General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Bailey
Votes |
I met the tenant during the home inspection

Arthur Bailey
Posted Jun 1 2020, 16:37

So during the home inspection, the tenant asked if I was the potential buyer. I didn't want to lie and say I wasn't then they have to deal with me later so I said I was. This tenant has been in the property for 4 years. Is a Section 8 voucher holder.

I used this opportunity to talk to the tenant about what they like and dislike about the property. Their only 2 complaints was that it get extremely cold in the winter and the heat doesn't stay on. I believe this is due to the thermostat being placed in the hallway on the wall where the heater and return is.

secomd complaint is that it is extremely hot in the summer.( There is no central ac but does have forced heat)

My question:

1. Thermostat: install a wireless thermostat and move the sensor to the living room? This is away from the hallway and would be a better source to warm the home.

2. Provide a portable AC unit? A decent one will run about $400. The tenant has their own unit in their bedroom window, but doesn't want to install one in the living room due to the threat of theft. They are gone the majority of the day 6 am until 6pm. 

So as the new landlord, would you provide these items for your tenant? Their living space was well kept so I think that it is a good tenant to try and keep and keep happy.

Loading replies...