How to pick short term rental market?

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Flowery Branch, GA · Member since 2019 · 413 posts · 412 votes
4y

1. Where do you like to vacation?

2. Do the numbers make sense?

3. Can I afford the area plus have comfortable reserves.

4. Buy it

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    In my market of Columbus, Ohio, the areas that do the best are close to downtown, the Ohio State University and High Street which is where the majority of the retail shopping and dining are. It is a good idea to target tenants that are young professionals, traveling nurses, traveling business people and various other professions. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Stewartsville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 418 posts · 280 votes
    4y

    @Julio Chacon Jr

    We choose vacation markets, and then pick the areas that we like to personally vacation at ourselves to take advantage of function stacking.  Function stacking is a term I'm borrowing from the permaculture world where it means one thing can serve multiple purposes.

    This way while we are visiting the area, learning which neighborhoods we like, don't like, doing research, etc. we are also spending time in a place we genuinely want to spend time in anyway.   Then if we do end up buying in this market, when we visit these homes to do maintenace in the future, we are again spending time in a place we genuinely like to visit.   And for the worst case if we decide not to buy in that market, we also spent time in a place we enjoyed anyway PLUS you would have gained some experience when interacting with locals, realtors, and other folks which will set you up for your next market you are interested in.

    Hope that helps.

    Mike

  • Investor · Flowery Branch, GA · Member since 2019 · 413 posts · 412 votes
    4y

    1. Where do you like to vacation?

    2. Do the numbers make sense?

    3. Can I afford the area plus have comfortable reserves.

    4. Buy it

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    As others have said, someplace you like to vacation.

    For me I started with a nearby lake house that is also close to a major university.  That way I have multiple reasons for people to visit the area.

    Great locations:

    On water, ocean, lake, river

    In the mountains 

    Close to amusement parks such as Disney. 

    These are just some of many locations that people frequent with their family for a vacation.

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Julio Chacon Jr:

    Very interested in short term rentals/ air bnb! How did you decide what markets are good or not? Tip and personal experiences appreciated!

    You can make STR's work in many areas. In Columbus, OH I manage a large quantity of units and they do great for me/my owners. Some people prefer more vacation oriented spots and make the numbers work for them there too. I would just recommend to choose a market in which there are a few property managers to choose from who can manage your unit for you.
    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    I started doing airbnb in my 4 units that I house hacked in Columbus, Ohio. They make more money than my long-term rentals.
  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Thank you all for sure very helpful!
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2020 · 285 posts · 318 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joshua Strickland:

    1. Where do you like to vacation?

    2. Do the numbers make sense?

    3. Can I afford the area plus have comfortable reserves.

    4. Buy it

    Everything @Joshua Strickland said, and I'd add the following question: "Are regulations favorable for non-owner occupied STRs?" If they're not, the other questions all become irrelevant.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 98 posts · 101 votes
    4y

    @Julio Chacon Jr STR's are by far my favorite strategy to scale. Everyone does flipping and long term rentals. Yes those are great exit's to scale but I find I can be more creative and unique when it comes to STR's. Every market has Pros/Cons. As far as Columbus Ohio goes, it is scalable due to the growth going on right now with Intel coming in, Nationwide Children's, and obviously campus. Super good strategy but for me I like to stay near Jacksonville, FL or even St. Louis, Missouri due to tourism. Outsourcing your management is also a nice little trick when looking to scale your STR portfolio. Happy Investing!

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Clay Boykin:

    @Julio Chacon Jr STR's are by far my favorite strategy to scale. Everyone does flipping and long term rentals. Yes those are great exit's to scale but I find I can be more creative and unique when it comes to STR's. Every market has Pros/Cons. As far as Columbus Ohio goes, it is scalable due to the growth going on right now with Intel coming in, Nationwide Children's, and obviously campus. Super good strategy but for me I like to stay near Jacksonville, FL or even St. Louis, Missouri due to tourism. Outsourcing your management is also a nice little trick when looking to scale your STR portfolio. Happy Investing!

    Thank you for the great info. Recently been looking into Florida as well for same reasons tourism. My concern would be keeping the home occupied with so many other STR in the area. Have you found this to be an issue at times as well? 
  • Real Estate Consultant · Glendora, CA · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 95 votes
    4y

    @Clay Boykin I have been researching STR in St. Louis. I have heard mixed reviews, but as you know, with anything new, people are biased.

    What areas are you bullish on?

    Thanks

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Julio Chacon Jr 
    Columbus OH is a great market for short-term rentals with things like OSU (football and the college itself), traveling nurses over at children's hospital, and the Blue Jackets. On top of what I already mentioned, cities that have large population growth and job opportunities are good fits as long as you are buying in the right location because the demand will only increase as the city grows. 

  • Realtor · Branson, MO · Member since 2018 · 272 posts · 283 votes
    4y

    Ask a few questions:

    Is it regulated or illegal? 
    Do people go here through the course of the year or is it seasonal?
    Is it expensive to buy there?
    Are there other people doing it in this area? Yes, is it saturated? No, Is it a bad area? 
    Is everyone else on Bigger Pockets trying to buy there which is pushing prices into ridiculously overpriced territory?  

  • Kimberly SutorPro Member
    Investor · Galesburg IL · Member since 2022 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    I'm just starting to look at St Louis for STR, but am finding downtown properties (I was especially interested in a loft unit) are not STR-friendly…unless you own the entire building. We live about 3 hrs NE in IL, and know STL to be a very popular destination for families, Cardinal fans, etc. I personally prefer Chicago, as I lived in the Burbs up there for over 15 years, but I'm learning to like St Louis, too….plus it's a great spot for us to meet up with friends who recently moved 4 hrs south of us. I figure I might as well begin investing in an area I want to spend time in myself, right?

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Julio Chacon Jr - So far we are just working close to home in Chicago.  I think you can be successful in any market if you build the right team.  With Airbnb a solid cleaner that will do all linens is most important!

    We are under contract now for another AirBnB in Chicago.  We specifically look for buildings that have HOAs that allow AirBnBs because not many do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.