Vacation rental advice in Orlando, Florida

Vacation rental advice in Orlando, Florida

Flipper/Rehabber · IL · Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 49 votes

Hey all-

I am looking at buying a home in Orlando in the neighborhood for 600-800k. I plan to use it as a vacation rental. I've been doing my own research, but I thought id pop a post up on here and see if anyone can provide some feedback in the area.

im looking to hear more about occupancy rates, some daily rates, and fees etc. as well as neighborhoods/ areas. I have been looking in Kissimmee and Championsgate, wondering if anyone has any feedback towards the income side of things.

any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

1Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Caden Wakim:

Hey all-

I am looking at buying a home in Orlando in the neighborhood for 600-800k. I plan to use it as a vacation rental. I've been doing my own research, but I thought id pop a post up on here and see if anyone can provide some feedback in the area.

im looking to hear more about occupancy rates, some daily rates, and fees etc. as well as neighborhoods/ areas. I have been looking in Kissimmee and Championsgate, wondering if anyone has any feedback towards the income side of things.

any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.


 I have a broad statement that you can make money in the Disney area if you're willing to do the work required. You will need to have a minimum five bedroom property that is in a resort style community with a private pool. You will need to have great design throughout the property as well as one to three themed bedrooms. When considering themed bedrooms think crazy custom-made Jumanji bunk beds and not frozen decals and a walmart.com bedspread. Then be sure to use a pricing software or a great property manager and you should turn a profit. In the Disney area with lots of places to choose from getting five star reviews and super host status as quickly as possible is very important in your long-term profitability. The operator is one of the single greatest factors in your profitability for the Disney area. Hire a great operator or become a great operator and you should turn a profit. Many of my operators tell me that larger homes tend to have better cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mark MunsonBusiness Member
    Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2022 · 440 posts · 300 votes
    3y

    Hi @Caden Wakim

         Read through this thread, it should be useful for what you are seeking. I operate a mortgage brokerage in Orlando, we have numerous clients that buy STRs here. Feel free to message me, I'd be happy to give you some feedback on any questions you have. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caden Wakim:

    Hey all-

    I am looking at buying a home in Orlando in the neighborhood for 600-800k. I plan to use it as a vacation rental. I've been doing my own research, but I thought id pop a post up on here and see if anyone can provide some feedback in the area.

    im looking to hear more about occupancy rates, some daily rates, and fees etc. as well as neighborhoods/ areas. I have been looking in Kissimmee and Championsgate, wondering if anyone has any feedback towards the income side of things.

    any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.


     Just some thoughts:

    1 - This is a fiercely competitive area between other STR and hotels.

    2 - I would recommend working with a knowledgeable agent in the area as there are a lot of rules and laws.

    3 - I would recommend professional management; as it is competitive and you will have a slightly higher end/higher end rental with discerning guests.

    4 - ROI may be higher in areas further away (think Polk County/Legoland, Tampa (half way between Clearwater Beach and WDW) and New Smyrna area etc).

    5 - I highly recommend a pool home, preferrably heated.

    There are some others but those are top line thoughts.  Best of luck and feel free to reach out with further questions!

  • Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caden Wakim:

    Hey all-

    I am looking at buying a home in Orlando in the neighborhood for 600-800k. I plan to use it as a vacation rental. I've been doing my own research, but I thought id pop a post up on here and see if anyone can provide some feedback in the area.

    im looking to hear more about occupancy rates, some daily rates, and fees etc. as well as neighborhoods/ areas. I have been looking in Kissimmee and Championsgate, wondering if anyone has any feedback towards the income side of things.

    any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.


     I have a broad statement that you can make money in the Disney area if you're willing to do the work required. You will need to have a minimum five bedroom property that is in a resort style community with a private pool. You will need to have great design throughout the property as well as one to three themed bedrooms. When considering themed bedrooms think crazy custom-made Jumanji bunk beds and not frozen decals and a walmart.com bedspread. Then be sure to use a pricing software or a great property manager and you should turn a profit. In the Disney area with lots of places to choose from getting five star reviews and super host status as quickly as possible is very important in your long-term profitability. The operator is one of the single greatest factors in your profitability for the Disney area. Hire a great operator or become a great operator and you should turn a profit. Many of my operators tell me that larger homes tend to have better cash flow.

  • Flipper · Reno, NV · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    I 2nd everything @Tyler Gibson just wrote with the emphasis on quality Operator - I have a 5/5 in ChampionsGate and what really separates me from others (even better homes) is my agility and quick responses to my guest's needs/issues.  I also visit the property personally twice a year and keep it updated as well as adding NEW to it, for any returning guests.  I would love a 2nd home in that area, but over the past 2 years, it has priced me out. (which isn't a bad thing)

    PM me if you need any specific questions answered.

  • Property Manager · Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 147 posts · 66 votes
    3y

    @Jay Breitlow would be an amazing resource and great person to talk to!

  • Shawn McCormickPro Member
    Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
    3y

    @Caden Wakim

    I'd be happy to have a conversation with you about this, I've helped dozens of investors purchase STR's here and there are too many variables and nuances to go over here without knowing more about you and your criteria and strategy. @Tyler Gibson touched on some great points.

    I can help with the best communities to be in, do's and don'ts with the house and what to look out for. I don't typically get into the specifics of daily rates, fees etc, but can give a 30,000 foot overview of what you can expect based on bedroom count, community, proximity to Disney, theming etc to make sure you don't get lost in the 50,000 rental units here. 

    Hope to hear from you, best of luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · IL · Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 49 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tyler Gibson:
    Quote from @Caden Wakim:

    Hey all-

    I am looking at buying a home in Orlando in the neighborhood for 600-800k. I plan to use it as a vacation rental. I've been doing my own research, but I thought id pop a post up on here and see if anyone can provide some feedback in the area.

    im looking to hear more about occupancy rates, some daily rates, and fees etc. as well as neighborhoods/ areas. I have been looking in Kissimmee and Championsgate, wondering if anyone has any feedback towards the income side of things.

    any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.


     I have a broad statement that you can make money in the Disney area if you're willing to do the work required. You will need to have a minimum five bedroom property that is in a resort style community with a private pool. You will need to have great design throughout the property as well as one to three themed bedrooms. When considering themed bedrooms think crazy custom-made Jumanji bunk beds and not frozen decals and a walmart.com bedspread. Then be sure to use a pricing software or a great property manager and you should turn a profit. In the Disney area with lots of places to choose from getting five star reviews and super host status as quickly as possible is very important in your long-term profitability. The operator is one of the single greatest factors in your profitability for the Disney area. Hire a great operator or become a great operator and you should turn a profit. Many of my operators tell me that larger homes tend to have better cash flow.


     wow... very helpful and I will take all into consideration, I really appreciate the reply. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I would chat with @Shawn McCormick, @Caden Wakim. He knows a ton about the neighborhoods and what works.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · IL · Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 49 votes
    3y

    @Andrew Steffens thank you for the reply! will take into consideration. 100% agree on the pool!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · IL · Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 49 votes
    3y

    @Mark Munson I appreciate your reply! definitely will keep you in mind! thank you!

  • Property Manager · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2019 · 445 posts · 266 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caden Wakim:

    Hey all-

    I am looking at buying a home in Orlando in the neighborhood for 600-800k. I plan to use it as a vacation rental. I've been doing my own research, but I thought id pop a post up on here and see if anyone can provide some feedback in the area.

    im looking to hear more about occupancy rates, some daily rates, and fees etc. as well as neighborhoods/ areas. I have been looking in Kissimmee and Championsgate, wondering if anyone has any feedback towards the income side of things.

    any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

    Good morning Caden! 

    We are property managers with 100+ homes throughout the Disney market. Just like the rest of the US market, supply has gone up in our area. But demand is very strong if you have the RIGHT property. The home must have a WOW factor and be located in the right community with great amenities, in a good location near Disney. We are happy to help with insights on different communities and home types from our management experience, and we can also help by running revenue and occupancy reports on any specific homes you’re considering. Feel free to reach out!

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Munson:

    Hi @Caden Wakim

         Read through this thread, it should be useful for what you are seeking. I operate a mortgage brokerage in Orlando, we have numerous clients that buy STRs here. Feel free to message me, I'd be happy to give you some feedback on any questions you have. 

    May I also reach out? Im also looking for short /midterm play, multifam in 700k range but would like to see how this market is doing first. Thanks!
  • Mark MunsonBusiness Member
    Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2022 · 440 posts · 300 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Quiana Berry:
    Quote from @Mark Munson:

    Hi @Caden Wakim

         Read through this thread, it should be useful for what you are seeking. I operate a mortgage brokerage in Orlando, we have numerous clients that buy STRs here. Feel free to message me, I'd be happy to give you some feedback on any questions you have. 

    May I also reach out? Im also looking for short /midterm play, multifam in 700k range but would like to see how this market is doing first. Thanks!

     Of course, you can message me and we can connect. Happy to help

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.