User Stats

Votes
Jennifer A.
Votes |
Cash 4 Keys only option, not able to evict in CA

Jennifer A.
Posted Jul 23 2021, 10:04

Hi BP,

I'm in the process of purchasing a duplex in LA.  The owner passed and left the house to her 95 year old sister, who is selling it.  The front unit is empty, but the back unit has been occupied by a couple and their mother for 10+ years.  They pay a ridiculous $650 in rent.  I opened conversations of what's to come - complete renovation of both units, including foundation repair on the front.  I asked them what they were thinking about a relocation fee and they came back to me with $50K.  I told them that was about of my budget and I was looking more at $15K.  They took a few days to think about it and said they could do $40K.  Needless to say, I think this amount is insane.  

Based on a conversation with LA County Consumer & Business Affairs, I was under the impression they qualified for relocation assistance amounts under the guidelines they set.  After speaking with LA County Housing & Community Investment Dept, they said that's not the case.  That only applies if I evict the tenant, which based on my reason (renovation), I cannot evict.  

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Is it true I can't evict (putting aside eviction moratorium)? It seems crazy that a tenant can just stay in the house if a landlord wants to renovate and will only leave if they're given a ridiculous amount of money.  Any insight would be helpful, even if it's to contact a lawyer.  With that being said, if we can't come to an agreement, I'm ready to cut my losses and walk - I won't be giving this tenant $50K.  Thanks!

Loading replies...