Ever have a tenant get injured in your STR?

23 Replies

One of my renters fell off the front porch and broke his arm near the elbow.  Alcohol was involved, my renters are refinery contractors.  The cast was from the shoulder to the wrist.  He's not able to work and went home, so did his house mate co-worker friend.  They've been renting from me since August of last year.  I can kiss that $400/week on a $9500 house goodbye.  Oh well, it's a 3BR and has the potential to bring in $600/week now.

Excluding the overdose and a fatality, this is the worst injury a tenant of mine has had.  What's yours?

I had a guest tell me they slipped on the stairs and sprained their ankle (or maybe they broke it?) but thankfully they just mentioned it as "We had a great time except for the trip to the hospital!" and didn't try to sue me or anything.

I had a guest die once.  He went out on the lake in a kayak, and never came back until they found his body underwater.  Rather than clear out, the family brought in reinforcements and stayed the entire time they had booked.  It made the local paper for one day (they hate to print bad news), and I don't think I'm getting a repeat booking.  

I have had at least three die so far. I have a very and comprehensive hold harmless and indemnity vacation clause in my agreement

Originally posted by @Ken Latchers :

I have had at least three die so far. I have a very and comprehensive hold harmless and indemnity vacation clause in my agreement

You hold the record with 3.

I had a lady that books most all the college football game weekends break her toe on a paver stepping stone 3 years ago. She still comes back every year and reserves the house for most all the football games.

@Paul Sandhu

I had a small child fall off my porch. Mom didn’t feel like paying attention as her kid slipped through the bars. Thankfully the child landed in a soft grass spot and the fall was only 3 feet. That was concerning.

Originally posted by @Cheryl Vargas :

@Ken Latchers and @Lucas Carl

Where do you put your hold harmless agreement in the Airbnb platform? Can I see the agreement that you use?  I might want to use it myself. 

I literally just googled “VRBO rental agreement” and tons of them come up. I picked the one that worked best for me. Talk to your attorney of course! 

I don't give out my agreement, a lot of blood went into it via lawyers, research, etc. but it goes out from my PMS. If you are doing this seriously, an airtight agreement with your attorney is a necessity 

@Ken Latchers and @Lucas Carl

Where do you put your hold harmless agreement in the Airbnb platform? Can I see the agreement that you use?  I might want to use it myself. 

@Ken Latchers

Ok, that makes sense. I’ll contact a lawyer to make up an agreement. 

When you said that you send it to the guests via your PMS- does that mean your property managers send it to each guest for them to sign this via email or in person?  Do you have guests staying for daily or monthly time frames?

Thanks!

@Lucas Carl

Thanks! I’ll find a form online, then talk to an attorney 

Do you put your agreement in your house rules via Airbnb, or how do you get the agreement to your guests?

@Cheryl Vargas that depends on your level of comfort. You can put it in house rules and hope that holds up in a court of law or you can email it to every guest and make them sign it. VRBO let’s you upload and attach it to reservations Airbnb does not.

Are you renting out cabins on Camp Crystal Lake?  

PMS or Property Management Systems,  have email templates that will send out things at certain times for you such as a welcome letter or an agreement which will prompt them to sign it digitally and return it to you. It also manages my listings on booking, Airbnb, VRBO, TripAdvisor and make sure I don't get double bookings. If you have more than one property, it is something you should consider. Does many other things also

@Ken Latchers

Ok, that makes sense. I’ll contact a lawyer to make up an agreement. 

When you said that you send it to the guests via your PMS- does that mean your property managers send it to each guest for them to sign this via email or in person?  Do you have guests staying for daily or monthly time frames?

Thanks!

Never heard of it

Originally posted by @Peter Sanchez :
Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

Never heard of it

Originally posted by @Peter Sanchez:
Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th_(franchise)  

Camp Crystal Lake is beautiful in the summer and very reasonable.  

We had a toddler slip on ice and break her leg in the common area of our condo complex. The parents are suing, and they contacted us about it, but thankfully it was outside of our actual unit so the homeowners association is dealing with it.

One died of liver disease. One had his body dumped on the parkway. One was visiting mother of guest, heart attack I think.

Originally posted by @Shelby Pracht :

@Ken Latchers wow that's...impressive?