Real Estate Play Near Mega Infrastructure Project. Need Your Take.

Real Estate Play Near Mega Infrastructure Project. Need Your Take.

Flipper/Rehabber · South Florida · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hey all,

First time poster here. I've been doing Fix and Flips for a few years but might have my first niche rental play and could use some advice. 

I have a single-family home about ½ mile from the site of a massive road infrastructure project that’s scheduled to start in 2026. It’s a 7+ year freeway expansion, merging three major expressways in a tight 5 mile stretch, with multiple funding sources (federal, state, local, and a toll road operator).

The property:

  • 3 bed / 2 bath, ~1,400 sqft
  • 40 ft driveway (could fit a small trailer, tight but doable)
  • Large updated kitchen, large laundry in garage
  • Big fenced backyard
  • 100% turnkey & furnished

The idea:

Instead of selling the property, I’m thinking of offering it as a short or medium-term furnished rental to project management staff, engineers, or specialty contractors who will be in town for months or years at a time. The nearest hotels are about 2–3 miles from the project.

From what I’ve gathered, in large metro projects the core construction labor is usually local, but management and certain specialized crews often come from outside the area and need lodging — especially for multi-year projects. Those folks often want more space, privacy, and amenities than a hotel for long stays.

My current long-term rental (LTR) potential for this property is around $4,000/mo unfurnished without utilities. Short/medium-term furnished rentals could push that number higher, but vacancy risk is obviously greater.

Questions for the group:

  1. Has anyone here rented to infrastructure project crews or management before?
  2. How realistic is it to expect consistent demand from these types of tenants over several years?
  3. Any pitfalls I might be missing (besides the usual short-term rental headaches)?
  4. Would you lock in a corporate lease, or keep it more flexible for turnover?

Looking for any first-hand experiences or advice before I decide whether to pivot from selling to running this as a specialty rental play.

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

You may be onto something here, have you checked Airbnb for any competition? I regularly host construction crews here in Tampa. They can be a little rough but generally worth the "trouble". This has some risk as there is little to no data to rely on, but even if it does not work for you, you can get a small premium for a furnished long term rental or selling furnished as a lot of people relocate to Miami.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    You may be onto something here, have you checked Airbnb for any competition? I regularly host construction crews here in Tampa. They can be a little rough but generally worth the "trouble". This has some risk as there is little to no data to rely on, but even if it does not work for you, you can get a small premium for a furnished long term rental or selling furnished as a lot of people relocate to Miami.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · South Florida · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      You may be onto something here, have you checked Airbnb for any competition? I regularly host construction crews here in Tampa. They can be a little rough but generally worth the "trouble". This has some risk as there is little to no data to rely on, but even if it does not work for you, you can get a small premium for a furnished long term rental or selling furnished as a lot of people relocate to Miami.

      Thanks for the insight. Quick question, did the construction crews/contractors find your property on their own through a listing, or did you reach out to them directly to offer housing?

      Also how did you adjust to the crews being a little rough? 
    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      You may be onto something here, have you checked Airbnb for any competition? I regularly host construction crews here in Tampa. They can be a little rough but generally worth the "trouble". This has some risk as there is little to no data to rely on, but even if it does not work for you, you can get a small premium for a furnished long term rental or selling furnished as a lot of people relocate to Miami.

      Thanks for the insight. Quick question, did the construction crews/contractors find your property on their own through a listing, or did you reach out to them directly to offer housing?

      Also how did you adjust to the crews being a little rough? 

      They found us on Airbnb primarily.  By rough I mean dirty so just extra cleaning 

    • Flipper/Rehabber · South Florida · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      You may be onto something here, have you checked Airbnb for any competition? I regularly host construction crews here in Tampa. They can be a little rough but generally worth the "trouble". This has some risk as there is little to no data to rely on, but even if it does not work for you, you can get a small premium for a furnished long term rental or selling furnished as a lot of people relocate to Miami.

      Thanks for the insight. Quick question, did the construction crews/contractors find your property on their own through a listing, or did you reach out to them directly to offer housing?

      Also how did you adjust to the crews being a little rough? 

      They found us on Airbnb primarily.  By rough I mean dirty so just extra cleaning 


      Thanks for the clarification on the extra cleaning, doesn't sound too bad.

      I'm curious about the booking side for the construction crews. Have you or your team ever tried working directly with contractors or companies instead of going through AirBNB? Or has AirBNB always been the best platform for you? I've identified the prime contractors on the project near me and plan to reach out directly, but I'd be interested to hear if you've had any success, or challenges, going that route. Thanks again.

    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      You may be onto something here, have you checked Airbnb for any competition? I regularly host construction crews here in Tampa. They can be a little rough but generally worth the "trouble". This has some risk as there is little to no data to rely on, but even if it does not work for you, you can get a small premium for a furnished long term rental or selling furnished as a lot of people relocate to Miami.

      Thanks for the insight. Quick question, did the construction crews/contractors find your property on their own through a listing, or did you reach out to them directly to offer housing?

      Also how did you adjust to the crews being a little rough? 

      They found us on Airbnb primarily.  By rough I mean dirty so just extra cleaning 


      Thanks for the clarification on the extra cleaning, doesn't sound too bad.

      I'm curious about the booking side for the construction crews. Have you or your team ever tried working directly with contractors or companies instead of going through AirBNB? Or has AirBNB always been the best platform for you? I've identified the prime contractors on the project near me and plan to reach out directly, but I'd be interested to hear if you've had any success, or challenges, going that route. Thanks again.


       Thats not a bad idea if you know the crews present - Ive always just gotten them from Airbnb

    • Flipper/Rehabber · South Florida · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      You may be onto something here, have you checked Airbnb for any competition? I regularly host construction crews here in Tampa. They can be a little rough but generally worth the "trouble". This has some risk as there is little to no data to rely on, but even if it does not work for you, you can get a small premium for a furnished long term rental or selling furnished as a lot of people relocate to Miami.

      Thanks for the insight. Quick question, did the construction crews/contractors find your property on their own through a listing, or did you reach out to them directly to offer housing?

      Also how did you adjust to the crews being a little rough? 

      They found us on Airbnb primarily.  By rough I mean dirty so just extra cleaning 


      Thanks for the clarification on the extra cleaning, doesn't sound too bad.

      I'm curious about the booking side for the construction crews. Have you or your team ever tried working directly with contractors or companies instead of going through AirBNB? Or has AirBNB always been the best platform for you? I've identified the prime contractors on the project near me and plan to reach out directly, but I'd be interested to hear if you've had any success, or challenges, going that route. Thanks again.


       Thats not a bad idea if you know the crews present - Ive always just gotten them from Airbnb

      Thanks Andrew

      One thing I am curious about. When those bookings come through Airbnb, could you usually tell if it was the company arranging it or more often just the crew members booking for themselves? I'm trying to get a feel on who drives the decision on lodging for these crews.

    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Chris Brooks:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      You may be onto something here, have you checked Airbnb for any competition? I regularly host construction crews here in Tampa. They can be a little rough but generally worth the "trouble". This has some risk as there is little to no data to rely on, but even if it does not work for you, you can get a small premium for a furnished long term rental or selling furnished as a lot of people relocate to Miami.

      Thanks for the insight. Quick question, did the construction crews/contractors find your property on their own through a listing, or did you reach out to them directly to offer housing?

      Also how did you adjust to the crews being a little rough? 

      They found us on Airbnb primarily.  By rough I mean dirty so just extra cleaning 


      Thanks for the clarification on the extra cleaning, doesn't sound too bad.

      I'm curious about the booking side for the construction crews. Have you or your team ever tried working directly with contractors or companies instead of going through AirBNB? Or has AirBNB always been the best platform for you? I've identified the prime contractors on the project near me and plan to reach out directly, but I'd be interested to hear if you've had any success, or challenges, going that route. Thanks again.


       Thats not a bad idea if you know the crews present - Ive always just gotten them from Airbnb

      Thanks Andrew

      One thing I am curious about. When those bookings come through Airbnb, could you usually tell if it was the company arranging it or more often just the crew members booking for themselves? I'm trying to get a feel on who drives the decision on lodging for these crews.


       Its about 50/50 or so 

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I like your thinking!  Good luck!

    • Flipper/Rehabber · South Florida · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      I like your thinking!  Good luck!

       Thank you for the kind words! Execution will be key. I'm trying to nail down the best approach before diving in. 

  • Lender · United States · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 499 votes
    1y

    I think that's a smart strategy to be honest. It's creative. But what about when construction is complete? Is there market/audience in the area to keep it as a STR?

    • Flipper/Rehabber · South Florida · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Timothy Hero:

      I think that's a smart strategy to be honest. It's creative. But what about when construction is complete? Is there market/audience in the area to keep it as a STR?


      Thank you for the word of encouragement and you bring up a great point.

      My current thinking is to either sell the property once the project is nearing completion or convert it to a LTR. I expect the value to go up and it could be attractive to locals since it cuts commute times having access to three expressways. It's also only 5 miles from the beach, so STR could be an option, but I think there are better locations for vacation focused Airbnb's.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.