There still doesn't seem to be a good flooring for rentals

There still doesn't seem to be a good flooring for rentals

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes

... except ceramic or porcelain tile.

I've been researching what to replace the remaining bedroom carpet with, and I've been looking for an alternative to labor-intensive ceramic tile.

This property has a concrete slab.

The most common complaints I have seen for luxury vinyl plank are splitting seams. Split seams trap dirt. 

So you have 2 problems with vinyl plank... lighter colors hide scratches, but if you have a split seam, the gap and dirt are very noticeable.

If you have vinyl plank, especially the solid core vinyl planks, in your rentals.... how have they held up over the years ??

1Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 601 posts · 384 votes
5y

You're buying the junk vinyl plank. If it's less than $3/sqft it will be junk. Lifeproof, ridged core, waterproof. Do not buy anything with any type of wood in them. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 601 posts · 384 votes
    5y

    You're buying the junk vinyl plank. If it's less than $3/sqft it will be junk. Lifeproof, ridged core, waterproof. Do not buy anything with any type of wood in them. 

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I love putting tile on concrete slab. It lasts a looooong time. 

  • Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    Lifeproof is the only vinyl plank I use, have it in several places, and has held up well. Make sure to take your time and seat the planks properly. Vinyl plank is one of those products where you get what you pay for.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Mike Franco It is all about a good install. 

  • Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Ronald Staruvsnak where have you found the best vinyl flooring?   Other than Hdepot or Lowes?

  • Member since 2020 · 404 posts · 235 votes
    5y

    I had bad luck with lifeproof LVP. Installer started installing and said you can see the lines in between them. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time but he said it will be more noticeable over time. In any case i returned it and went with costco golden arowana LVP which was actually lower price than lifeproof and had 20 mil wear layer and the installer said it was the best lvp he ever installed and called it commercial grade.  In terms of lvp the wear layer matters most and lifeproof highest i see is 12 mil for wear layer.  If you got costo membership they go on sale regulary and it superior to lifeproof.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Ceramic tile, LVP or LVT, have not had the issues you have brought up maybe you are using the thin cheap stuff?  Get the thicker mil and that stuff is rock solid.  

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Starusnak:

    You're buying the junk vinyl plank. If it's less than $3/sqft it will be junk. Lifeproof, ridged core, waterproof. Do not buy anything with any type of wood in them. 

     funny, lifeproof is exactly the stuff that I've seen complaints about splitting seams

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David P.:

    I had bad luck with lifeproof LVP. Installer started installing and said you can see the lines in between them. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time but he said it will be more noticeable over time. In any case i returned it and went with costco golden arowana LVP which was actually lower price than lifeproof and had 20 mil wear layer and the installer said it was the best lvp he ever installed and called it commercial grade.  In terms of lvp the wear layer matters most and lifeproof highest i see is 12 mil for wear layer.  If you got costo membership they go on sale regulary and it superior to lifeproof.

    wear layer doesn't matter if the planks separate at the seams. 

    I want something 99% maintenance free.  

    separating seams sound like a huge headache.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/84/topics/704056-vinyl-plank-flooring-is-separating

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Mike Franco I have been wondering the same thing lately. I used LVP in a rental about 4 years ago. It was from a flooring store and seemed like great quality. I just turned the property after 4 years and the flooring has a couple pieces where the top layer has started to peel up. The floor has not separated any just the peeling. I tried glueing it back down but not sure how well that worked. Eventually it will need to be replaced. What is a tenant proof flooring option? I’m always afraid someone will drop something on tile and break one.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    20 mm layer and professional install with leveling subfloor. Fundamentally different from a DIY job with cheap stuff, mismatched glue and non expert install.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 2 votes
    5y

    Look into epoxy. It can be beautiful and lasts pretty much forever. I would think it would be perfect over cement.

  • Member since 2020 · 983 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I installed ceramic time in almost 100 units in California and I has some serious problems with cracks. I used different contractors for the installations and in some apartments all the tiles got loose. Ceramic tile is no good for 2nd floor units because when tenants move a chair during the night the noise bothers the tenants below.

    Strangely, every home I owned in Las Vegas had ceramic tile in kitchens and when I cleaned the tile almost every house has zero chips and zero cracks. I don't understand why the tile in Las Vegas is so much better than in my properties in California.

    I went into a new medical building a few weeks ago and the entire building has some sort of vinyl with a wood design and the stuff looks beautiful and really tuff. I think that is what I will look for for my next rental unit.

    I just remodeled an apartment that had all laminate floors. The tenant had a dog and the dog must have had urinated in on every floors consistently. The urine went through the seams in the laminate and even after we removed all the laminate floors we had to seal the sub floor with an alcohol base paint to eliminate the horrible odor. I was in a rush, could not make up my mind and installed carpets.

  • Contractor · Grand Marais, MN · Member since 2016 · 249 posts · 417 votes
    5y

    @David Pai your installer did it wrong. There is no visible line in Lifeproof. Each piece needs to be set correctly.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mike Franco:

    ... except ceramic or porcelain tile.

    I've been researching what to replace the remaining bedroom carpet with, and I've been looking for an alternative to labor-intensive ceramic tile.

    This property has a concrete slab.

    The most common complaints I have seen for luxury vinyl plank are splitting seams. Split seams trap dirt. 

    So you have 2 problems with vinyl plank... lighter colors hide scratches, but if you have a split seam, the gap and dirt are very noticeable.

    If you have vinyl plank, especially the solid core vinyl planks, in your rentals.... how have they held up over the years ??

     Mine have held up spectacularly. I use the Smartcore flooring, but not the one made for Lowe's - the thicker plank with the better wear layer and underlayment attached.

    If your seams separate, there's only 3 reasons: defective product, improper installation, or too much floor deflection. #1 should be obvious to the installer, as the edges should lock securely and without major persuasion. #2 means the installer probably didn't lock the edges properly or left too much gap on the sides where the planks can slide (should be 1/4" each side). #3 is most likely, from a floor that is too uneven or doesn't have enough subfloor support. If the floor deflects too much, the seams are going to unlock or break. Again, should have been obvious to the installer.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Chanelle ClarkPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · OC/LA, CA · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    @Mike Franco

    Have you considered doing an epoxy finish for more of a modern feel? Since you have a concrete slab that is an option.

    I installed life proof flooring that is a lighter looking wood and haven’t had any issues with it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
    5y

    @Mike Franco also consider acid stained concrete for durability

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    You get what you pay for. I have vinyl plank in my personal house that looks brand new despite three teens (dozens of their friends), two dogs, etc.

    Another option is tile. I'm not a fan of tile in a bedroom, but it will last a long time if installed correctly.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I've used Lifeproof and it was fine. Though my favorite is Armstrong Luxury Vinyl Vivero Better. 

    I watched my handyman drag a gas range across that stuff and there was zero damage.

    There was also no gaps in either product - and it looks great and more importantly tenants love it!

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    5y

    @Mike Franco

    I have bought quite a bit of vinyl flooring. Originally, I bought less expensive planks and an upgraded underlayment. Sadly, thia caused the planks seams to split apart. Ended up replacing 2 year old flooring with much more expensive vinyl planks which seem to be doing better.

  • Property Manager · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 601 posts · 384 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David P.:

    I had bad luck with lifeproof LVP. Installer started installing and said you can see the lines in between them. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time but he said it will be more noticeable over time. In any case i returned it and went with costco golden arowana LVP which was actually lower price than lifeproof and had 20 mil wear layer and the installer said it was the best lvp he ever installed and called it commercial grade.  In terms of lvp the wear layer matters most and lifeproof highest i see is 12 mil for wear layer.  If you got costo membership they go on sale regulary and it superior to lifeproof.

     I have used both and the costco flooring is not commercial quality and it is not better than the regular life proof. You will see the seams in the LVP flooring, that is normal. It is not intended to appear seamless. 

  • Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Mike Franco

    Glue down vinyl planks on a slab, $1 per sq foot for the product. Easy replacement if one gets damaged

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 9 votes
    5y
    Sweep, scrub, and mop floor.
    Put on 4 coats of Home Depot Behr Premium Wet-Look Sealer $31.98 per gallon in Atlanta

  • Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 62 votes
    5y

    @Mike Franco

    We have used both Lifeproof and Coretec LVP for our rentals. Both holding up with no problems at all. No seams visible. Proper installation is the key.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    5y

    @Mike Franco We used casa moderna vinyl planks first time. floor n decor. Still looks great after 7 years. It is the "cheap" stuff, maybe 2.5-3 mm, but click lock, floating. Over a cement slab. Difficult to install vs laminate.

    Last time used lifeproof. Easier install as rigid like laminate but really had to pound it in. Yes, wear layer is important but also the quality of the wear layer. 22mil vinyl vs something much thinner but with aluminum oxide or whatever makes it super hard. Don't know but lifeproof seems harder than the neucore? from floor n decor with a 22mil wear layer.

    Installing 79 cent laminate in a sunken living room this week. The rest of the house is 10 year old home legends hd laminate that I spent under a dollar a foot for. Held up great except some slight peaking in kitchen and dented under refrigerator. We siliconed the quarter round around the cabinets and that may have helped.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.