Votes
Byron Kim
  • Orange, CA
Votes |
Central A/C issue, tenant not satisfied with repairs

Byron Kim
  • Orange, CA
Posted Jun 10 2020, 18:40

Long story short, I recently repaired an old condenser motor to get the condenser to work without overheating. Ideally, I'd like to replace the whole thing, but there are alot of issues with the placement of the heating and condenser units and whether there is enough ventilation. Basically, the unit I own and rent out is on the second floor and the A/C unit is on the balcony in an enclosed closet. I've had numerous people come out and give their thoughts on how to work around the location and ventilation issue, but they all come back to the same issue: the balcony is the biggest ventilation impediment. I brought out the warranty company, and they won't cover a replacement because of this space and ventilation issue, saying that it is improperly installed. I went today to check on the performance of the repaired unit and it was running (tenant used it from 9am - 5pm today) and the apartment was cooler and cooler air was blowing, but the temp inside the unit (500 sq ft studio) was still hovering around 75 degrees F, which still seems warm. It was 100 degrees outside when I went to check. IMO, I think the unit runs adequately and is habitable for the time being while I can figure out how to properly install a new unit 

It is important to note that because of so many issues to replace it properly were presented and no one offered an immediate solution, it took me too long to start fixing it. It took me 4 weeks to finally find someone who could repair it. I know this is where I likely messed up, but I didn't want to install something that wouldn't work and was constructed/placed incorrectly. The replacement would cost me up to $6000. As compensation, I offered a 10% rent reduction to the tenant for 6 months and to buy a suitable portable A/C unit for her to use in the unit should she not want to use the central A/C. My tenant did verbally agree to the compensation I offered 2 days ago, but did not sign the addendum today, as she wanted to wait 2 more days to think.

My questions are:
1. What could I have done differently, or what should I have done regarding this issue?
2. Did I concede way too much or too little for how this issue went down?
3. Should my tenant ask for a break from the lease, how should I proceed forward? Should I let her out immediately? Should I require rent payment until one of us finds a suitable replacement? How would you approach this issue should it occur?

My main goal is to end this issue permanently so I don't have to deal with this headache. I work full-time, and this has become a huge burden for me this past month.

Any and all insight/criticism/thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance. 

Loading replies...