How are u collecting rent?

How are u collecting rent?

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 4 votes

HI i am a new real-estate investor and have 4 units currently. I have been using zillow to list my properties and manage them. i am just looking to be more efficient with rent collection and help stay more organized. thanks  

3Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Troy · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 271 votes
5y

I give my tenants 3 ways to pay:

1. Go to my bank and make direct deposit into my business account.

2. $Cashapp

3. Zelle quickpay

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Roy Meyer

    Check/Money Order in the mail, Venmo (since there are no fees like CashApp), or tenant can go to my bank and deposit into account directly.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Roy Meyer we don't use Zillow to manage, how do they handle this?  What part of it doesn't work for you

    ??

  • Rental Property Investor · Troy · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 271 votes
    5y

    I give my tenants 3 ways to pay:

    1. Go to my bank and make direct deposit into my business account.

    2. $Cashapp

    3. Zelle quickpay

  • Rental Property Investor · Troy · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 271 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Roy Meyer

    Check/Money Order in the mail, Venmo (since there are no fees like CashApp), or tenant can go to my bank and deposit into account directly.

    Cashapp has fees?  My tenants have always paid via cashapp and they tell me it's free to use and I certainly don't pay any fee at all.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Most direct deposit into our bank account which is our preferred method. Some pay via Venmo by their preference. Our local bank has interactive tellers which are open 13 hours per day seven days a week so it's easy to get there and make the deposit.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Most of my tenants don't even have bank accounts. They mail me money orders.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Roy Meyer My tenants either mail me personal checks, provide bank checks, or use Venmo. If someone bounced a personal check I wouldn’t let them use that method again but so far so good.

    I’m buying a building now in a town with my personal bank and if those tenants wanted to make direct deposits I’d set that up too.

  • Mays Landing, NJ · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Roy Meyer

    south jersey roy?

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Lam N.

    It's free for them to use, but charges the landlord a fee. Not sure if it's because I have a business account.

  • Rental Property Investor · Troy · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 271 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Lam N.

    It's free for them to use, but charges the landlord a fee. Not sure if it's because I have a business account.

    Oh, I just use my personal account.  My operation is not big enough to be nitpicky about that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Lam N.

    Gotcha. Just keep it in mind if you start an LLC

  • Rental Property Investor · Troy · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 271 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Lam N.

    Gotcha. Just keep it in mind if you start an LLC

     I do have an llc.  All my properties are owned by the llc.  

    Like a lot of small businesses, it doesn't really matter.  Yes, technically I'm suppose to pay a team of accountants millions of dollars to manage my small-*** business, a team of super duper lawyers to watch over my shoulders, and bow down to the almighty IRS and pray to it every morning.  But like I said, smaller operations like mine don't need to be so formal.  I don't need to hire Trump's lawyer and pay him $10K/hour to do an eviction.

    Just saying.  When I get bigger, then I'll start worrying about all this stuff.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Lam N.

    Good lord man, relax I wasn't trying to imply anything. Also, I don't have a Trump sized business either. That said, if you have an LLC, your rents for the properties in the LLC should go directly into your LLC bank account..not your personal account or you could possibly "pierce the corporate veil"...which means if your business gets sued they can come after you personally.

    Just trying to help, but obviously I failed at it lol

  • Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    @Eric James This is interesting. How good are their credit scores if they don’t have bank accounts ? Just curious.

  • Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    check or money order. If you are having an issue and need to evict for non payment and the Tennent sends any amount through Venmo, it looks as if you accepted a partial payment and you will have to start the eviction process over again.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Tracy, CA · Member since 2008 · 32 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @CJ M.

    Correct, the fee being charged is because you are using a business account. A quick conversation with cashapp support can fix that if desired.

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Dan Palumbo

    Oh, that's good to know! Thank you!

  • Bruno NunesPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pompton Plains, NJ · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    I use Apartments.com to manage all my leases and rent payments. Its easy to manage as you scale, looks more professional than having your tenants pay you through Venmo, Cash App or Zelle and its free. The only down side is that its not instant like the other names. It may take a few business days to process the payments depending on your tenants bank. 

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    I used Cozy Co but now it has been changed to apartment.com. Very easy to setup and it’s free.

  • Little Falls, NJ · Member since 2014 · 87 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    @Roy Meyer

    I use RentRedi. It’s cheap, intuitive, and ideal for smaller portfolios. DM me for a free month :)

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    5y

    @Roy Meyer

    Venmo or cash app

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sam Albury:

    @Eric James This is interesting. How good are their credit scores if they don’t have bank accounts ? Just curious.

     My cutoff credit score is 500 (pretty low). Most tenants are in the 500s, a few above 600. People who rent in my area because there is no way they could purchase a home.

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2020 · 433 posts · 284 votes
    5y

    @Eric James

    apartments.com, which used to be Cozy.com

    Is easy to use easy to manage, and tenants can deposit directly from the bank account to yours with no fees. As stated before there is a couple days lag time but other than that it’s an easy to use pain free program. Best of luck

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Roy Meyer Apple Pay. So far so good

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 346 posts · 170 votes
    5y

    @Roy Meyer

    Deposit to business account

    Zelle or Venmo

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.