What's the consensus on electric fireplaces in a mountain cabin?

What's the consensus on electric fireplaces in a mountain cabin?

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I'm old school and like a real wood-burning fire.  But I am looking at doing a renovation and it could cost as much as $10K more to put in a fireplace.  There's some really fancy electric ones now that even crackle and pop like a real fire.  Is this an acceptable substitute, or are electric fireplaces considered hopelessly faux and cheesy?

0Reply
227 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
1y
Quote from @Collin Hays:

I'm old school and like a real wood-burning fire.  But I am looking at doing a renovation and it could cost as much as $10K more to put in a fireplace.  There's some really fancy electric ones now that even crackle and pop like a real fire.  Is this an acceptable substitute, or are electric fireplaces considered hopelessly faux and cheesy?


 We have both electric and gas in Sevier County. I personally do not want firewood in a rental as I grew up in backwoods Mississippi and know what my crazy friends would do with fire. Men acting like boys = dumb crazy things.

As for the propane we constantly deal with guests blowing out the pilot light because they didn't know it needed to stay lit.  Also some try to roast marshmallows over them. The pro is additional heat source in the once every two year snowed in with electricity out situation.  As for electric fireplaces we really haven't had complaints, but we do have outdoor propane firepits at these locations.  

If you are already vented and can do a sealed propane fireplace (glass doesn't open) I recommend it.  If not, put in electric and have less maintenance calls and lower propane bill.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I'm old school and like a real wood-burning fire.  But I am looking at doing a renovation and it could cost as much as $10K more to put in a fireplace.  There's some really fancy electric ones now that even crackle and pop like a real fire.  Is this an acceptable substitute, or are electric fireplaces considered hopelessly faux and cheesy?


     We have both electric and gas in Sevier County. I personally do not want firewood in a rental as I grew up in backwoods Mississippi and know what my crazy friends would do with fire. Men acting like boys = dumb crazy things.

    As for the propane we constantly deal with guests blowing out the pilot light because they didn't know it needed to stay lit.  Also some try to roast marshmallows over them. The pro is additional heat source in the once every two year snowed in with electricity out situation.  As for electric fireplaces we really haven't had complaints, but we do have outdoor propane firepits at these locations.  

    If you are already vented and can do a sealed propane fireplace (glass doesn't open) I recommend it.  If not, put in electric and have less maintenance calls and lower propane bill.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
    1y

    All of our cabins have electric. People love them. Several have even asked for links to what we have so they can put one in their own hime.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I've bought this one and it actually looks pretty good with the trim kit

    https://www.modernflames.com/fireplaces/redstone-series/

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    As a Floridian who takes an annual mountain cabin trip, I would be ok with electric but would prefer a real fire.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    The thing about the electric fireplace is, yeah, they look pretty cool, but there's a fair amount of technology and moving parts in these things - think video game with a heater - that can go kaput on you. Then what?  Certainly no one is going to repair it for you.  Pull it out and put another in? 

    And what about the remote for the thing?  Remote gets lost, no fire.

    There's some benefits, but I'm leaning toward gas logs and the timer switch.  

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      The thing about the electric fireplace is, yeah, they look pretty cool, but there's a fair amount of technology and moving parts in these things - think video game with a heater - that can go kaput on you. Then what?  Certainly no one is going to repair it for you.  Pull it out and put another in? 

      And what about the remote for the thing?  Remote gets lost, no fire.

      There's some benefits, but I'm leaning toward gas logs and the timer switch.  

      The one I posted I've had for 3 years, no issues. Also has buttons directly on the device that are blended into the design. 

      That said, yeah, like anything electronic you won't be fixing it now that the Maytag Man has been put out to pasture

    • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jon Martin:
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      The thing about the electric fireplace is, yeah, they look pretty cool, but there's a fair amount of technology and moving parts in these things - think video game with a heater - that can go kaput on you. Then what?  Certainly no one is going to repair it for you.  Pull it out and put another in? 

      And what about the remote for the thing?  Remote gets lost, no fire.

      There's some benefits, but I'm leaning toward gas logs and the timer switch.  

      The one I posted I've had for 3 years, no issues. Also has buttons directly on the device that are blended into the design. 

      That said, yeah, like anything electronic you won't be fixing it now that the Maytag Man has been put out to pasture


       Same. Haven't lost a remote for 5 cabins times 5 years and there are manual switches on all of them.

  • Investor · KY · Member since 2022 · 204 posts · 77 votes
    1y

    Electric seems most safe and least overall headache. Most common type in the kentucky cabin market from what ive seen as well

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I don't know how to weigh in on this.  Both sides have good points.  I'll wait and see how the debate develops.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Collin Hays Electric is terrible. Spend the money to get an enclosed propane fireplace.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    @Collin Hays for me I measure the weight of the Pro's and Con's. 

    With an electric unit, will some say they miss or prefer the nostalgia, look, feel of real vs electric? Sure, but to what weight? 

    Is it so much that they wouldn't book again? That they'd say the experience is negative or give a negative review? I don't think so. 

    Now real wood; dirty aspects from the soot, troubles getting it going, over feeding and it being too hot, all issues I have heard people stating. 

    Not to mention insurance impact, risks of persons doing dumb things with fire. 

    I think the weight of Pro's/Con's firmly put's electric units as the best unit to go with as the con's are of minimal weight vs con's of wood/gas log's being of significant weight. 

    All the pro's of wood can be meet via an outdoor firepit and with the features electric units now have. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisiana · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 149 votes
    1y

    I would prefer real log fire but wouldn't avoid or not book a place for vacation because of this. I think you would be fine with electric. They've really improved the electric fireplaces to make them much improved from the old fake/cartoony looking fireplaces imo.

  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 134 votes
    1y

    We had a 4-bedroom townhouse with two propane, ceramic log fireplaces.  We sold the property, but if we had kept it for one more winter, I was going to remove the propane fireplaces and replace them with electric ones.

    We had guests who requested that the pilot light be turned off for their children, and other guests who asked that it be turned on so they could use it.  

    We received a good number of messages late at night asking how to use it, and it's challenging to guide people through it without a phone call.

    The upstairs of the unit had two loft bedrooms.  The heat would rise and shut off the upstairs thermostat, causing the upstairs bedrooms to get cold.

    The downstairs unit was a small one-bedroom, and the fireplace would heat the living room to the point where it was concerning from a temperature and CO2 perspective.  We put up signs suggesting opening the windows when using the fireplace for fresh air, but that whole concept scared the crap out of me.

    I found paper ashes and matches in the fireplaces when they had push-button start, so that also concerned me.

    I found what I think was melted marshmallow on the logs, so that concerned me.

    Long story short, I would go electric.  They photograph well and are guest-friendly IMO.

  • Property Manager · Erie & Millscreek PA | Maggie Valley & Haywood County NC · Member since 2024 · 264 posts · 118 votes
    1y

    @Collin Hays 

    Collin, a lot of guests do love the "real" wood-burning experience, but honestly, most STR travelers these days prioritize ease and safety. High-quality electric fireplaces have come a long way; the ones with realistic flame effects and sound can create plenty of ambiance without the mess, firewood hassle, or liability concerns. In a rental setting, I think guests are more focused on cozy vibes and a nice photo spot than whether it's truly wood-burning. If the cost difference is $10K, an electric unit is a pretty practical trade-off that still checks the box for most people.

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    We have gas (and a cover that's hard to remove to keep guests from roasting marshmallows, etc.). You can see the wall switch on the upper right. Simple toggle on or off. I've toyed with the idea of providing more controls for making the flames larger, different colored, etc. but opted to keep it simple for now. KISS is a mindset we often refer to when we think about improvements. It does get quite toasty for the large TV above it (which has a pull out mount) so that's one thing to consider. (We also have a propane fire table outside which sadly, has seen questionable choices to roast marshmallows which probably burned and smoked on the glass beads, etc.)

    You may not have this @Collin Hays where your cabin is, but one nice thing about the propane outside (not your question, I know) is that depending on the county fire restrictions (which we get when the fire danger is high), our guests have still been able to use both the grill and the fire table since they're contained and propane-fueled, which is not the case for charcoal or real wood.

    Who doesn't love a real fire- true. However, if guests have asthma or other respiratory issues, gas or electric is just easier (and they can be fun if you want to spend a little extra). Don't forget your carbon monoxide detectors!

    • Collin HaysBusiness Member
      OP
      Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Christina B.:

      We have gas (and a cover that's hard to remove to keep guests from roasting marshmallows, etc.). You can see the wall switch on the upper right. Simple toggle on or off. I've toyed with the idea of providing more controls for making the flames larger, different colored, etc. but opted to keep it simple for now. KISS is a mindset we often refer to when we think about improvements. It does get quite toasty for the large TV above it (which has a pull out mount) so that's one thing to consider. (We also have a propane fire table outside which sadly, has seen questionable choices to roast marshmallows which probably burned and smoked on the glass beads, etc.)

      You may not have this @Collin Hays where your cabin is, but one nice thing about the propane outside (not your question, I know) is that depending on the county fire restrictions (which we get when the fire danger is high), our guests have still been able to use both the grill and the fire table since they're contained and propane-fueled, which is not the case for charcoal or real wood.

      Who doesn't love a real fire- true. However, if guests have asthma or other respiratory issues, gas or electric is just easier (and they can be fun if you want to spend a little extra). Don't forget your carbon monoxide detectors!

      Nice post!  I am going with an actual fireplace, and probably with propane logs.  Even though it is for a rental cabin, I'm just not big on fake stuff.  Thank you so much!
  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    Great choice! Now I'm curious. Is that pretty idiot-proof? Or could a guest move over the logs (not sure about how it connects to the propane) and use real wood?

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Christina B.:

      Great choice! Now I'm curious. Is that pretty idiot-proof? Or could a guest move over the logs (not sure about how it connects to the propane) and use real wood?


       If you are imagining it then a guest could probably do it! 

    • Collin HaysBusiness Member
      OP
      Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Christina B.:

      Great choice! Now I'm curious. Is that pretty idiot-proof? Or could a guest move over the logs (not sure about how it connects to the propane) and use real wood?


       They keep building bigger and better idiots.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.