Todays Jobs Reports on the news

Todays Jobs Reports on the news

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes

If you saw the news this morning JOBs report is not as good as anticipated.

I dont know about other parts of the country but when I went to a Panda Express to buy MIss Lori some lunch big poster for hiring
15.50 an hour for basic server 16.50 hour for cook..    

Probably not going to change much until feds wean people off of stim money.

23Reply
473 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

If you saw the news this morning JOBs report is not as good as anticipated.

I dont know about other parts of the country but when I went to a Panda Express to buy MIss Lori some lunch big poster for hiring
15.50 an hour for basic server 16.50 hour for cook..    

Probably not going to change much until feds wean people off of stim money.

My understanding is that a lot of blue collar people moved away from high cost cities during the pandemic since their jobs all disappeared. It will take some time for them to come back (if they ever do). Low service level wages and high rents are a better explanation than government largesse for this phenomenon.

 And nobody sucks on the government teats harder than bankers and billionaires. Look at the  bank bailouts and tax breaks given to companies like Amazon to set up warehouses. So all this whining about poor people getting a few bucks is getting really tiresome.

See this reply in the discussion

188 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brad HammondBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    5y

    Hey @Jay Hinrichs, I saw McMenamins is offering a $1000 signing bonus for cooks!  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brad Hammond:

    Hey @Jay Hinrichs, I saw McMenamins is offering a $1000 signing bonus for cooks!  

    Big political battle to raise minimum wage .. then they do it and now still cant get people.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I can’t find helpers and have offered $25/hour.  Set your own days and hours 

    Factory manager near us told be they have 153 workers.  He said in any given day 35 to 45 people just won’t show up. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Michael Plante:

    I can’t find helpers and have offered $25/hour.  Set your own days and hours 

    Factory manager near us told be they have 153 workers.  He said in any given day 35 to 45 people just won’t show up.

    there goes the supply chain..  are we thinking its all the stim money ???  although when I did some flips in your area labor was darn tough. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    ~$600/week in unemployment benefits is ~$15/hour, which is not far from the median personal income in the country.  And, the job search requirements were removed...and there is every form of debt forbearance available.  Universal Truth: You always get what you incent.  The surprise is that unemployment is not higher.

  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    5y

    I predict next month’s jobs report will be similar....or worse, if they keep passing these bills extending all these “assistance” programs. Stop paying the unemployed $400 extra a week and give it to the people who are working and watch how quickly unemployment drops.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    There are signs all over the place. Nobody can compete with the feds.

    My state's governor just announced a $40 million dollar fund to provide unemployment to undocumented workers...

    You want to kick start the economy, turn off the spigot. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It’s not just the money. I plan to go back to work but I am not doing so until I finish my training in august. I was given a choice of either: 

    A.not utilizing all this government aid, putting myself at risk of a deadly virus that would have been much more risky for me, not having to deal with how miserable working in the restaurant industry is—terrible and fluctuating schedules, loss of much of my ability to enjoy a life outside of work because of the loss of my evenings weekends and holidays, abusive and entitled customers who treat you like you’re a servant and bark orders at you, management and ownership that are indifferent or overtly hostile to you over the smallest things—I’ve been written up over eating a piece of bread during a 12 hour shift when I had not eaten all day and was not allowed even a five minute bathroom break at one point. All for uncertain income because my income was based on the whims of the general public and people have generally been worse this last year. I mean think about it—the kind of people who can’t be bothered to just cook at home and insist on being served during a pandemic are not generally people who are overly considerate of others. Order delivery if you have to but insisting on dining in was just irresponsible and put a lot of people at risk. 
    being stuck in that dead end trap for the rest of my life and bouncing from one terrible job to another while dreaming of having a career I care about but never being able to go for it because of the financial and time hardships 
    or 

    B. Take the money, stay home and avoid illness, pay off debt with the money, use the free time to rescue, adopt, bind with, and train a puppy, go back to school to become a paramedic, and not be miserable everyday. 

    Which one would you choose? Frankly at this point I could be offered $2000 an hour and I wouldn’t go back to work in service. I am not going back to work until I am NReMT certified and licensed. Unemployment won’t run out until September 31 and I finish class for emt basic on august 13. Why would I want to to be someone’s servant for 2.13 and a 10% tip 

    U must have worked in Mississippi thats what servers make there 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It’s not just the money. I plan to go back to work but I am not doing so until I finish my training in august. I was given a choice of either: 

    A.not utilizing all this government aid, putting myself at risk of a deadly virus that would have been much more risky for me, not having to deal with how miserable working in the restaurant industry is—terrible and fluctuating schedules, loss of much of my ability to enjoy a life outside of work because of the loss of my evenings weekends and holidays, abusive and entitled customers who treat you like you’re a servant and bark orders at you, management and ownership that are indifferent or overtly hostile to you over the smallest things—I’ve been written up over eating a piece of bread during a 12 hour shift when I had not eaten all day and was not allowed even a five minute bathroom break at one point. All for uncertain income because my income was based on the whims of the general public and people have generally been worse this last year. I mean think about it—the kind of people who can’t be bothered to just cook at home and insist on being served during a pandemic are not generally people who are overly considerate of others. Order delivery if you have to but insisting on dining in was just irresponsible and put a lot of people at risk. 
    being stuck in that dead end trap for the rest of my life and bouncing from one terrible job to another while dreaming of having a career I care about but never being able to go for it because of the financial and time hardships 
    or 

    B. Take the money, stay home and avoid illness, pay off debt with the money, use the free time to rescue, adopt, bind with, and train a puppy, go back to school to become a paramedic, and not be miserable everyday. 

    Which one would you choose? Frankly at this point I could be offered $2000 an hour and I wouldn’t go back to work in service. I am not going back to work until I am NReMT certified and licensed. Unemployment won’t run out until September 31 and I finish class for emt basic on august 13. Why would I want to to be someone’s servant for 2.13 and a 10% tip 

    Servers in Oregon make 10 to 15 and hour plus tips.. and many make far more than the cooks and that always creates greif  I am not advocating the resturant bizz..  But I can tell you my wife and I have not eaten out when at our home base more than 10 times in the last year and NEVER dinner only lunch when we are at our subdivision working. 

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    5y

    If it makes employers pay people a living wage I'm all for it! 

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    5y

    No one has raised the minimum wage in Mississippi. Wait staff still get paid barely over $2 an hour. Otherwise minimum wage is $7.25. I think it is shameful. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    More people relying on government seems like an ongoing trend.  Well not a damn thing I can do about except buy more real estate with debt so I can take advantage of the destruction they are doing to the currency.  

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    If you saw the news this morning JOBs report is not as good as anticipated.

    I dont know about other parts of the country but when I went to a Panda Express to buy MIss Lori some lunch big poster for hiring
    15.50 an hour for basic server 16.50 hour for cook..    

    Probably not going to change much until feds wean people off of stim money.

    I live in chicken processing country. 9 billion pounds of chicken come from America. The plant in town supplies 1 million pounds every Wednesday to Russia and on Friday the same to China. The rest go to us. They are paying 17.50 an hour PLUS a 1650 sign on bonus. Just show up and work for a few weeks and earn 1650 dollars plus wages. This is only one plant out of 4. I have friends that work at this plant so I have inside info. In a hundred mile radius there are 20 plants. Tyson, Pilgrims Pride and others too. All hurting for work. 

    It was 16.50 last month and no sign on bonus. I will keep you posted on what it is next month. 

    17.50 + $1650 dollars for plucking chickens and no one wants to work. Like a Bruce Springsteen song. 57 plants there is nothing on. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    CNBC/Shepard Smith reported there was a job fair in Atlantic City last week.  9 casinos 1800 jobs, 20 people showed up.

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    If you saw the news this morning JOBs report is not as good as anticipated.

    I dont know about other parts of the country but when I went to a Panda Express to buy MIss Lori some lunch big poster for hiring
    15.50 an hour for basic server 16.50 hour for cook..    

    Probably not going to change much until feds wean people off of stim money.

    My understanding is that a lot of blue collar people moved away from high cost cities during the pandemic since their jobs all disappeared. It will take some time for them to come back (if they ever do). Low service level wages and high rents are a better explanation than government largesse for this phenomenon.

     And nobody sucks on the government teats harder than bankers and billionaires. Look at the  bank bailouts and tax breaks given to companies like Amazon to set up warehouses. So all this whining about poor people getting a few bucks is getting really tiresome.

  • Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    These low paying jobs In the food industry are not intended to be careers. If you want to be paid more aquire a skill that pays more.

    What some people fail to realize in order to pay more you need to charge more as a business.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Susan Maneck:

    No one has raised the minimum wage in Mississippi. Wait staff still get paid barely over $2 an hour. Otherwise minimum wage is $7.25. I think it is shameful. 

    The year I spent in Jackson / Madison  I was shocked when my local bar tender told me what they make and that area is NOT known for tipping.. I watched many not tip a dime.. that was shameful.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It’s not just the money. I plan to go back to work but I am not doing so until I finish my training in august. I was given a choice of either: 

    A.not utilizing all this government aid, putting myself at risk of a deadly virus that would have been much more risky for me, not having to deal with how miserable working in the restaurant industry is—terrible and fluctuating schedules, loss of much of my ability to enjoy a life outside of work because of the loss of my evenings weekends and holidays, abusive and entitled customers who treat you like you’re a servant and bark orders at you, management and ownership that are indifferent or overtly hostile to you over the smallest things—I’ve been written up over eating a piece of bread during a 12 hour shift when I had not eaten all day and was not allowed even a five minute bathroom break at one point. All for uncertain income because my income was based on the whims of the general public and people have generally been worse this last year. I mean think about it—the kind of people who can’t be bothered to just cook at home and insist on being served during a pandemic are not generally people who are overly considerate of others. Order delivery if you have to but insisting on dining in was just irresponsible and put a lot of people at risk. 
    being stuck in that dead end trap for the rest of my life and bouncing from one terrible job to another while dreaming of having a career I care about but never being able to go for it because of the financial and time hardships 
    or 

    B. Take the money, stay home and avoid illness, pay off debt with the money, use the free time to rescue, adopt, bind with, and train a puppy, go back to school to become a paramedic, and not be miserable everyday. 

    Which one would you choose? Frankly at this point I could be offered $2000 an hour and I wouldn’t go back to work in service. I am not going back to work until I am NReMT certified and licensed. Unemployment won’t run out until September 31 and I finish class for emt basic on august 13. Why would I want to to be someone’s servant for 2.13 and a 10% tip 

    Servers in Oregon make 10 to 15 and hour plus tips.. and many make far more than the cooks and that always creates greif  I am not advocating the resturant bizz..  But I can tell you my wife and I have not eaten out when at our home base more than 10 times in the last year and NEVER dinner only lunch when we are at our subdivision working. 

     I respect that.  And I have lived in Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.  Its always been 2.13 an hour, plus tips.  The 2.13 does not even cover taxes if you work at a higher end location which is what I preferred.  So the years I made $35,000 I ended up owing a few hundred dollars.  2.13 is insulting especially considering some of the things we have (had) to put up with. 

    Base pay for emt basics in Houston is 13-16 an hour.  But with an additional 10-20 hours overtime every week.  Paramedics (which is what I will eventually end up being) average $75,000-S85,000 here. Plus it is a job that will actually be challenging yet rewarding and which will do some real good in this world.

    2.13 an hour is about exactly what i earned in the early 70s bagging groceries.. 

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 97 posts · 40 votes
    5y

    28% of small business owners reported raising compensation in March of 2021. And still facing a labor shortage. The feds will eventually have to start thinking about sustainability in this country. 

  • Investor · Atlantic City, NJ · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Lynn:

    CNBC/Shepard Smith reported there was a job fair in Atlantic City last week.  9 casinos 1800 jobs, 20 people showed up.

    It’s truly pathetic, I’ve been looking for housekeepers for one of my hotels for 4 months. Only one application. 

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    One of my tenants told me her daughter ordered a pizza from a local pizza place around 8 pm one friday several week ago.  It finally got delivered around midnight.  The next day she called the manager (who happened to be the owner of the franchise) asking why the long delay.  The man actually started crying on the phone.  Said he started the night out with five workers; four of them received their stimulus checks and quit on the spot leaving him with one worker.  He spent the night making pizza and handling the phone orders while the one worker ran all over town delivering them. 

    Our local Lowes, Tractor Supply's, Family Dollar stores, Krogers, most of the fast chains ALL have signs up looking for help.  I can't get a plumber to address a non=emergency issue at the house we're rehabbing as they are currently down 9 workers (probably another stimulus story).

     I'm at the Lowes quite a bit since we're working on one house and the only workers there are older folks; there are signs up at the doors saying if you want a job come to the Customer Desk for an immediate interview.  I'm sorta fearful of going in more than twice a day worried I'm might be pulled over and hired on the spot.   One of the older workers told me he ran out to get lunch at a Hardees across the street but it was closed and there a sign on the door saying no one came to work that day.

    And now the irony....the same day my plumbing appointment was cancelled I was scheduled to get the roof on the house replaced.  I show up a little before 8:30 and the crew of hispanic workers are already there; have the tarps up and half the shingles off the roof.  A little while later the project manager shows up and tells me this is a family that they've hired a year and half ago and yes, they ARE legal and they always work like this (including the mom whose job is to clean up every shingle and nail that might miss the tarp) and never stop until the entire job is done.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    I have spent my last 13 years as medic. Do your research and dont be afraid to ask the hard questions. What are the consequences of this decision? There are risks. COVID and like diseases will be your average Tuesday. If you dont want to be in a restaurant due to risk, then you may reconsider being confined in a metal box with patients that are dying from every known and unknown disease.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    If you’re afraid of COVID, buckle up for the myriad illnesses you’ll deal with as an EMT. And if you think restaurant guests are rude? Wait until you’ve dealt with some of the homeless and drug dependent population.

    The grass ain’t always greener. Once you’ve wiped the 15th old person’s butt for the week, it’ll get old. EMTs also really don’t make much money and it’s an extremely competitive field. It can be a rewarding career but it’s not all daisys.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    If you saw the news this morning JOBs report is not as good as anticipated.

    I dont know about other parts of the country but when I went to a Panda Express to buy MIss Lori some lunch big poster for hiring
    15.50 an hour for basic server 16.50 hour for cook..    

    Probably not going to change much until feds wean people off of stim money.

    I live in chicken processing country. 9 billion pounds of chicken come from America. The plant in town supplies 1 million pounds every Wednesday to Russia and on Friday the same to China. The rest go to us. They are paying 17.50 an hour PLUS a 1650 sign on bonus. Just show up and work for a few weeks and earn 1650 dollars plus wages. This is only one plant out of 4. I have friends that work at this plant so I have inside info. In a hundred mile radius there are 20 plants. Tyson, Pilgrims Pride and others too. All hurting for work. 

    It was 16.50 last month and no sign on bonus. I will keep you posted on what it is next month. 

    17.50 + $1650 dollars for plucking chickens and no one wants to work. Like a Bruce Springsteen song. 57 plants there is nothing on. 

    To be fair, though those plants are horrible places to work.  And very high risk for injury or illness.  those companies treat the plant workers like expendable little pieces in the machine, the conditions are brutal, and those plants were all super spreaders at one point

    I don't understand that statement really because there are few accidents in my whole life of living here. But be that as it may, before the Pandemic, they were paying 12 dollars and had plenty of workers. I for one appreciate the the ones that work there because I like my BBQ chicken. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Brad Hammond:

    Hey @Jay Hinrichs, I saw McMenamins is offering a $1000 signing bonus for cooks!  

    Big political battle to raise minimum wage .. then they do it and now still cant get people.

    I must have missed that. I know Biden raised the minimum wage for government employees (and employees of government contractors?). I wasn't aware that Congress had raised it for everyone.

    The $300/wk stimulus is $7.50/hr for 40 hours. Still (the old) minimum wage. Add in the individual unemployment compensation and it's still not up to $15/hr. Per-child stimulus may put it over the top, though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.