Texas Landlord Forms.....Help!

9 Replies

Hi everyone! We are getting our forms together for our rental property. I am a Realtor in Texas, so I have access to all of the Texas Association of Realtor forms. I know that BiggerPockets has state approved landlord forms. I actually think that the value is there to get 8 forms for $99. My question is, has anyone in Texas purchased the forms from BiggerPockets? Used them? Are you happy with the forms? How do they vary from the forms I can get from TAR? 

Thanks! 

HI @Carly DuCharme I can't speak for Texas, but I've used the BP forms they provide for OH on my own and my clients rentals.  They have been super helpful so far.  Depending on the requirements of the property or the client usually some minor tweaking is needed, but overall I've been extremely impressed with them.  

Originally posted by @Carly DuCharme :

Hi everyone! We are getting our forms together for our rental property. I am a Realtor in Texas, so I have access to all of the Texas Association of Realtor forms. I know that BiggerPockets has state approved landlord forms. I actually think that the value is there to get 8 forms for $99. My question is, has anyone in Texas purchased the forms from BiggerPockets? Used them? Are you happy with the forms? How do they vary from the forms I can get from TAR? 

Thanks! 

I have used them for ARK. They are great. We modified them a little too suit us with the help of a lawyer. It was easy. 

"State approved"? Like the state of TX approved them, lol. You want forms that have been vetted for years, and continue to be vetted, by legal professionals. Hint:that ain't BP forms. 

@Carly DuCharme    If you're a realtor and have access to the TAR forms, use them.  Probably equal are the TAA forms.   Hopefully you never have a legal problem but if you do most real estate attorneys and JPs should be familiar with these forms.  When you go with something new and/or different that may cost you more money in the long run, when your attorney has to learn your new forms at your expense.

The TAR forms and addendum cover just about everything under the sun, including pets, bedbugs, and plenty of other issues.

They should be free or near free for you to use, easy to fill out in the TexasRealtors application, etc.  

Never seen the BP forms, but you have very smart and experienced people...brokers and lawyers that know real estate backwards and forwards continually looking at and updating the TAR forms as things change.

The best question to ask those who have used forms you are considering buying is how well the protected you when problems occur.  I am a fan of getting forms from an experienced RE attorney specializing in landlord tenant law vs more generic ones online.  Those forms will have been created, added to, changed, modified 100 times by the time you buy them by the people who have had to go to court with those forms.

I don't think this is a place to cheap out, it is truly part of the investment part of real estate investment.  

As a Realtor you are totally overthinking this.  The TAR(Texas *** of Realtors) forms are the most recognized and are thorough.  You will be fine and you can use Zipforms to have them sign digitally

@Scott M I am not looking to cheap out. I get the TAR forms for free. @Greg H. I am not overthinking it. I am asking the community their thoughts. That is what the forum is for. 

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I believe I have my answer.

The BiggerPockets Landlord Package is built by investors and reviewed/approved by a Texas attorney. However, the TAR forms have been used by thousands of property managers in Texas and tried in the Texas court many, many times. Therefore, they are the more reliable product.