General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Jordan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
Requiring application before showing? 2 part application fee?

Jonathan Jordan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Posted Oct 20 2021, 20:43

Hello all,

The below questions come from a landlord friend of mine I help out on occasion:

Wondering if anyone out there requires paid (I use aparments.com) applications to be submitted before showings? With the plethora of pictures you are able to post online, virtual walkthroughs potentially available, etc, the idea hit me as a way to potentially eliminate people not showing up for scheduled showings. 

Speaking of applications, how much do you charge for an application fee? Of course using apartments.com it collects the $29.99 +tax directly from the applicant. Looking in my area it seems a lot of companies charge between $50-75 (the state has no cap on fees). I would like to be able to pay an assistant to call and check references, work history, etc. so have thought about potentially charging a second fee after they see the property which would go to the assistant to make calls. In my head this seems like it could logistically be problematic as they would be paying a fee with no new information as in theory all the information was submitted in the apartments.com application. So would be going to them and saying, "You have seen the property, I now need a second fee to finish checking your application if you are still interested"

Thank you all for your help!

Loading replies...