Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Laffey
  • Bay Area, CA.
Votes |
Buying occupied Duplex in CA - can I move in?

Kyle Laffey
  • Bay Area, CA.
Posted

This duplex popped up in the perfect neighborhood of Bay Area, the first of its kind in over 10 years to be listed. There were bad photos and incorrect listing information, so I was able to see it first and make an offer before anyone else! Here's the catch...

My offer is 100k below asking price with contingency that one of the units be vacant so I can move in - she said NO due to contingency, not price. Apparently the seller is acting weird and just not wanting to deal with asking this guy to leave / evicting him. He's got a lot of guns, taxidermy, dirt bikes, etc. and scares her.

My question is - given I won't see an opportunity like this again in this area, should I proceed with buying the duplex at a fantastic price? His lease is month-to-month so I can give him 30-day notice, potentially offer cash-for-keys, or wait until courts are open to evict him (uncertain of when this will be). However it's unclear on how long this will take or what it will cost. Apparently it plays in my favor that I want to move in to the property myself rather than evict him for a new tenant?

Thank you in advance for taking the time and for any ideas!

Cheers,

Kyle

Note: Yes, I am working with a good agent + lawyer to find out my options; I simply wanted to bounce the ideas around here to see if there's any new perspectives.

Loading replies...