From a lender’s perspective: cashflow structure vs. loan structure

From a lender’s perspective: cashflow structure vs. loan structure

Daniel KrausBusiness Member
Nashville · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes

I’m a mortgage lender who works with a lot of real estate investors, and I’m curious how this group thinks about cashflow mechanics, not just financing terms.

Most discussions I’m part of revolve around:

  • interest rates

  • amortization schedules

  • leverage and qualification

But occasionally investors ask questions that sit outside the loan itself:
Where should rental cash sit between inflow and outflow?

I put together a one-page visual to help explain an approach some investors use:
treating a HELOC (simple interest, daily balance) as a central operating account rather than parking cash in checking/savings.

Conceptually:

  • Rent flows into the adjoined checking account of a HELOC

  • Expenses are paid from the same line

  • Daily balance math reduces interest automatically

  • Some pair this with targeted principal reduction on long-term 30 yr mortgages

From a lender’s seat, I’m not advocating this as an end all be all strategy — just trying to understand how investors are thinking about it operationally.

For those who’ve used something similar:

  • Where does this add real value?

  • Where does it introduce behavioral or liquidity risk?

  • Any operational friction worth calling out?

Genuinely interested in how experienced operators view this.

0Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8mo

I put my CPA and attorney in the same room when structuring all my different LLCs.

They suggested I have one business account that receives all my income from all my non IRA owned properties and it pays all the non IRA bills. I track all this in excel and have very detailed records. My CPA tells me I am one of his most organized clients.

I have two self directed ROTH IRA'S and they are set up the same way.

It would be unrealistic for me to have 40 seperate bank accounts.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8mo

    I put my CPA and attorney in the same room when structuring all my different LLCs.

    They suggested I have one business account that receives all my income from all my non IRA owned properties and it pays all the non IRA bills. I track all this in excel and have very detailed records. My CPA tells me I am one of his most organized clients.

    I have two self directed ROTH IRA'S and they are set up the same way.

    It would be unrealistic for me to have 40 seperate bank accounts.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Daniel Kraus:

    I’m a mortgage lender who works with a lot of real estate investors, and I’m curious how this group thinks about cashflow mechanics, not just financing terms.

    Most discussions I’m part of revolve around:

    • interest rates

    • amortization schedules

    • leverage and qualification

    But occasionally investors ask questions that sit outside the loan itself:
    Where should rental cash sit between inflow and outflow?

    I put together a one-page visual to help explain an approach some investors use:
    treating a HELOC (simple interest, daily balance) as a central operating account rather than parking cash in checking/savings.

    Conceptually:

    • Rent flows into the adjoined checking account of a HELOC

    • Expenses are paid from the same line

    • Daily balance math reduces interest automatically

    • Some pair this with targeted principal reduction on long-term 30 yr mortgages

    From a lender’s seat, I’m not advocating this as an end all be all strategy — just trying to understand how investors are thinking about it operationally.

    For those who’ve used something similar:

    • Where does this add real value?

    • Where does it introduce behavioral or liquidity risk?

    • Any operational friction worth calling out?

    Genuinely interested in how experienced operators view this.


     This is not what I do personally but is a viable flowchart for the right person.

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    This proposition doesn't entirely make sense to me. I'm a bit surprised this is something investors ask about.

    You just buy the rental and set aside in a money market account the appropriate amount of reserves. You make distributions to yourself as often as you want, or use the cash flow to build up the reserve account even higher if you want. If you have thousands in there for one property, just pull out the cash for your living expenses or invest it elsewhere. Not much to it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.