Eviction Moratorium Effects

51 Replies

Current eviction moratoriums are set to expire on 12/31/2020 - 01/01/2021.

What do you expect to happen after the moratoriums are lifted (burdening consumer debt, an abnormal amount of evictions, payments will resume as normal, increased amount of payment defaults, etc.)?

Did you not hear the news?  The recently signed stimulus bill extends the CDC's national eviction moratorium for nonpayment of rent to January 31, 2021.  In many jurisdictions - like NY - they aren't evicting anyone for any reason.  I expect a Biden administration will continue to extend the eviction moratorium for the forseeable future.

@Mark Brown

I am a small landlord in upstate NY. I have been trying to evict a tenant since January 2019 Pre-COVID!!!she has not payed rent for 13 months! and now allowed to stay even longer. NYS won't even give me a hearing, they just keep postponing!  This is completely outrageous!! I don't understand why more landlords aren't outraged by this Eviction BAN!!! 

Originally posted by @Mark Brown :

Did you not hear the news?  The recently signed stimulus bill extends the CDC's national eviction moratorium for nonpayment of rent to January 31, 2021.  In many jurisdictions - like NY - they aren't evicting anyone for any reason.  I expect a Biden administration will continue to extend the eviction moratorium for the forseeable future.

Thanks for the update! in all honesty I've been a bit cut out from the outside world in the past week or so. Really appreciate the note!

Originally posted by @Andrea Coulter :

@Mark Brown

I am a small landlord in upstate NY. I have been trying to evict a tenant since January 2019 Pre-COVID!!!she has not payed rent for 13 months! and now allowed to stay even longer. NYS won't even give me a hearing, they just keep postponing!  This is completely outrageous!! I don't understand why more landlords aren't outraged by this Eviction BAN!!! 

I'm sorry to hear that Andrea, this sounds horrible. Unfortunately I've heard are too many stories like yours... Is the tenant replying to your communication in any way?

Document all of your communication. Having a paper trail will be useful in the future, if they are truly just taking advantage you and they are not facing any financial hardship, you will be able to prove it. 

Even if you prove it , doesnt mean anything. The debt collection laws are so weak probably wont get back rent owed. While we are battling these eviction moratorium we need to be working to add TEETH to consumer debt collection laws.  

I was in your boat too, @Andrea Coulter , until it was about to expire in our city and then they just paid up. Literally playing the system since they simply could (honestly, I don't blame them). But I don't think these stories are necessarily being talked about enough, and the rent figures just seem too rosy to me to fully believe. 

I do think there will be extensions with the new administration, further this inevitable issue - unless significant $$ is dumped into working out some payment plan or structure to get renters off the hook and landlords (some) money. 

This is an issue that will continue to get worse since it will be amplified (to some extent) by the states running out of $$ for unemployment (if they haven't at the state level already), and they will be left with just the $300/week through the end of March at the federal level. I do think this will provide some new inventory into the market in Q1/Q2 - unless drastic measures are taken to stop it by some new policies.