Professional Pictures Debate

Professional Pictures Debate

Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 4 votes

I'm about to list my first STR in the KCMO market and am going back and forth on whether or not I should get professional pictures. All of the books I've read on STRs say to spend the money, and that it'll be a huge difference maker for bookings. I've also heard the argument that if expectations from great pictures don't meet reality, guests will be disappointed from the get-go. While it has plenty of charm, the home is nearly 100 years old. Another side note is that my fiance is an Art Director and has a knack for photography, just not necessarily real estate specific.

Any advice before I drop $500 on a pro?

2Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Bonnie LowPro Member
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

Here's a different point of view through the eyes of a guest. I can tell when someone is not using professional photos in their listing. The first thing that comes to mind is that the host is cheap and therefore their furnishings will be, too, and their attention to detail will be lacking. Nothing worse than staying at a place where the host leaves one roll of 1-ply toilet paper in each bathroom, 1 dishwasher pod, and bought the value mattresses from Big Lots. That's what I think when I see poor quality photos. The few times I've broken my own rules and rented such a place, it's played out exactly like that. You'll have no regrets spending the $500 on pro photos and possibly a lot of regrets if you don't. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Staunton, VA · Member since 2019 · 194 posts · 216 votes
    4y

    YES hire the pro.  You'll lose much more than $500 in bookings if you don't.  Your fiance can snap some artsy photos around the property that you can mix in.  But you need professional, well-lit photos from the right angles showing each room.  If you're photographing your property in its as-in, staged condition, there's no reason the photos shouldn't match the reality as long as you're keeping up with the housekeeping and maintenance. 

  • Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Thank you!

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    100% book the pro. A professional's job is not to make the unit look better than it really is. Find someone experienced in real estate photography who knows how to walk the line between professional but realistic photos.

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    100% agree with the above folks! Booking a professional means they know how to showcase a property and take well lit photos while also not making it look nicer than it really is. I think you do get into that realm when you virtually stage a unit. Just ensure the property is clean, well-maintained, staged how it will be in reality and properly lit. By all means, hire a professional photographer. Think of it as an investment instead of just an expense.
  • Member since 2021 · 167 posts · 141 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ryan Schildroth:

    I'm about to list my first STR in the KCMO market and am going back and forth on whether or not I should get professional pictures. All of the books I've read on STRs say to spend the money, and that it'll be a huge difference maker for bookings. I've also heard the argument that if expectations from great pictures don't meet reality, guests will be disappointed from the get-go. While it has plenty of charm, the home is nearly 100 years old. Another side note is that my fiance is an Art Director and has a knack for photography, just not necessarily real estate specific.

    Any advice before I drop $500 on a pro?


    If you don't want to spend the cash. Either buy a "decent" DSCR camera or ask a local photo student to take pictures with different exposures. From there, you'll upload the actual photos to fivver and pay around $1 an image to get it layered and edited. Editing is what takes the most time and a lots of freelancers on fivver do it for very cheap and the layers merge the different exposures so you can clearly see all aspects. If you have multiple properties, I'd also recommend a 360 camera($250ish) for a Matter report. Marketing is everything.

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Here's a different point of view through the eyes of a guest. I can tell when someone is not using professional photos in their listing. The first thing that comes to mind is that the host is cheap and therefore their furnishings will be, too, and their attention to detail will be lacking. Nothing worse than staying at a place where the host leaves one roll of 1-ply toilet paper in each bathroom, 1 dishwasher pod, and bought the value mattresses from Big Lots. That's what I think when I see poor quality photos. The few times I've broken my own rules and rented such a place, it's played out exactly like that. You'll have no regrets spending the $500 on pro photos and possibly a lot of regrets if you don't. Good luck!

  • Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Thank you for all the responses, and reassuring my direction. 

    One other question regarding listing though: do y'all think it's good to get the listing up on AirBnB ASAP either with some sneak peak photos or a "Coming Soon" photo, and then blocking off the next 10-14 days to finish the final touches? Or wait until the place is completely ready for pro photos and list after with a wide open calendar?

  • Real Estate Broker · Staunton, VA · Member since 2019 · 194 posts · 216 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ryan Schildroth:

    Thank you for all the responses, and reassuring my direction. 

    One other question regarding listing though: do y'all think it's good to get the listing up on AirBnB ASAP either with some sneak peak photos or a "Coming Soon" photo, and then blocking off the next 10-14 days to finish the final touches? Or wait until the place is completely ready for pro photos and list after with a wide open calendar?


     Option B 100%.  Wait until you're totally ready, then launch.  You'll get bookings, don't worry.

  • Member since 2021 · 167 posts · 141 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ryan Schildroth:

    Thank you for all the responses, and reassuring my direction. 

    One other question regarding listing though: do y'all think it's good to get the listing up on AirBnB ASAP either with some sneak peak photos or a "Coming Soon" photo, and then blocking off the next 10-14 days to finish the final touches? Or wait until the place is completely ready for pro photos and list after with a wide open calendar?

     Depends on your location. I listed my cabin with one image followed by coming soon images and was transparent in the listing. I received lots of future bookings with no issues. 

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    You can not possibly spend too much on pro photos 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Spend the money! You'll make that back in what, one weekend? The biggest no brainer ever! :-)

  • Realtor · Northampton, MA · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 33 votes
    4y

    The reason you want to wait is you want to book responsible guests.  Responsible guests will not book a place that has limited photos. You really do not want to ‘go live’ until you are ready to host guests.  We bought a beach property in May and I still cannot believe that we were fully booked that first summer.  Nice properties book quickly.  Also the platforms boost new properties to increase their visibility on the site.  Good luck!

  • Member since 2021 · 167 posts · 141 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Rhonda Cohen:

    The reason you want to wait is you want to book responsible guests.  Responsible guests will not book a place that has limited photos. You really do not want to ‘go live’ until you are ready to host guests.  We bought a beach property in May and I still cannot believe that we were fully booked that first summer.  Nice properties book quickly.  Also the platforms boost new properties to increase their visibility on the site.  Good luck!


    The right location has everything to do with it and has nothing to do with the quality of guests. Sure, I’d wait if there is lots of competition and availability in the area but that sounds like a precursor to a deeper issue. You bought it for a reason and I’m guessing that summer is your peak season, so get it active and screen your guests as you typically would and let the bookings begin. Best of luck! 

  • Ryan WilliamsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 98 posts · 219 votes
    4y

    @Ryan Schildroth Like everyone else has said, book the pro photographer and get it totally ready to go before uploading/launching the listing. The platforms (Airbnb/VRBO) boost your listing in the first month it is on the market and depending on the views and booking it gets in the first month sets your "ranking" in the algorithm. You don't want two weeks of that time being "coming soon" with just a couple pics.   Also, back to pictures, I don't think you have to spend $500 on photos unless it's a large luxury style property.  We use one of the larger listing photo companies here in Denver, and they charge about $150 for 25 photos and they are great.  I'm sure KC has something equivalent to that, I hope this is helpful! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 247 votes
    4y
  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 247 votes
    4y

    What is spending the extra $500 in the face of that bringing back thousands extra? This might be the best return on investment that you do for your STR. This is the thing to splurge on.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Idea for you.....We found a good photographer who was willing to trade for a weekend stay with her and another couple. They took pics of another place of ours at the same time. It really made a difference....looking back at the photos I had taken I realized the difference...

  • Real Estate Coach · Boise, ID · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 285 votes
    4y

    If anyone has ever tried online dating, they are used to being underwhelmed by the difference in reality v photos. 100% book a pro.

  • Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 42 votes
    4y

    I've always paid around $200 for awesome real estate photos, maybe shop that $500 price around.

  • Lender · Asheville NC · Member since 2016 · 469 posts · 317 votes
    4y

    You're not gonna sweat the price ince you see the pics and once it starts getting you five times the bookings you'd get otherwise. 

    I've heard the other side of the debate once, and the pro pic side of the debate hundreds of times.

    It's not what something costs, it's your return on the investment.  

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    I guess I am one of the few that didn't do any pro photos. I used a good Sony mirrorless mid range camera with extra lenses. They are not modified in any way. Just straight pics with the best lighting during the magic hour.

    Is that a terrible photo? I don't know but I don't think so. We are booked for the season usually before Feb and are getting plenty of days in the bumper months. Being on the lake in the winter takes someone who really wants to be away. All there is to do is watch the ice floe move back and forth.

    What I didn't want is a high contrast, blown out looks that makes the place look like the sun is actually in the room. They look great, but frankly, they can really polish a turd. The last thing I wanted is people saying, "It isn't as good as it looks in the photo." We have all 5 star reviews for the last 5 years so I think I am on the right track.

    My 2 cents.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    @Michael Baum That is not a horrible photo, but it is obviously not a professional photo and does not do your house justice. Are you losing guests because of your photos? Hard to say, the only way to know would be to get the photos reshot and see if your bookings increase..... I would bet they would...

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    @Michael Baum I forgot to say - I would be happy to rent your place with that picture! But then I am not picky about those things.....

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Bruce Woodruff. You could be right. I have looked into it. I might do it. I just can't imagine anyone staying at our house in the middle of winter. We are not near a ski area and the little town of Harrison is basically shutdown after Oct 1st. Right now we are booked for all summer, most of May. We had 1/2 of April booked which is rare. Sept is 1/2 full and it will fill up during the next couple of months. We will get a week in Oct maybe.

    We have been getting a week for Thanksgiving and a week for Christmas, but that is it. I am not sure professional photos will overcome the 25 degree weather, snow and nothing to do.

    On another note, I have asked a couple of photographers about pics and all of them said that they owned them and not me. Not sure what that is about. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    We have been getting a week for Thanksgiving and a week for Christmas, but that is it. I am not sure professional photos will overcome the 25 degree weather, snow and nothing to do.

    On another note, I have asked a couple of photographers about pics and all of them said that they owned them and not me. Not sure what that is about. 

    Sounds like just the kind of place we'd want to stay!

    And Re who owns the pics, just put in the contract that you have the rights to them Why would any photog want to own pics of a house...?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.