Walmart paint versus home depot and lowes which offers more coverage.

19 Replies

Hello
I am curious about others experience with these paint brands.

I used some Walmart paint and a gallon covered a living room and a hallway with about a half gallon to spare

a similar size living room and a bedroom
took up the whole gallon of Behr paint.

The only other brand I am familar is Valspar , but I have yet to use it in a bedroom or living room. only small bathrooms

So what is the deal
is the coverage on walmart really that much better than Behr

just so you know
When I used the behr I was using the exact same color It was matched perfectly by home depot's computer

when I used the walmart I used a blue over a tan.

my limited experience tells me walmart paint gets nearly twice the coverage of Behr.

any opinions on the subject?

Thanks Matt yes Brandon did quite the thorough job in making his case.

Like I thought Walmart seems to edge out Behr
but for different reasons than what i thought.

I used Behr's Premium Plus Ultra Expensive Paint in my basement. The only reason I used it is because that is was the previous owner used throughout. I found the same thing, the coverage was awful. I have a 20' x 12' room with a huge doorway and two small windows. I needed 3 to 4 coats with this ultra expensive "Primer & Paint" and the coverage stunk. I used nearly 4 gallons of paint.

I've found it's all in the surface prep.
If I have my guys, wash, sand and wipe - the first coat won't go far but the second doesn't get sucked in and can cover about 50% more than the first coat.

I like Sherwin Williams, huge discount from my REIA.

Check out the Killz Pro X that HD sells. I was using Sherwin Williams for years, but they kept jacking their prices. I recently dumped them like a girlfriend that gained five pounds. The Killz Pro X is cheaper and just as good. HD can mix Sherwin Williams' colors also.

I know that most architects spec Sher Williams or Bejamin Moore. That's also seems to be the pros paint of choice, it is outrageously expensive unless you have a contractors discount, then for just a basic eggshell you're looking at around $25/gallon

I stick with Consumer Reports. Every company has to reformulate their paints when new safety laws are passed, so the tried-and-true standards of paint aren't guaranteed to remain the best when you need your next gallon.

i use sher scrub from sherwin williams and pay around $15.50 per gallon. i love that paint. but i still need two coats, which i am fine with.

i buy the primer from HD since it's cheaper.

I've never used the Walmart brand but I've tried pretty much every other brand. For rentals it doesn't matter much - the cheap stuff is fine, especially if you're only covering the same color. In my own home I used Sherwin Williams but only with a discount. At normal price it's pretty pricey.

This topic is vague. You can't make a blanket statement about all these paint lines.

Tell us.....
Which walmart paint did you use? The Colorplace, or the Glidden 2in1?

Which Behr did you use? They have crappy paint, and they have paint/primer in one.

Was it an apples to apples comparison? Blue over tan for both?
Some colors cover better.

I have tried all different brands of paint. I have no brand loyalty.
I've tried Behr premium plus, Dunn Edwards, Valspar contractor grade paint, and I have a can of Glidden premium exterior I have yet to open.
Of all the product lines I have in my garage, they all apply pretty much the same with a roller.

Each brand of paint has different formulations. You need to look at their website for the specs.

I really only compared two paints
it was the color place from walmart
The application was blue over tan

and for the behr which I cant recall which one but it was the one that costs about 30.00 if that helps

I dont think it was primer in one

I think it was regular 30.00 Behr paint

there is clearly a difference to how these two brands stretched out

and since the blue over tan (color place) should have been harder to cover

than tan over tan (Behr)
I think the Behr fell short.

but I have limited experience which is why I asked for other's opinions.

i tried the behr with the primer in it. it sucks (does not cover in just one pass like they claim).

i can't believe people pay over $30 for that stuff...

I have been very happy with the Ultra paint from Pittsburgh Paints (approx $25/gallon). I painted a light tan over a dark purple and it covered 99% in just one coat; I only had to do touch ups versus an entirely new coat.

I have never tried Walmart paint however although I may try a gallon just to do a comparison.

I'd use Sherwin Williams.

I use the kilz primer tinted/colored to the final coat.
(& if its new drywall I use the oil base kilz.)
The final coat is whatever is on sale.

We did have an issue with Valspar once, so never again.
Never thought of WalMart though.

Originally posted by George P.:
i tried the behr with the primer in it. it sucks (does not cover in just one pass like they claim).

i can't believe people pay over $30 for that stuff...

That's a common misconception. You still need two coats most of the time. But it saves you the time for a separate primer coat.

Normally for color changes, you put primer+coat+coat.
With behr paint/primer, you just do coat+coat.

Everyone b--hes about the behr this way.

Originally posted by Steven Maduro:

I think it was regular 30.00 Behr paint

there is clearly a difference to how these two brands stretched out

and since the blue over tan (color place) should have been harder to cover

than tan over tan (Behr)
I think the Behr fell short.

but I have limited experience which is why I asked for other's opinions.

I find it harder to cover white over white than a darker color over lighter color. My tenants once painted tan over white with some cheap crappy paint. Covered in one coat, no problem.

Since blue has more pigment and is much darker than tan, it would cover better.

Colorplace is supposed to be really crappy paint. It looks like Glidden makes the colorplace paint, as I found its spec sheet on glidden's website, and the ingredients are lower quality/quantity.

I bet if you got blue behr premiumplus paint, it would cover equally well.

Those who say "get sherwin williams" without specifying which line are not helping.
Their lineup is huge-
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/catalog/shelf/interior-paint-coatings/paint-coatings/?paging=false

SW does make paint in this price range for contractors, such as ProMar 200, and Lowes has a competing product called Valspar 2000 for around $20/gallon. It hides well, and I have gotten the advertised coverage, which is about 350 sqft per gallon.

Like someone else mentioned, Kilz ProX has gotten good reviews from paint contractors, and is around $20/gal as well.

tint the primer to the color you will be doing for the topcoat. i do one color for my rentals so makes it easier for touch up.

everyone here complains about the price of paint. it's probably 10-15% of your total cost. most is labor. if you can paint yourself, you can save a lot of $.

This post has yielded quite a bit of information

who would have thought that covering white over white would be difficult.

good point about things not being equal concerning blue over tan
compared to cream over cream

The amount of experience on this site is amazing.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here