When Guests Insist on Viewing Before Booking… Do You Allow It?

When Guests Insist on Viewing Before Booking… Do You Allow It?

Virtual Assistant · Abuja, Nigeria | Remote · Member since 2026 · 75 posts · 28 votes

There are some guests you’ll come across who can be quite demanding—and knowing how to handle them is key to protecting your time and your property.

I recently had a potential guest who wanted to book a stay for herself and her siblings. Before booking, she insisted on viewing the property in person, despite the listing having clear photos and strong reviews.

As standard practice, I explained that the unit was currently occupied and that in-person viewings aren’t permitted due to privacy and security reasons. I also reassured her that the property is exactly as presented in the photos and description.

She ultimately chose not to proceed without a viewing and I was completely fine with that.

Not every inquiry should convert into a booking. Part of effective short-term rental management is setting clear boundaries and filtering out guests who may not be the right fit.

Have you dealt with similar situations? How do you handle pre-booking viewing?

2Reply
481 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5mo

I have not had that request for a short stay, but I would refuse.  I'm 2500 miles away, and I'm not hiring someone to show the place for me for a few day's booking.  I would never show it while guests are present or during a turnover day either.  You have to think about Airbnb and Vrbo being around for years now, and millions of people have used them successfully by photos and reviews.  Why would this person insist on seeing it?  I've heard of scammers wanting to find out the exact address and take video to make up a fake listing on Facebook Marketplace that they use to scam guests out of money.  And there's the fact that showing an empty house to a stranger can be risky.  Airbnb and Vrbo don't really vet their guests. 

I did show mine to a few potential long term guests on Furnished Finder a few years ago.  At that time, I was staying 1.5 hours away.  They didn't end up booking, so that was (2) 3 hour round trips wasted.  

@John Racine the reason not to communicate off Airbnb like that is because they could ban you if they find out the guest is trying to book directly with you.  The reason a guest would want to call or text you right off the bat is usually to pay you directly with a stolen credit card or bad company check.  And now, Airbnb doesn't give you the guest's real phone number even after booking, and the guest doesn't get yours.  They give virtual phone numbers that expire 2 days after the stay.  If you try to message the guest a real phone number or email, even disguised in text, they will block it.  They've even blocked numbers in a message that weren't an attempt to send a phone number, they're getting very aggressive about it.  Vrbo still gives out phone numbers and emails after booking, however.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    We’ve never had that request, but would have no problem accommodating it if we were able.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5mo

    I have had that request twice and accommodated them both times. In both instances they were part of a larger, multi-generational family group and wanted to make sure the stairs were navigable for the older family members.

    Both booked the stay (both were 7 days) and were excellent guests and left 5 stars across the board! 

    • Virtual Assistant · Abuja, Nigeria | Remote · Member since 2026 · 75 posts · 28 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      I have had that request twice and accommodated them both times. In both instances they were part of a larger, multi-generational family group and wanted to make sure the stairs were navigable for the older family members.

      Both booked the stay (both were 7 days) and were excellent guests and left 5 stars across the board! 


       In my case, since the unit was occupied, I couldn’t accommodate it. But if it were vacant and the reason was clearly justified like yours, I will definitely consider it.

      Sounds like you handled it well and 7-day bookings with 5-star guests is  a solid win.

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    I've had that request, I've accommodated when able and it worked out fine.

    • Virtual Assistant · Abuja, Nigeria | Remote · Member since 2026 · 75 posts · 28 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Mike Grudzien:

      I've had that request, I've accommodated when able and it worked out fine.


       Good to hear

    • Mike GrudzienPro Member
      Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Chizoba Ani:
      Quote from @Mike Grudzien:

      I've had that request, I've accommodated when able and it worked out fine.


       Good to hear


       No problem.

  • Real Estate Investor · Casselberry, FL · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 33 votes
    5mo

    I have gotten that request several times and each one seemed to follow a pattern:

    Brand new AirBNB Account

    Long Term Stay 30+ days

    Asked to communicate off-channel

    I have denied each of those. Asking to communicate off AirBNB is not something I will do whether that is good or bad, I don't know. I am just not comfortable with it.

    • Virtual Assistant · Abuja, Nigeria | Remote · Member since 2026 · 75 posts · 28 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Racine:

      I have gotten that request several times and each one seemed to follow a pattern:

      Brand new AirBNB Account

      Long Term Stay 30+ days

      Asked to communicate off-channel

      I have denied each of those. Asking to communicate off AirBNB is not something I will do whether that is good or bad, I don't know. I am just not comfortable with it.

      In some cases, some guests may end up becoming squatters especially long term stays..
  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    5mo

    I have a couple of times. One I was able to accommodate when the unit was cacant the other I was not but did a FaceTime walk through later when it was (guest was no longer longer). Both became 30 day repeat guests during my high season paying top dollar. I am very glad I was able to. They are booked again for next year. My guests tend to be on the older side and they want to make sure it’s a real listing (if direct) or that they could stand to be there for multiple weeks. 

    • Virtual Assistant · Abuja, Nigeria | Remote · Member since 2026 · 75 posts · 28 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:

      I have a couple of times. One I was able to accommodate when the unit was cacant the other I was not but did a FaceTime walk through later when it was (guest was no longer longer). Both became 30 day repeat guests during my high season paying top dollar. I am very glad I was able to. They are booked again for next year. My guests tend to be on the older side and they want to make sure it’s a real listing (if direct) or that they could stand to be there for multiple weeks. 


       It’s interesting that those guests ended up becoming repeat, high-value stays.

    • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Chizoba Ani:
      Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:

      I have a couple of times. One I was able to accommodate when the unit was cacant the other I was not but did a FaceTime walk through later when it was (guest was no longer longer). Both became 30 day repeat guests during my high season paying top dollar. I am very glad I was able to. They are booked again for next year. My guests tend to be on the older side and they want to make sure it’s a real listing (if direct) or that they could stand to be there for multiple weeks. 


       It’s interesting that those guests ended up becoming repeat, high-value stays.

      Not really a surprise in my market (SWFL). We have a lot of people that book a year in advance for the following year. They are looking as much at the availability and professionalism of the host as they are in the unit and location itself. Being accessible to show them the place in person went a long way with both. 
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5mo

    Never had that happen.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Never had it happen for a STR but would decline.

  • Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 538 posts · 306 votes
    5mo
    You handled it the right way. Pre-booking viewings sound reasonable on the surface, but operationally they break the model. You introduce risk (current guest privacy, security), disrupt turnover flow, and set a precedent that doesn’t scale. More importantly, the request itself is usually the signal. If someone can’t get comfortable with high-quality photos, reviews, and clear communication, they’re telling you how they’ll behave during the stay. That said, there’s a middle ground that keeps control: Offer a structured alternative instead of a yes/no: • short video walkthroughs (recorded or live) • hyper-detailed listings (layouts, measurements, edge cases) • fast, specific Q&A You give them certainty without giving up the system. At that point, if they still hesitate, it’s not a marketing problem—it’s a fit problem. Curious—have you ever made an exception and had it actually convert into a good guest, or does it usually confirm the red flag?
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    I have not had that request for a short stay, but I would refuse.  I'm 2500 miles away, and I'm not hiring someone to show the place for me for a few day's booking.  I would never show it while guests are present or during a turnover day either.  You have to think about Airbnb and Vrbo being around for years now, and millions of people have used them successfully by photos and reviews.  Why would this person insist on seeing it?  I've heard of scammers wanting to find out the exact address and take video to make up a fake listing on Facebook Marketplace that they use to scam guests out of money.  And there's the fact that showing an empty house to a stranger can be risky.  Airbnb and Vrbo don't really vet their guests. 

    I did show mine to a few potential long term guests on Furnished Finder a few years ago.  At that time, I was staying 1.5 hours away.  They didn't end up booking, so that was (2) 3 hour round trips wasted.  

    @John Racine the reason not to communicate off Airbnb like that is because they could ban you if they find out the guest is trying to book directly with you.  The reason a guest would want to call or text you right off the bat is usually to pay you directly with a stolen credit card or bad company check.  And now, Airbnb doesn't give you the guest's real phone number even after booking, and the guest doesn't get yours.  They give virtual phone numbers that expire 2 days after the stay.  If you try to message the guest a real phone number or email, even disguised in text, they will block it.  They've even blocked numbers in a message that weren't an attempt to send a phone number, they're getting very aggressive about it.  Vrbo still gives out phone numbers and emails after booking, however.

    • Real Estate Investor · Casselberry, FL · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 33 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

      I have not had that request for a short stay, but I would refuse.  I'm 2500 miles away, and I'm not hiring someone to show the place for me for a few day's booking.  I would never show it while guests are present or during a turnover day either.  You have to think about Airbnb and Vrbo being around for years now, and millions of people have used them successfully by photos and reviews.  Why would this person insist on seeing it?  I've heard of scammers wanting to find out the exact address and take video to make up a fake listing on Facebook Marketplace that they use to scam guests out of money.  And there's the fact that showing an empty house to a stranger can be risky.  Airbnb and Vrbo don't really vet their guests. 

      I did show mine to a few potential long term guests on Furnished Finder a few years ago.  At that time, I was staying 1.5 hours away.  They didn't end up booking, so that was (2) 3 hour round trips wasted.  

      @John Racine the reason not to communicate off Airbnb like that is because they could ban you if they find out the guest is trying to book directly with you.  The reason a guest would want to call or text you right off the bat is usually to pay you directly with a stolen credit card or bad company check.  And now, Airbnb doesn't give you the guest's real phone number even after booking, and the guest doesn't get yours.  They give virtual phone numbers that expire 2 days after the stay.  If you try to message the guest a real phone number or email, even disguised in text, they will block it.  They've even blocked numbers in a message that weren't an attempt to send a phone number, they're getting very aggressive about it.  Vrbo still gives out phone numbers and emails after booking, however.


       AMEN.

    • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

      I have not had that request for a short stay, but I would refuse.  I'm 2500 miles away, and I'm not hiring someone to show the place for me for a few day's booking.  I would never show it while guests are present or during a turnover day either.  You have to think about Airbnb and Vrbo being around for years now, and millions of people have used them successfully by photos and reviews.  Why would this person insist on seeing it?  I've heard of scammers wanting to find out the exact address and take video to make up a fake listing on Facebook Marketplace that they use to scam guests out of money.  And there's the fact that showing an empty house to a stranger can be risky.  Airbnb and Vrbo don't really vet their guests. 

      I did show mine to a few potential long term guests on Furnished Finder a few years ago.  At that time, I was staying 1.5 hours away.  They didn't end up booking, so that was (2) 3 hour round trips wasted.  

      @John Racine the reason not to communicate off Airbnb like that is because they could ban you if they find out the guest is trying to book directly with you.  The reason a guest would want to call or text you right off the bat is usually to pay you directly with a stolen credit card or bad company check.  And now, Airbnb doesn't give you the guest's real phone number even after booking, and the guest doesn't get yours.  They give virtual phone numbers that expire 2 days after the stay.  If you try to message the guest a real phone number or email, even disguised in text, they will block it.  They've even blocked numbers in a message that weren't an attempt to send a phone number, they're getting very aggressive about it.  Vrbo still gives out phone numbers and emails after booking, however.

      I keep reading that Airbnb doesn’t provide real phone numbers anymore. That isn’t my experience so I wonder why this may be true for some but not others?
    • Michael BaumPro Member
      Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:
      I keep reading that Airbnb doesn’t provide real phone numbers anymore. That isn’t my experience so I wonder why this may be true for some but not others?
      It looks that way. I had to call the guest arriving the first week of May to let them know the rotten beam issue I am dealing with and that it might not be complete before they arrive.

      I told them that there wasn't any danger of it coming down but the upper deck off the master would be off limits and I wanted them to make sure they were OK with that.

      I am pretty sure it will be done but I wanted to call.

      AirBNB anonymized my phone number and theirs when I called. I gave them my direct number to text me with their decision. Totally different number. 
    • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:
      Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:
      I keep reading that Airbnb doesn’t provide real phone numbers anymore. That isn’t my experience so I wonder why this may be true for some but not others?
      It looks that way. I had to call the guest arriving the first week of May to let them know the rotten beam issue I am dealing with and that it might not be complete before they arrive.

      I told them that there wasn't any danger of it coming down but the upper deck off the master would be off limits and I wanted them to make sure they were OK with that.

      I am pretty sure it will be done but I wanted to call.

      AirBNB anonymized my phone number and theirs when I called. I gave them my direct number to text me with their decision. Totally different number. 

       I wonder if it's different because I use a PMS?  I definitely get the real phone number.  I have guests complete a rental agreement after then book and the number they give me when completing the rental agreement is the same as what they give me on Airbnb.  

    • Michael BaumPro Member
      Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:

       I wonder if it's different because I use a PMS?  I definitely get the real phone number.  I have guests complete a rental agreement after then book and the number they give me when completing the rental agreement is the same as what they give me on Airbnb.  

      That could very well be. I was going to ask about that when I call them about my deck beam and make sure they know about the guest still wanting to stay.
    • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:
      Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

      I have not had that request for a short stay, but I would refuse.  I'm 2500 miles away, and I'm not hiring someone to show the place for me for a few day's booking.  I would never show it while guests are present or during a turnover day either.  You have to think about Airbnb and Vrbo being around for years now, and millions of people have used them successfully by photos and reviews.  Why would this person insist on seeing it?  I've heard of scammers wanting to find out the exact address and take video to make up a fake listing on Facebook Marketplace that they use to scam guests out of money.  And there's the fact that showing an empty house to a stranger can be risky.  Airbnb and Vrbo don't really vet their guests. 

      I did show mine to a few potential long term guests on Furnished Finder a few years ago.  At that time, I was staying 1.5 hours away.  They didn't end up booking, so that was (2) 3 hour round trips wasted.  

      @John Racine the reason not to communicate off Airbnb like that is because they could ban you if they find out the guest is trying to book directly with you.  The reason a guest would want to call or text you right off the bat is usually to pay you directly with a stolen credit card or bad company check.  And now, Airbnb doesn't give you the guest's real phone number even after booking, and the guest doesn't get yours.  They give virtual phone numbers that expire 2 days after the stay.  If you try to message the guest a real phone number or email, even disguised in text, they will block it.  They've even blocked numbers in a message that weren't an attempt to send a phone number, they're getting very aggressive about it.  Vrbo still gives out phone numbers and emails after booking, however.

      I keep reading that Airbnb doesn’t provide real phone numbers anymore. That isn’t my experience so I wonder why this may be true for some but not others?

      I think they're phasing it in to everyone gradually, like they do other things.  But as you say, you have a PMS, so you may be exempt.

  • Real Estate Broker · Nashville, TN · Member since 2022 · 163 posts · 87 votes
    5mo

    This comes up more than people realize, and I think the answer really depends on your market and what type of guests you're attracting.

    In Nashville, where I operate, we get a mix of bachelorette groups, corporate travelers, and families. The viewing requests almost always come from one of two profiles: either it's a local booking (someone who lives nearby and wants to use the property for a family event or gathering) or it's a longer-stay guest who's essentially trying to decide between an STR and a furnished rental.

    For local bookings, I actually think accommodating a quick walkthrough can be worth it — those tend to be higher-value reservations (multi-night, large group, premium rates) and the person is usually within 20 minutes of the property. The conversion rate on those viewings in my experience has been close to 80%. You're not showing the property to a tire-kicker; you're showing it to someone who already wants to book and just needs to confirm the space works for their specific event.

    For the second category — the longer-stay guest comparison shopping — that's where I'd push back politely. Those guests are usually weighing your STR against a 6-month lease somewhere, and the viewing request is more about indecision than genuine need. A video walkthrough or a detailed Loom video of the space usually satisfies them without you burning an hour of your day.

    The key thing I'd add to what others have said: if you do allow viewings, never show the property while it's occupied by another guest. That's a hard line. Even if the current guest says they're fine with it, it creates liability and trust issues with both parties. Only show during turnover windows or vacancy gaps.

    One more thing — if you're getting a lot of viewing requests, it might be a signal that your listing photos or virtual tour aren't doing enough heavy lifting. I upgraded to professional photos with a 3D Matterport tour on my highest-demand property and the viewing requests dropped to basically zero. People felt like they'd already "been there" before they booked.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Chizoba Ani You handled that exactly right. Setting clear boundaries upfront protects your time and the guest experience. Pre-booking showings are a red flag in most cases. Your photos, reviews and communication should do the selling. Not every inquiry needs to convert.

  • Investor · Dallas · Member since 2025 · 12 posts · 15 votes
    5mo
    It’s a totally reasonable request to want to see it in person. Lots of people are misrepresenting their properties with false or pics. Your verbal assurance without accommodating the request would explain why she left. It signaled to her you were hiding something even if you weren’t. A FaceTime or WhatsApp tour is a great time saver but would definitely accommodate if you wanted the business.
  • John LitzPro Member
    Reno NV · Member since 2022 · 74 posts · 56 votes
    5mo

    That would signal a red flag for me. Even if they did book they would typically be a high maintenance guest that complains regardless of how perfect everything is and gives less than a 5 star no matter what. Excellent photos, 180 great reviews should be plenty enough to trust that it is a real property and the host does actually care about their guests. I don’t want to babysit. Plenty of great guests wanting to book with extra drama. 

  • Property Manager · Remote. VA · Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5mo

    I'm always happy to accommodate such requests, as long as the property is available at that time.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    We get that request and do not accommodate.  One, it is difficult to pass address or other contact info through OTA so it is not feasible.  Second, our units are well priced throughout the year so they will likely book regardless if this person takes it and the other person will likely book sight unseen.  There are reviews and a generalized location on a map, they should not need more.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.