Self reported income from prospective tenant!

6 Replies

Hello,

A prospective tenant self reported income in Zillow rental manager that's 3x times more than rent. Can I ask for past w_2s and paystubs including a copy of driver's license?

Appreciate your inputs

Thanks

@Peter Morgan  Be thorough. I can't take Zillow seriously when it comes to reporting and screening; even the Background checks are mostly self reported. I use my own application and very few are invited to complete it. We do final credit and background check through Wa LL Association.

Yes, you can ask for all of that.  Should be part of your normal process for self employed people.  part of the qualifications process and documents you have, selection criteria etc.  For self employed people asking for the previous years taxes is also a good idea 

Originally posted by @Peter Morgan :

A prospective tenant self reported income in Zillow rental manager that's 3x times more than rent. Can I ask for past w_2s and paystubs including a copy of driver's license?

Absolutely! Your application should require them to provide "verifiable income" and not just stated. What's the difference? Many people take payments in cash (waitress, handyman, stripper) and never report that income to the IRS because they don't want to pay taxes. If the money is "under the table" then it can't be verified and wouldn't count towards their qualifying income.

You should always require a government-issued photo ID to verify their identity.