Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Dave E.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Property Manager Wants Me To Call Tenant?

Dave E.
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Oct 24 2021, 16:02

I have a tenant that has struggled a bit over the last year, but has received some government assistance, or otherwise caught up on their own. All things considered I consider it a win compared to some of the stories that I have heard.

I changed PM companies, because my last company was just not managing things well or communicating. My new company really seems to be on top of things and has been sending proper notices etc when the tenant is late. The tenant recently received a 3 day notice, and is requesting to speak to the owner of the property.

Curious what others think about that? Part of why I have a PM is so that I don’t have to deal directly with tenants. I’m not going to tell them anything different.

User Stats

Votes
Kushaal Malde
  • Lender
  • Redwood City, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Redwood City, CA
Replied Oct 24 2021, 16:54

Let management do what they are paid to do...get to know, trust and like your PMs...unless you want to be in the business of managing. 

User Stats

Votes
Julie Hartman
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Replied Oct 24 2021, 17:26

@Dave E. That is highly unusual and I would not agree to it. The tenant thinks they can circumvent the PM and talk you into working with them on the rent due. The PM needs to handle this which is what you are paying them to do. We never connect owners and tenants unless the request comes from the owner and even then we strongly discourage it. Once a tenant has an owners contact information, it cannot be undone. 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Sherry McQuage
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Moore County, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Moore County, NC
Replied Oct 24 2021, 17:48

Yes, let the PM deal directly with the tenant.  This is a business, not a "warm, fuzzy, pull your heart strings" relationship....the PM keeps it professional and not emotionally charged.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Oct 24 2021, 18:32

I'd tell them to pass the message on to the PM.  Unless there is a problem with the PM (ie tenant has requested repairs and they are not being done), not sure why they'd want to talk to you.

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Oct 24 2021, 18:45

The one of the reasons of having a PM is to keep out of the drama as much as possible.

User Stats

Votes
Dave E.
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Oct 24 2021, 19:12

Thanks for the responses everyone. I thought it was unusual myself for them to even ask.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 25 2021, 05:04

The ONLY reason the tenant wants to talk to you? They believe you'll be easier to convince of their sob story and side with them.

You hired a PM for a reason. Stick with it and politely decline the request. Have your PM tell them you're a very busy person and hired the PM to make these decisions for you.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Myrtle C Antao
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 25 2021, 06:14

@Nathan G.

Yes. Property Manager’s usually like to deal with the tenants themselves.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal#5 Starting Out Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Oct 25 2021, 09:01

I would let the PM handle the situation. You shouldn’t be involved unless the request is coming from you.  

User Stats

Votes
Parmesh P.
Pro Member
  • NYC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • NYC
Replied Jan 5 2023, 19:56

Hi Dave, all the replies are on target. Never bypass your property manager and speak directly with your tenants. This will diminish the ability of your property manager to manage. You can create a form that that tenants can use only in event that the PM did not address an issue that needs immediate attention.  This can go directly to you and the PM.