Damage Charge- me or tenant pays?

7 Replies

Hi BP members, question- my tenant texted about an hour ago letting me know that a tweaker "dolphin dived" into my fenced and destroyed the entrance.

My question to you is do I charge the tenant or eat the charge?

The tenant told me the neighbor saw a man do it so I asked them for the neighbors phone number and asked them to file a police report. With all that info what is your input?

Any and all advice helps.

Thanks!

It sounds like a random tweaker so I have no idea why the tenant would be responsible for this.  If they invited this person over and you can prove it you may have a claim but if not this one is on you, if the damage is extensive maybe contact insurance but I doubt it is worth the claim.  

Originally posted by @Adam Martin :

It sounds like a random tweaker so I have no idea why the tenant would be responsible for this.  If they invited this person over and you can prove it you may have a claim but if not this one is on you, if the damage is extensive maybe contact insurance but I doubt it is worth the claim.  

Thanks for the comment! I should have mentioned they are moving out at the end of the month and for some reason have been calling me every other day with random things to fix. It'll probably be $30 to fix but I want to develop good habits and as a REI and Landlord so little charges don't become big and I constantly eat the charge. Also, there is no proof to it was a tweaker yet. For all I know their drunk friend who stumbled out and broke the fence.

Tenant reported it immediately, so they're likely telling the truth. They aren't responsible for damage caused by strangers coming onto the property. Document and hope you can be compensated by the tweaker.

Originally posted by @Nathan G. :

Tenant reported it immediately, so they're likely telling the truth. They aren't responsible for damage caused by strangers coming onto the property. Document and hope you can be compensated by the tweaker.

I appreciate the advice!

Write it off as being in business @Lucas Morales , as there isn't really anything else you can do. Even if you tried to blame the tenant, what proof would you have? 

Just part of doing business, write the check and keep pushing forward :)

I had to look up what a tweaker was.  The tenant didn't cause the problem, so it is something that you should pay to fix.

If they are calling recently with lots of random fixes and moving out in a few weeks, my guess is they are worried about getting their deposit back.