Scratched Floors do I charge?

13 Replies

Hello super hosts. Had a guest check out today and the scratched the crap out of my gorgeous hard wood floors with what looks like broken wheels on a suitcase if I had to guess. Do I file a claim for this or is this what I get for not having fake floors? How much would you charge? No way to fix it without refinishing the whole place I’m guessing. What do you do in this situation?

Oh no @Lucas Carl !  I'm so sorry to hear that.  We have real wood floors in our place as well however they are so light they hide most scratches, dents and dings.  That being said, I always wonder what I will do if/when somebody causes major damage that will require a large investment to fix...after all, it's a floor and you can't always just 'patch' it. 

If it were me, I would certainly start by seeing if a claim can be filed and then charge them the deductible (or some fair portion of the deductible.)  I wold also feel comfortable charging for any service that can possibly provide a 'patch' or small 'replace' situation to the area damaged.  

As for having them refinish your entire floors, that would be a stretch for me, but I wouldn't be opposed to charging them the proportional % of flooring they damaged vs the entire floor to offset the costs.  So, if you had 1000 sq ft of flooring and they damaged ~100 sq ft and it costs $2000 to fix it, you could charge them $200.  Not the ideal situation though. 

Sorry that happened and hopefully insurance can help you out on this.  Keep us posted on how it turns out as my day will come soon enough. :0

Cheers!

@Lucas Carl - get your floor guy in to find out the cost and severity. I was pleasantly surprised when a tenant moved out and the floors I thought needed major work was just $400 of wax and polishing. hope you're as lucky.

Have your housekeeper write them a letter and ask for some compensation sent to the owner of the property.  If that doesn't work, you write a letter to the tenant asking for compensation.  If that doesn't work, escalate it some more and file a claim. 

I've sanded hard wood floors with a belt sander.  It's not fun, but it better than operating a stump grinder.  I operated a stump grinder for about 60 minutes and it was like wrestling with a bear.

Are you sure that the scratches are that deep to require refinishing or would a good buffing do the trick?

305-537-6252

Charge them. Try and fix with some wood filler & appropriate stain / poly and a small paintbrush. Won’t be perfect but do what you can. I’ve even filled in small scratches on espresso hardwood with a dark brown sharpie and a cloth to blend it quick before it dries. Perfect? No. Good enough to pass a once over? Yep.

Here is what my floor guy reccommended for telling what it will take to fix it. put a wet paper towel on it and remove it. If you cant notice it easily immediately after removal it is a light buff and coat. i cant say for charging but I would try.

Well. I sent him a message trying to take the high road. I asked him if his suit case wheels were broken perhaps. He said no. Which is the first time he’s responded to me in several messages.

The plot thickens.

This is an AirBnB. We had a situation when he checked in with a swimsuit from the guest before left behind the bathroom door cleaners didn’t see it. They rushed over and removed it and I refunded him $50. Keep in mind this was a $200 reservation so I’m losing money.

On initial contact I denied him because he could not figure out the platform and asked 20 stupid questions and I could tell he wasn’t worth it. After I denied he figured out how to instant book.

So I’m opening myself up to a 1 star review here. I hate that AirBnB holds the reviews over my head. “You got a bad review because you had a crappy guest? We’re taking away your super host”

Even if I walk away from the $200 (which is what everyone I’ve talked to agreed should be the number) he can still kill me on the review and I’m left losing money with damaged floors.

Start with getting an estimate from your floor guy, you will need this regardless if you choose to collect compensation via Airbnb, depending on the depth you might be able to buff it out or even patch the damage. If that’s not an option Time is of the essence and filing a claim before your next guest so it won’t be left on you to prove who did what. Good luck and may I suggest some area rugs to minimize the risk in the future.

Originally posted by @Lucas Carl :

So I’m opening myself up to a 1 star review here. I hate that AirBnB holds the reviews over my head. “You got a bad review because you had a crappy guest? We’re taking away your super host”

Even if I walk away from the $200 (which is what everyone I’ve talked to agreed should be the number) he can still kill me on the review and I’m left losing money with damaged floors.

Nothing short of a summary execution and public display of the renters corpse would be appropriate, in my humble opinion.  That will keep away problem tenants too.

@Lucas Carl , I hear you!  I'm probably in the minority, but I think you should take the loss and move on.  We can't afford those low reviews.  I once read an article by Matt Landau, and he said that he will give the customer whatever they want, even if it's first-born child . . . just to keep the bad reviews away.  I agree with that.  This is a business, and we have to keep people happy.  Looking toward the future, taking a loss will help you.  A bad review will not.  It sucks, but it's business.   :(

Ugh that blows.  But weren't you just telling me scratches give floors character?  ;)  

Seriously, in this situation you're probably better off leaving it be with the guest.  Since he can nail you with the review, and in all likelihood this is only the first scratch of many that floor will experience... let it slide and patch it up, and take a deep breath and realize it's like the first scratch on a new car.  Inevitable but painful.  But at least the next one won't hurt so much.

Put a throw rug over it , a $15.00 fix 

Update. I took the high road and messaged the guest about the floors and included a picture of the damage. He denied it. 

It's been 3 days. I'm guessing he won't leave a review and I'll just move on. With my gorgeous floors scratched to crap by some idiot I tried to deny in the first place. 

Welcome to the wonder world of vacation rentals! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.