• Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Just for your reading pleasure... crazy entitled tenant

Karen F.
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Dec 23 2020, 20:02

Last March, at the beginning of the pandemic, one of our tenants didn't pay, and didn't answer our texts.  Finally, she contacted me.  Her husband had left her.  She had no food.  She had no dog food.  She had no money.

I packed her up two bags of groceries from our stockpile, and bought over-the-phone an enormous bag of dog food for her dogs that the store then loaded into my husband's van.  He delivered it all to her.  She eventually was able to catch up on the rent, and has paid mostly on time since.

Recently, on a Wednesday evening (snowstorm here), she called saying no heat.  Husband drove to her apt in the snow, got the heat up and running.  But Thursday, no heat again.  That afternoon, he brought her two oil-filled electric radiators, got in an HVAC tech.  They spent hours working on the unit, but were left with the risk of replacing a valve in an old gas pipe in the unit (which was old), so decided to do a replacement.  The HVAC tech and husband installed a brand new unit on Saturday.  Meanwhile, she had the two electric oil-filled radiators, and gas hot water, and gas stove.  She complained vociferously throughout.  She wanted the furnace instantly repaired or replaced, and she meant instantly.  She bitched that her electric bill would go up from using the electric radiators.  On Sunday, she called complaining that some of the vents were cold.  Husband ran down there - turned out that she didn't know the difference between a return and a heating vent, but new furnace was functioning perfectly.  On Monday, she complained that the programmable thermostat was broken.  He went down there yet again. Turned out that despite my husband having shown her, she didn't understand how to simply override the programmable thermostat by putting it on HOLD mode, so each time she put the temp up to her preferred temp (78), when the thermostat moved to the next time setting, it would drop back down to 68.  (She pays her own gas and electric).

We're furious.  Immediate response, temporary provision of electric radiators, and a new unit within less than 72 hours of the first problem with the furnace, and it's just not good enough for her.  And this is the woman that I gave my own stockpiled food to, and purchased dog food for, at a time when we didn't know how soon we could safely go into stores again.

She's on a month to month lease.  I swear, the minute the eviction moratorium is over, I plan to raise her rent by 20% (it would still be arguably within market rates in that town), and the second she is late, file eviction on her.

Loading replies...