Did AirDNA Projected Revenue Just Take A Nose Dive?

Did AirDNA Projected Revenue Just Take A Nose Dive?

Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes

Over the past couple months I have been using AirDNA daily to analyze projected revenue of potential STR properties in Tennessee and Florida. Last week the projected revenue was basically cut in half or greater on all properties I have looked at (100s of properties). I even ran it against properties I have closed on in the past month where the lender used AirDNA projected revenue to approve the DSCR loans. Properties that one week ago said $120k say $40k. It is literally crazy what they are saying the projected revenue is. I ran it against a property I just sold which does $300k a year and the rentalizer dropped to $49k a year. Ran it against the property I owned for almost a decade it shows $33k when it does $100k to $125k a year. The numbers use to be within plus or minus 10%.

I know you can change the comp sets if you have the paid version, but most users do not pay for it or want to take the time to do it. I look at dozens daily and to take the time to change comp sets would be horrendous. Also, you would have to find a lender willing to change the comp sets for a DSCR loan. I also know there are other tools out there, but most lenders want either verifiable 12 months previous income or use AirDNA. This will definitely impact sales and purchases of STRs when individuals are using the potential income to get the loan. This change has made AirDNA about as useful as a bikini in Antarctica.

1Reply
408 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10mo

My AirDNA rep just emailed me it is a known issue and is being worked on and it should be fixed soon.

I do not know the exact issue but it had nothing to do with the 15.5% or other general shortfalls with AirDNA.

It was not pulling comps readily available in a well established STR neighborhood and going beyond, and grabbing irrelevant comps.

AirDNA is a crapshoot if you are using the free version, but the paid version is a powerful took (when working).  It grabs many relevant comps quickly in the neighborhood you are searching in and displays them.  It is up to you to discern what is specifically relevant.  If you have a 4/4 house across the street from the beach and you search on AirDNA maybe across the street does $200k but beachfront does $300k and maybe the autogenerated number comes up $250k.  It is up to you to see which comps are most relevant to you, but likely if you underwrite $250k in income as an across the street comp you will be under water by $50k and that is not the software's fault.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    I noticed this too and just emailed my AirDNA rep.  I believe it is a glitch.  I ran a 4/2 Seminole. FL Pool home where the numbers should be $80-100k and it is coming up $58k.  It is in an area with no shortage of comps yet there are none being used within a mile and it is pulling some over 5 miles away.  I suspect this is some sort of glitch.

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    I have noticed the same thing most times. I will say I noticed one outlier where the projected revenue went up as compared to a month ago. It makes it tough for DSCR loans for sure.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    10mo

    I suspect it is what I mentioned in other posts. Not all hosts have accounted for the 15.5% Airbnb fee and the rates are artificially low. I noticed this in my market. If connected hosts didn’t increase their rates, they now look very low without the Airbnb guest service fee. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10mo

    Even with the 15.5%, AirDNA has always been a crap shoot IMHO.

    I have seen AirDNA overestimate by a ton. Like 200% over on revenue and spoke with others who based their entire purchase off AirDNA projections only to have them fall way short.

    • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Even with the 15.5%, AirDNA has always been a crap shoot IMHO.

      I have seen AirDNA overestimate by a ton. Like 200% over on revenue and spoke with others who based their entire purchase off AirDNA projections only to have them fall way short.


      I have seen them over and under estimate in the past. The problem is even when I know what a property can produce, lenders will use Airdna when there is no rental history. When they cut their estimates in half it means the properties will not be able to be underwritten. I had offers on a couple properties this weekend and thankfully we couldn't come to an agreement as I was offering 15% below asking. At the current AirDNA estimate I would have to offer 60% below asking to finance them. I know they could do more than the original Airdna estimates. AirDNA helps guide my offers as I know what a lender would lend on it to get a 1 to 1.25 DSCR ratio. For me Airdna is more of a lending and offer tool than a personal underwriting tool because I know my markets very well and what properties can produce in them.

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Even with the 15.5%, AirDNA has always been a crap shoot IMHO.

      I have seen AirDNA overestimate by a ton. Like 200% over on revenue and spoke with others who based their entire purchase off AirDNA projections only to have them fall way short.

      I would be curious to know how many of these people relied on it as their sole underwriting tool and used a flawed comp set, like what @Andrew Steffens listed above where it pulls from the beachfront houses while you are 3-4 blocks back. I've also seen wild estimates in rural areas where there are very comps to pull from. 

      With any comps you should be able to cross check their calendars and see if the math makes sense. I've been able to at least match AirDna on several different properties and with my larger place greatly exceed it. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    My AirDNA rep just emailed me it is a known issue and is being worked on and it should be fixed soon.

    I do not know the exact issue but it had nothing to do with the 15.5% or other general shortfalls with AirDNA.

    It was not pulling comps readily available in a well established STR neighborhood and going beyond, and grabbing irrelevant comps.

    AirDNA is a crapshoot if you are using the free version, but the paid version is a powerful took (when working).  It grabs many relevant comps quickly in the neighborhood you are searching in and displays them.  It is up to you to discern what is specifically relevant.  If you have a 4/4 house across the street from the beach and you search on AirDNA maybe across the street does $200k but beachfront does $300k and maybe the autogenerated number comes up $250k.  It is up to you to see which comps are most relevant to you, but likely if you underwrite $250k in income as an across the street comp you will be under water by $50k and that is not the software's fault.

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisiana · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 147 votes
    10mo

    Appears they also got rid of the "Days Available" filter which I always enjoyed using. Was a quick way to remove new listings or listings that aren't full time STR that might skew the numbers.

  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 134 votes
    10mo

    I can confirm something is up with AirDNA recently.  In January, I took a screenshot of the Chattanooga Market overview for our business plan, which showed 2,155 active listings.  In October, I was working on slides for a speech, and it said 736; and today, 129.  In my opinion, AirDNA data has been worthless in our market for about 3 months now and counting.  I'm not sure what's going on, but writing this post has inspired me to email them and ask for a credit to our account.

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    10mo

    Are DSCR lenders really underwriting with AirDNA projected revenue? Would they actually approve you with just a 12 month data/projection from AirDNA?

    • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Allen Bosbyshell:

      Are DSCR lenders really underwriting with AirDNA projected revenue? Would they actually approve you with just a 12 month data/projection from AirDNA?

      Many do consider 70% to 80% of AirDNA data projection. Some consider up to 100%.  It depends on lender and also experience of borrower.
  • Interior Decorator · Nationwide · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 35 votes
    10mo

    They are currently fixing the issue and should have the backup data up and running in the next 24 hours.

  • Lender · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10mo

    I noticed this today as well 11/11/2025 . Properties I looked at 3 months ago showing up 30- 40% less and I own properties in these neighborhoods so I know the recent lower revenue estimates are incorrect so glad to hear this is a glitch AirDNA is aware of and working to fix. 

  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 134 votes
    10mo

    For those of you getting low projections, have you checked the market the property is in and the active listings on AirDNA, versus how many active listings there actually are?  In the Chattanooga market, I believe we have about 2,000 STRs.  Right now, AirDNA is saying 129.  I'm betting if you look in the market, you're getting low projections; a similar condition exists.

  • Vincent JacobbiPro Member
    Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 25 votes
    10mo

    From what I heard, they adjusted to provide a wider catchment for rural areas which could skew a more dense area. I believe they resolved this as of today. 

  • Lender · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10mo

    Looks fixed now. Yesterday my prop showed $77k and today its showing at $132k which is what AirDNA showed a few months back

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.