New Multifamily AirBNB Renovation Complete!

New Multifamily AirBNB Renovation Complete!

Jake CohenPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes

The details:

Total of 7 beds, 4 baths divided into 3 units in Steamboat Springs, CO

Purchased off MLS for $695,000, 25% down.

Approximate remodel & Setup Cost: $200,000

Total Cost of project upfront: $373,750

Traditional Mortgage acquired. Current payment: $3450/ mo. Currently working on a refinance to pull the money back out for remodel.

Launched on Airbnb in late November 2018. 

Revenue for 12/18-3/19: Approx. $80,000

Total Profit after all costs 12/18-3/19: Approx. $30,000 

Ended up having some unexpected repairs needed after starting up. Should have been closer to $40,000 but unexpected water heater replacement in 2 units and a flooding issue cost approximately $9,000.

Goal for 2019 Revenue of: $150,000

Profit: $60,000

Superhost status Maintained.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the renovation and what we are doing now! Would love to help others get up and running. Airbnb is a great business!!!

12Reply
120 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 255 posts · 154 votes
7y

Really nice job! Keep us posted with how the numbers work out. I run the local real estate meetup in Steamboat, and "do AirBNB's work here?" is far and away the most common question I get asked.

Are you using a PM in town, or self-managing from Denver?

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tony KarnsPro Member
    Investor · Dallas TX · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Jake, that looks awesome great Job.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Tony Karns thanks for checking it out. A lot of work but came together and super happy with it now.

  • Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    Averaging 900 per day is awesome.   Keep it up.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Rick Imby thanks for the support. It was the busy time of the year so the numbers are definitely good. Going into the mud season so our ADR will be a lot less for the next couple months.

  • Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 255 posts · 154 votes
    7y

    Really nice job! Keep us posted with how the numbers work out. I run the local real estate meetup in Steamboat, and "do AirBNB's work here?" is far and away the most common question I get asked.

    Are you using a PM in town, or self-managing from Denver?

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    Cheers to your success!  Amazing rehab and design work!  Do you ever raise outside capital to do these deals, like an apartment syndication would?

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Aaron H. I’d love to come to the steamboat meetup some time and even talk about my experience with Airbnb’s up there. I have 5 units that I own and manage 2 others. I think the numbers can definitely work but not on every property. I found the multi family properties to be the best value when I purchased.

    I manage my own properties from Denver but have a strong cleaning/ 24 hour contact in Steamboat who handles any issues that come up during a stay.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe as of now I have been finding all projects internally but I could see bringing in outside funding for future projects.

  • Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 255 posts · 154 votes
    7y

    @Jake Cohen We'd love to have you! It's typically a pretty informal happy hour the second Wed. of the month, but you can check out the details on any upcoming events on the Meetup.com page (search Steamboat and Real Estate).

    Or, drop me a line if you're ever in town and want to go skiing/climbing/grab a drink and chat real estate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Jake Cohen Congrats, amazing property and great financials!  I don't know your area at all other than where to find it on a map, but I also operate in a strong winter/spring seasonal market in Scottsdale.  Are HOAs a big deal in your area?  They seem like they would be.  Have HOAs impacted how you operate?

    In North Phoenix/Scottsdale I verify all minimum stay requirements with the HOA before even touring a property, and it seems like only about 1/3 or the properties I investigate allow short term rentals. It also seems like the general public is not so enamored with Airbnb the way it was a few years ago. My local NextDoor App has had a thread complaining about bike week guests at air bnb houses for a week now, while AZCentral.com has run a couple stories about non HOA neighborhoods changing their CCRs or similar restrictions by hiring a lawyer to tally a neighborhood owner vote and then setting forth the changes.

    What seemed like the early days of the internet now does not as much...

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 230 votes
    7y

    @Jake Cohen

    Awesome work! Looks like you have a massive cash cow on your hands now. How much more do you think the property will appraise for now?

  • Rental Property Investor · New Gloucester, ME · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Hi!  i love your place. I have a duplex in North Topsail Beach, NC. We airbnb one side and live in the other side. Its so easy for issues. 

    Airbnb is a great strategy.  I'm looking to find another airbnb investment. Right now, my current unit is strict vacation rental. Busy in the spring/summer. What made you purchase your multi unit in Steamboat Springs? 

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Aaron H. Thanks for the invite. The next time I’m in town during a meetup I will definitely stop by.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @David M. Yes HOAs are huge in Steamboat. However that I why I targeted a small multi family property so I wouldn't have to be involved with HOAs. I now have a duplex and a triplex. In steamboat most HOAs allow short term rentals because probably 50% of all condos are owned by people that don't live there full time. It has been ingrained in the market and I don't see that changing soon. I like the freedom of no HOA so I can make my own decisions on my property.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Taylor Chiu I think the Zillow estimate is about $810,000 which doesn’t take into account the change in condition of the property. My guess would be it would appraise close to $1 Million now.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Lisa Sessions the main reason I started looking in Steamboat is because I love going to steamboat. It is a fantastic winter and summer destination and I hope to move there someday. It also is the least expensive of the mountain main towns in Colorado. When I started working the numbers, they worked so I went for it. I didn’t know much about Airbnb at the start but love the strategy now. What made you choose NC?

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Awesome Job. 

    Are you fully booked throughout the month that determines your cash flow. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, ME · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Jake Cohen! I used to live in Steamboat but moved back to Maine to get started in a more affordable market. I'll make it back to the 'boat later this year. Multi-units don't seem very common in town, whereabouts is the building located? How much did you spend on plowing and shoveling this past winter?

    @Aaron H. Looking forward to attending the meetup soon!

  • Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Jake Cohen Looks awesome. Great job. Best of luck!

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Angela Starkey:

    Are you fully booked throughout the month that determines your cash flow. 

     The monthly cashflow numbers I posted was actually cash flow. We ran about 85% occupancy during that period. Hope that explains it better.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Eric Pierpont it is located in the mountain area of steamboat near Herbage Condos. It's about 1 mile from the base area and right across the street from a bus stop. I think the location is very convenient for people to enjoy Steamboat!

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Conaghan thanks for the reply. Appreciate the support. It's crazy. I've been done with the project for almost 6 months and this was my first chance to post it!

  • Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jake Cohen it looks amazing. Congrats

  • Rental Property Investor · New Gloucester, ME · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Jake Cohen my sister lived 30 mins from our desired location for the Airbnb. We loved it so much that when the other side of the duplex was for sale, she bought it. She’s my co host. We get family vacations but also military families since we are close to three mil bases. I’m trying to establish new criteria that doesn’t include : my sister lives next door!
  • Jake CohenPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Taqouya Young thanks for the encouragement. Appreciate it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.