the house every time you have a turn over?  Yes there is maintenance if it breaks, but a lot of damage can happen moving a fridge in and out every year or two.

Same with blinds.  I wouldn't want tenants screwing holes in the windows.  Provide a curtain rod that they can put their own curtains up (or supply some cheap ones from a  thrift store).

Some areas seem to have tenants supply their own appliances, but I’m in agreement. I can’t imagine not providing a fridge and blinds. I really don’t want tenants installing the cheapest possible (or black garbage bag) blinds.

Here it is done both ways. SFRs and slumlords are the two groups most likey NOT to provide appliances though some do. Window treatments are often not supplied unless they are left by a former tenant-- I do provide 2" faux wood blinds in my low income properties because they hold up better than mini blinds and make the property look better from the outside than having sheets hanging from the windows and they prevent wall damage

@Alex Penalva Let me answer with a question, what kind of tenants do you want to have? 

Fact and reality of PM is it's A-Give to-get, less give less get, more give more get. Yes, screening comes into play, aside from all of those obvious operational points not mentioned you will have a lot better time enticing a horse to come your way with an apple in hand than a fist full of nails. 

We strive to provide full appliance packages in all units of every size; fridges, washer/dryer, dishwasher, the whole 9. With that we can ask for a better tenant and better rents, and have better chance to receive that. 

You gotta remember it's called "Investing" for a reason, gotta give to get. 

Originally posted by @Alex Penalva :

So I have 2 questions that I need general answers to, and I would also like to have specific answers from Missouri landlords if at all possible.

Details of my property in case it matters—— Duplex 1br 1ba in Jennings, Missouri.

Is it the standard for a duplex rental property to come with a landlord provided refrigerator in each unit?

And should landlord install blinds on windows or is that the tenants responsibility?

I always provide fridge, dw, microwave, stove and blinds. Blinds are for privacy and to keep the Mickey mouse sheets out!

@James Hamling makes sense, thanks for the info/tips. It’s my first property and I’m honestly drawing from my experiences as a renter, and in my area blinds, fridges and several other things are at the discretion of the tenant. But I see the advantages or disadvantages I should say of a landlord not provide some or all of the appliances.

Kind of depends on your market as well, so hopefully you will get some local responses too. For example while showing units in Springfield, MA we've picked up on tenants being surprised that we include fridges. But 15 minutes south in CT, it's expected we provide a fridge.

I've always thought it a bit strange to not include a fridge, but this is another one of those times where we just say "real estate is local" and keep it moving forward. 

@Alex Olson everybody loves mickey, but I guess that’s why we go to Disney Land. 😂😂 thanks for the response, you’re absolutely right, small costs today can make me more money tomorrow.

I don't get what it is with the Mickey mouse sheets. I would think they are expensive!!

@Alex Penalva

I’m not Missouri, but one state over, and I also own duplexes. Yes to all appliances and blinds, provided by the landlord. And, my leases state no window coverings such as sheets, flags, etc allowed. They don’t have to put up curtains since all windows have blinds.

I'm in Saint Louis City. It attracts tenants and gives you one up on the competition. In that demographic the best they can do is tear up the door and flooring moving it in and out, and it will leak. At $500 new with warranty I do it.

@James Hamling

Very good point James. The better the appliances, the better the tenants. I had a dishwasher go out on me a year ago, white color. I replaced it with a nicer stainless steel dishwasher with a silverware rack on top. Tenants appreciated it. Spent a little more but it is better for all parties involved.

I can see how investors would disagree, but overall concept: you get what you pay for. 😎👊🏽

@Alex Penalva You have to decide the quality of rentals you want. If you don’t provide a refrigerator, will your competitors?? Are you ok with that?? If you don’t put up blinds, then the tenants could be cheap and put up sheets and that will affect your property curb appeal.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here