STR very close to a construction site?

STR very close to a construction site?

Mike LambertPro Member
Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hi everyone, many people know that I invest in short-term rentals in Spain so I often get questions on the topic from fellow (would be) investors. I got one that I'm not sure how to answer properly given that I've never been in the situation and don't know anybody who has. So I figured out I'll ask the STR experts, given that it's a situation that's not unique to the area. So here it goes:

"We recently bought a short-term rental that we were going to launch as a short-term rental, as  STR income should be much higher than MTR and LTR income in this vacation location. We just discovered that a new condo b building is going to be built very close by (1 minute from our door by foot and there's no construction between our terrace/garden and the construction site). The construction is going to last for two years so I wonder if we wouldn't be better off renting long- or medium-term during that period."

I was interested to see what AI would say so I interrogated Gemini, ChatGPT and Perplexity and they all advise against starting with an STR, invoking:
- Necessity to disclose, resulting in substantially less bookings. And even then, guests might still complain and give bad reviews
- Necessity to discount
- Price war between the many STRs affected and competitive disadvantage compared to the already established players.
The result: lots of stress and much less rental income.

As we know, LLMs can make mistakes and hallucinate so I thought I'd ask the short-term rental experts out here.

Many thanks

0Reply
176 views

Most Popular Reply

Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
7mo

We had 2 year construction happening on 3 sides of our STR. I'm talking about 19 story, 8 story and 6 story apartment buildings!

Our automatic response to instant bookings highlighted the construction, encouraging guests to cancel if they wanted to avoid the construction noise. Very few guests cancelled. None of the guests complained. In fact, we had one guest who hung out with her nephew in the backyard watching the construction. They loved it.

Letting guests know what is in store is the key. 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    7mo

    We had 2 year construction happening on 3 sides of our STR. I'm talking about 19 story, 8 story and 6 story apartment buildings!

    Our automatic response to instant bookings highlighted the construction, encouraging guests to cancel if they wanted to avoid the construction noise. Very few guests cancelled. None of the guests complained. In fact, we had one guest who hung out with her nephew in the backyard watching the construction. They loved it.

    Letting guests know what is in store is the key. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7mo

    I think A.I.probably has this correct.

    However if you do have a STR you have to disclose in bold large letters about the construction and the noise.

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo


    @Carolyn Fuller
    Really? That's amazing! And/or maybe you have an amazing property to compensate for that or would it be in a noisy city? That guy's STR is actually in a quiet gated community where people go on holiday to relax.

    @John UnderwoodAI did mention the disclosure as well but also that some guests nevertheless would leave bad reviews and ask for refunds.

    • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Mike Lambert:


      @Carolyn Fuller
      Really? That's amazing! And/or maybe you have an amazing property to compensate for that or would it be in a noisy city? That guy's STR is actually in a quiet gated community where people go on holiday to relax.

      We are the "Urban Oasis" in the middle of the city, so that might very well indicate our guests tend to be people who expect some noise.

      I disagree with those who say it will mean bad reviews. If you truly highlight the negatives, giving guests the opportunity to cancel, they won't give you a bad review because of the negative.

      An environment that attracts guests because it is normally a quiet environment might be a challenge too steep to overcome for a brand new listing.
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    7mo

    I'm not sure why anyone would start a financial project with an inherent issue. I mean, just why?

    You know you will get some negative reviews and issues, regardless of what you disclose.... LTR it until the construction is finished...

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7mo

    Most of the time the best answer to give somebody is, "it depends on the numbers." I think that applies in the situation. If the person that wants to buy the piece of real estate next to a construction site, that the cost of that should be included in the deal. Additionally, an estimation of a construction timeline is not necessarily what the timeline will actually be. So there is a big gamble or risk in knowingly purchasing next to a construction site. The cost of purchasing the property should take consideration that risk. So, in other words, without a significant discount, and I mean significant, I would not do the deal because I need to get paid for the risk I take on.

    • Mike LambertPro Member
      OP
      Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Shiloh Lundahl:

      Most of the time the best answer to give somebody is, "it depends on the numbers." I think that applies in the situation. If the person that wants to buy the piece of real estate next to a construction site, that the cost of that should be included in the deal. Additionally, an estimation of a construction timeline is not necessarily what the timeline will actually be. So there is a big gamble or risk in knowingly purchasing next to a construction site. The cost of purchasing the property should take consideration that risk. So, in other words, without a significant discount, and I mean significant, I would not do the deal because I need to get paid for the risk I take on.

      Shiloh, you're making a great point here. Unfortunately, he had already bought before he found out. Had it been me, I'd have done the detective work and use my relationships on the ground to figure out what was likely to happen before buying next to a vacant land. Mind you, they're going to build luxury condos which will lift the whole area so, ultimately, he'll be a winner. Given that, the question for him is to choose whether he goes STR or LTR/MTR during construction, with the idea of going for STR afterwards.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    I think it depends on the unit and the location as well.  Is this a location where people are out all day, and a more basic unit that sort of just as act as a place to sleep and cook simple meals? If so disclosure would likely be sufficient.  I have been in hotels in cities where there is construction and its not a big deal, Im out of the place by 8am and do not return til the evening.  Now, if it were in the mountains where I may go for rest and relaxation and may be in the unit 23 out of 24 hours in a day then I would be highly annoyed.

    • Mike LambertPro Member
      OP
      Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      I think it depends on the unit and the location as well.  Is this a location where people are out all day, and a more basic unit that sort of just as act as a place to sleep and cook simple meals? If so disclosure would likely be sufficient.  I have been in hotels in cities where there is construction and its not a big deal, Im out of the place by 8am and do not return til the evening.  Now, if it were in the mountains where I may go for rest and relaxation and may be in the unit 23 out of 24 hours in a day then I would be highly annoyed.


      Andrew, great points. It'd likely to be a mix. The thing is, if I was the potential guest, I'd never book a property that has that kind of disclosure when I can book plenty of other properties that don't have that issue. Even if offered a large discount, I wouldn't. Some more price sensitive guests could consider it but then the owner could make more money with a LTR/MTR without all the stress. And then, what AI suggests is that, even with the disclosure, some guests would still complain.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7mo

    Hey @Mike Lambert! So a one minute walk isn't right next door. Sounds like it is open on the side where the construction is going on so no buffer.

    One thing to ask is what the regs are regarding the times for construction. Some areas in the US have really no restrictions. Construction can happen at 5am or 10pm. 

    I have read that Spain values way of life etc so I am betting that there will be restrictions on when they can be making noise so it shouldn't be happening super early or late.

    Another thing to think about would be parking. Early on you will have all sorts of large trucks like concrete pumpers, big framing package flatbeds etc etc needing to park the rigs. Will that impact the guests ability to park?

    • Mike LambertPro Member
      OP
      Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Hey @Mike Lambert! So a one minute walk isn't right next door. Sounds like it is open on the side where the construction is going on so no buffer.

      One thing to ask is what the regs are regarding the times for construction. Some areas in the US have really no restrictions. Construction can happen at 5am or 10pm. 

      I have read that Spain values way of life etc so I am betting that there will be restrictions on when they can be making noise so it shouldn't be happening super early or late.

      Another thing to think about would be parking. Early on you will have all sorts of large trucks like concrete pumpers, big framing package flatbeds etc etc needing to park the rigs. Will that impact the guests ability to park?


      Hey Michael, construction would be during the day indeed. It'd be during the day indeed but they start early and the master bedroom is on the side of the construction. Moreover, it's in a tranquil location where guests who are active during the day could still want to relax. Also, there are retirees from Northern Europe and North America who book for several weeks and the spend quite a lot of time in the property. There would be no impact on parking since the property comes with a parking spot in the garage and there is additional parking within the gated community.

    • Michael BaumPro Member
      Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Mike Lambert:

      Hey Michael, construction would be during the day indeed. It'd be during the day indeed but they start early and the master bedroom is on the side of the construction. Moreover, it's in a tranquil location where guests who are active during the day could still want to relax. Also, there are retirees from Northern Europe and North America who book for several weeks and the spend quite a lot of time in the property. There would be no impact on parking since the property comes with a parking spot in the garage and there is additional parking within the gated community.

      Well then I would advise the folks to look at some other kind of rental. A LTR in order to cover the bills then convert once the construction is over. I probably wouldn't have bought it with the knowledge but it looks like they are committed. 
  • Investor · Barcelona & Valencia (Spain) · Member since 2017 · 322 posts · 177 votes
    7mo

    Hi @Mike Lambert, with all of your knowledge, you should know the answer to this question.

    Is there enough demand in the area? Are you profitable if you might need to lower a bit?

    As always with tourist rentals, make sure to stick out from the competition with a unique interior design.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Two years of construction is rough but the AIs might be overthinking it. I've seen STR owners work around noise by being super transparent + offering small perks. MTR could be your goldmine though - traveling nurses, corporate relocators. Less hassle than STR turnover, better than long-term rates. How's MTR demand in your area?

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    7mo

    Great discussion here, and I think the real answer is a mix of what everyone’s already touched on: context + numbers + guest profile.

    From experience, construction itself doesn't automatically kill an STR—but mismatch of expectations does. If this were an urban or “basecamp” type property where guests are out most of the day, strong disclosure and a small pricing adjustment can absolutely work. Transparency up front tends to filter out the guests who would be unhappy, which protects reviews.

    That said, in a quiet, resort-style, relaxation-focused area, the bar is much higher. Long-stay retirees, work-from-home travelers, and “peace and quiet” guests are far more sensitive to daytime noise—especially if the primary bedroom faces the site. In those cases, even honest disclosure doesn’t always prevent friction.

    If this were my asset, I’d run it like this:

    • Model both scenarios on paper: discounted STR vs. clean MTR/LTR (including turnover, refunds, review risk, and time cost).

    • If STR revenue still meaningfully beats MTR after a realistic discount, try STR with very bold disclosure and optional perks (late checkout, noise machines, mid-stay cleaning, etc.).

    • If the numbers come out close, I’d lean MTR during construction—traveling professionals, insurance housing, or corporate stays tend to be more tolerant of daytime activity and bring less operational stress.

    Bottom line: this isn’t really a “construction problem”—it’s a guest-fit and risk-pricing problem. If you're getting paid for the risk and the workload, STR can work. If not, MTR is often the calmer, more predictable bridge until the build is done.

    Would be curious what the actual spread looks like between discounted STR and a solid 3–6 month MTR in that market.

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    OP
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    @Erwin Groenendijk, You unsurprisingly mentioned all the important points that count here. However, I want to avoid giving bad advice since it's not my property. I can do as much quantitative analysis as I want, there is an uncontrollable qualitative aspect here regarding what guests will think and the reviews the'll give. If it was me, I wouldn't book the property under any circumstances as an STR, even in it was free, as I value my time and tranquility too much over sparing a bit of money. But everybody's different, hence I ask the community for their opinions and experience with that kind of situation.

    @Bo Smith, there is demand from MTRs, but especially from remote workers and retirees, who I imagine woud likely spend a large part of the day inside or on the terrace or garden during construction hours.

    @Andrew Street, you did a great job mentioning in detail all the important aspects. Under those circumstances, it's very difficult to model anything as the outcomes would almost entirely depend on guests/tenants and their behaviour. Will they book in the first place and, if they do, how will they handle reviews.

    • Bo SmithPro Member
      Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Mike Lambert:

      @Erwin Groenendijk, You unsurprisingly mentioned all the important points that count here. However, I want to avoid giving bad advice since it's not my property. I can do as much quantitative analysis as I want, there is an uncontrollable qualitative aspect here regarding what guests will think and the reviews the'll give. If it was me, I wouldn't book the property under any circumstances as an STR, even in it was free, as I value my time and tranquility too much over sparing a bit of money. But everybody's different, hence I ask the community for their opinions and experience with that kind of situation.

      @Bo Smith, there is demand from MTRs, but especially from remote workers and retirees, who I imagine woud likely spend a large part of the day inside or on the terrace or garden during construction hours.

      @Andrew Street, you did a great job mentioning in detail all the important aspects. Under those circumstances, it's very difficult to model anything as the outcomes would almost entirely depend on guests/tenants and their behaviour. Will they book in the first place and, if they do, how will they handle reviews.


      Yeah that makes sense. Want me to DM you a quick framework for evaluating MTR vs STR revenue during disruptions? Helps you run the numbers properly.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.