Accepting a tenant???

Accepting a tenant???

Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 33 votes

Hello,

I have a potential tenant. She has a good job, she is willing to put in a larger security deposit, very friendly. Her credit score is 599. My rental is a former Airbnb so I am renting it out fully furnished.

I was hoping for a 650 or better credit score. She has one item that is delinquent and has been very communicative with her situation (newly divorced). What do you guys think. I feel like renters are going to have a less than stellar credit score but is 599 unacceptable.

Brian

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
6y

@Brian Mackey I don't think that the credit score should be the most important indicator, especially if she's been able to give you a decent explanation of her low score. If you're considering her as a tenant, I suggest that you also look into her current income and her length of employment. Cross check with all her references as well. If you're still uncertain, you can ask for a co-signer.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · FL · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    Is this for a long term or medium-term stay?

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    @Brian Mackey I don't think that the credit score should be the most important indicator, especially if she's been able to give you a decent explanation of her low score. If you're considering her as a tenant, I suggest that you also look into her current income and her length of employment. Cross check with all her references as well. If you're still uncertain, you can ask for a co-signer.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Credit score is just one factor, and it's not always a true factor. 600 is pretty low, but the bigger question is: why is it so low? Does she have collections or judgments? Poor payment performance? Medical debt or student loans? I would need to know more before automatically denying someone for credit score.

    I've rented to people with scores under 550 and they've been really good renters. But I don't judge a person solely on credit. I also look at previous Landlord references, rent:income ratios, longevity in their current job or career, longevity in their last rental, a review of social media, and more. Some people really, really suck at handling money but they always pay rent on time and always take care of their home. You just have to figure out how to determine that.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Tenants: monthly income at least "three" times the rent.

    With Smartmove, you get a complete background.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Mackey  Ask her why it is so low.  If she's just gone through a divorce that may explain it.  Go with your gut and as others said, length of employment, employment income.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Mackey recent divorce perfectly plausible and potentially overlookable. Does she have available credit? One of the issues with a low credit score is that people are operating without the margin of safety having credit provides. They are a car repair away from being in cash flow trouble through no fault of their own

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Mackey. I don't think 600 is that low. Most of my applicants lately have been between 575-625, for various reasons. If you want credit scores much higher, you're probably looking at people that are buying homes. But like everybody else said, the reasons, income, employment are some things to look at. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Nathan Gesner. I love that you added "a review of their social media". I have flat out refused to contact people back based upon their social media. If I advertise on Facebook, and you contact me through messenger, feel free to clean up some of your Facebook posts ahead of time. "F the Police" is not an appealing message to see for a potential tenant. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Wick:

    @Nathan Gesner. I love that you added "a review of their social media". I have flat out refused to contact people back based upon their social media. If I advertise on Facebook, and you contact me through messenger, feel free to clean up some of your Facebook posts ahead of time. "F the Police" is not an appealing message to see for a potential tenant. 

    It works well for employees, too. I had one recently claim to be on a "doctor ordered" quarantine for ten days. I found out she was camping and paddle boarding with her pals right in the middle of it.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Anthony Wick FB has been my friend MANY times while vetting a prospect. It amazes me what you can learn. One profile pic was a guy holding drugs and alcohol when we discussed my place was not a party scene. What about people who say they have no pets but their profile pic shows them with 3 pit bulls and says “dog mama”. These are real from just months ago. Also, FB rental posts to date have NEVER found me a qualified tenant, and don’t know why.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Mackey

    599 with collections = no go.

    700 with open collections = no go.

    825 with open collection = no go.

    599 with no collections and a clear pattern of good habits = giver.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Todd Powell. Interesting about zero qualified candidates through Facebook for you. I've found a few. I get the most inquiries through Facebook. But yes, the most non-qualified as well. I'll take a good old Zillow inquiry all day, every day. Most of those are qualified applicants. I have also stopped advertising on Craigslist. And Apartments.com has never once sent me an inquiry from anybody. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    Thanks everyone for the support.  I decided to move on from the tenant.  She was super persistent but I resisted.  Could've been a great tenant, could have been a disaster.  Decided to stick to my criteria. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
    6y

    599 isn't that bad.  Those with really good scores will stay 2 years and then become homeowners.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.